Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2013, 19:02   #31

Re: The Empire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
On the gable end you can clearly see a bricked up gothic arched window, which made me think it might have originally been connected with a church, but I'm really just guessing on that one.
Sorry to be late (!), but I think that the building was originally the New Jerusalem Temple and was built in about 1842. A great grandfather of mine got married there in 1868. And, yes, I too sometimes went to the Empire Dance Hall - around late 1959/early 1960.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-03-2013, 20:33   #32
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
Sorry to be late (!), but I think that the building was originally the New Jerusalem Temple and was built in about 1842. A great grandfather of mine got married there in 1868. And, yes, I too sometimes went to the Empire Dance Hall - around late 1959/early 1960.
You are really late Garinda left this site some months ago, don't thnk he will be back in the near future.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:07   #33

thats the empire sorted, who remembers the one opposite the shopfitters, was it the palace, thats gone altogether now,and new buildings in place, went past at the weekend but didnt take much notice on what the new buildings was,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:31   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloot View Post
thats the empire sorted, who remembers the one opposite the shopfitters, was it the palace, thats gone altogether now,and new buildings in place, went past at the weekend but didnt take much notice on what the new buildings was,
My parents, my brother and myself had regular seats booked at the Palace every Sat night 1st house, front row centre of balcony.

New houses now on the site -
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Osw...,49.04,,0,6.07

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:56   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My parents, my brother and myself had regular seats booked at the Palace every Sat night 1st house, front row centre of balcony.

New houses now on the site -
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Osw...,49.04,,0,6.07
Those were the days when you booked the same seats every week. I used to go to the Palladium with my grandma, I was about 6 or 7 at the time, in those days (unless it was a real headliner film)the films changed 3 times every week Monday Wednesday and Friday, we used to go to the first house 3 times a week and sat in the same seats every time, if there was a big film on we booked the seats in advance, the god old days
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 19:53   #36

i remember the palladium well, usually saturday afternoons, and a western, and running all the way home slapping my bum pretending i was on a horse, ha,ha,but the palace was nearer as we lived on roegreave road then,my doctor was on the same road rhyddings street,dr.millar,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:37   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloot View Post
i remember the palladium well, usually saturday afternoons, and a western, and running all the way home slapping my bum pretending i was on a horse, ha,ha,but the palace was nearer as we lived on roegreave road then,my doctor was on the same road rhyddings street,dr.millar,
good old Cecil was quite friendly with his daughter
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 20:12   #38

The Palace in Rhyddings Street was used as St. Paul's Church Hall for a number of years after it closed as a cinema. The four houses now on the site were built about the mid-80s. I remember Dr. Millar's surgery very well. He never spent much on the decor. The same wallpaper was on for about 30 years, also the orange plastic chairs were there for ages. There were no appointments then. Surgery was morning and evening. There was no receptionist. You sat in the waiting room till he buzzed. If the waiting room was full you stood in the corridor. If the corridor was full you stood on the path outside. Everybody always got seen, though not necessarily for long! Dr. Millar and family used to live in the house next door. Then in the late 50s they had a new house built on Dene Bank Road near the park and he turned his old house into a nursing home.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 19:15   #39
Junior Member+

I went there in my teens on a Sunday evening, it finished at 9.30. If you did not own a watch you knew it was approaching 9.30 as the last record played was always...Michael
Haliday singing 'Some Day I'm Gonna Write the Story of My Life' we were on a cruise a while ago and this was played and I was transported back to the tiny dance floor of my youth ...Happy Days.
churchkirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..