Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2011, 12:26   #1
Resting in Peace

Unhappy Support Parking Scheme

This was the heading in last week's Observer. Cllr. Britcliffe is supporting a proposed resident's car parking scheme of the streets around the Civic Theatre in Oswaldtwistle. His reasons are that now the Theatre/Arts Centre has become busier it has created more problems for residents.

I do agree must be a nightmare for the local residents, however, I do not agree with someone being able to purchase a part of a public road outside their house for private parking and the traffic will only move out further to other streets..??

We know, that the councils will never be able to afford the land next to it for a long time (in which time it may be sold to another interested party), so the whole thing does not make sense to me.

A similar scheme was put forward in 2008, but needs 75% support and did not meet this. Probably due to resident's reluctance to pay the cost.

It is suggested that to help susidise this scheme, the residents would only have to pay a minimal fee each week; other costs would be taken up by the Oswaldtwistle Area Council ... I wouldn't be too happy with this if I lived in Ossy.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2011, 12:36   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Support Parking Scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
other costs would be taken up by the Oswaldtwistle Area Council ... I wouldn't be too happy with this if I lived in Ossy.
The area councils have all been suspended while the portfolio holder for area councils, Cllr Pritchard leads a review into them. The letter I received says she will consult with all ward councillors to see if they want to keep area councils in their areas and if so, whether they want the council to run them or whether an alternative provision may be more suitable.

I know the administration of them must be quite expensive as several staff are employed for the area council function so at the moment we dont know what will happen.

I suspect the parking scheme and any funding by ossy area council will also be on hold.
Old 24-06-2011, 12:56   #3
Resting in Peace

Thanks Neil.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 16:45   #4
Bee
I am Banned

Let's hope they use the Peel Court land as a car park.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 17:14   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
This was the heading in last week's Observer. Cllr. Britcliffe is supporting a proposed resident's car parking scheme of the streets around the Civic Theatre in Oswaldtwistle. His reasons are that now the Theatre/Arts Centre has become busier it has created more problems for residents.

I do agree must be a nightmare for the local residents, however, I do not agree with someone being able to purchase a part of a public road outside their house for private parking and the traffic will only move out further to other streets..??

We know, that the councils will never be able to afford the land next to it for a long time (in which time it may be sold to another interested party), so the whole thing does not make sense to me.

A similar scheme was put forward in 2008, but needs 75% support and did not meet this. Probably due to resident's reluctance to pay the cost.

It is suggested that to help susidise this scheme, the residents would only have to pay a minimal fee each week; other costs would be taken up by the Oswaldtwistle Area Council ... I wouldn't be too happy with this if I lived in Ossy.
Parking in the area of the civic theatre has been a contention for many years Kate, I know the problems my parents had as the lived in Monarch Street, right opposite the theatre throughout its existence. The only thing is there is a care park to the rear of where my parents lived, which were the old UDC bin wagon depot, which is hardly ever used, mainly because some people are to lazy to walk the extra few yards
Old 27-06-2011, 13:14   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Thanks Neil.
Here is some info HBC just tweeted Area Councils Review

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..