Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2011, 18:57   #1
Bee
I am Banned

The Gobbin Lamp

The Gobbin Lamp is to be restored ;
Oswaldtwistle's Gobbin Lamp set to shine again (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2011, 19:19   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

re: The Gobbin Lamp

The lamp sits in LCC land at the library.
There was a proposal a few years ago to move it across the road to Jubilee Gardens which is HBC land.

That was a very interesting Area Council meeting, one of the best I have attended
Old 25-09-2011, 19:32   #3
God Member

I'll give it two weeks before its nicked for scrap.

Last edited by Neil; 25-09-2011 at 19:56. Reason: removed naughty word you bad boy
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 21:42   #4
God Member

In my 1940s childhood there wasn't a lamp there, although the phrase 'above t'lamp' was in use.
I was glad to see that the news article makes this clear
"The original lamp, a gas lamp, was removed many years ago and a campaign for its return saw two lamps, based on the original style, installed in the early 1970s, although only one of those now remains. "
It may well have been melted down for war munitions, just as house garden railings were.

Last edited by MargaretR; 25-09-2011 at 21:46.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 08:44   #5
Resting in Peace

Re: The Gobbin Lamp

I'm not sure where abouts I live now above or below the lamp, I've a feeling that MargaretR and Mez might be just below and I must be just above
Old 26-09-2011, 09:11   #6
Senior Member+

Jaysay - if you have to ask that question, then clearly you are a gobbin and, in my humble opinion, a Gobbin.

I am told that there are no photos of the original 'big lamp' , so if you know of one, I will arrange for it to be copied and made available.

The position of the big lamp is a source of embarrassment to me, as I wrote a book in the 70s in which I said that it was situated outside the Palladium. I had sought the opinion of Benita Moore before penning it. Luckily, the book went into a second edition and I was able to put the record straight. 'Big lamps' figure in the folk-lore of several Lancashire towns, marking the line or position above or below which a resident is a gobbin or similar word meaning a person of little intelligence.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 09:51   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Jaysay - if you have to ask that question, then clearly you are a gobbin and, in my humble opinion, a Gobbin.

I am told that there are no photos of the original 'big lamp' , so if you know of one, I will arrange for it to be copied and made available.

The position of the big lamp is a source of embarrassment to me, as I wrote a book in the 70s in which I said that it was situated outside the Palladium. I had sought the opinion of Benita Moore before penning it. Luckily, the book went into a second edition and I was able to put the record straight. 'Big lamps' figure in the folk-lore of several Lancashire towns, marking the line or position above or below which a resident is a gobbin or similar word meaning a person of little intelligence.
Think you got me wrong Bob, Where I live I think must be just above the place the lamp was situated, but I'm not 100% sure, I can't see through houses, but by my reckoning I'm on the boarder line, I was born bellow the Lamp by the way, a long way bellow
Old 26-09-2011, 15:31   #8
Bee
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The lamp sits in LCC land at the library.
There was a proposal a few years ago to move it across the road to Jubilee Gardens which is HBC land.

That was a very interesting Area Council meeting, one of the best I have attended
Here's the "move the lamp" thread;
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...amp-12391.html
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 16:03   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was born bellow the Lamp by the way, a long way bellow
and about four miles west!
Old 26-09-2011, 17:41   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
and about four miles west!
If I've told you once I've told you a million times don't exaggerate
Old 26-09-2011, 18:03   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
If I've told you once I've told you a million times don't exaggerate
You were the one who told me your were born in Blackburn when I was on one of my "support your local football club" rants!
Old 26-09-2011, 18:23   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You were the one who told me your were born in Blackburn when I was on one of my "support your local football club" rants!
Ya thats right but was brought up from being about 5 days old bellow the lamp in Ossy, but those 5 early days were enough to make me a life long Rover
Old 26-09-2011, 18:43   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ya thats right but was brought up from being about 5 days old bellow the lamp in Ossy, but those 5 early days were enough to make me a life long Rover
Yes, well, I have given you special dispensation, so carry on with my blessing.
Old 26-09-2011, 20:04   #14
God Member

What exactly is meant by this phrase 'below the lamp'? The library stands on that part of Union road which roughly runs in an East-West direction. So is anyone north of the line where the lamp stands a Gobbiner/Gobbinlander? Or is it the other way round? Or is it something to do with it's position just by Union Rd, in which case it's totally meaningless - which is something to be expected from anyone from Ossy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 20:21   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
What exactly is meant by this phrase 'below the lamp'? The library stands on that part of Union road which roughly runs in an East-West direction. So is anyone north of the line where the lamp stands a Gobbiner/Gobbinlander? Or is it the other way round? Or is it something to do with it's position just by Union Rd, in which case it's totally meaningless - which is something to be expected from anyone from Ossy.
The land is lower - think Tinker Brew.
Are you one of those people who thinks a trip to Scotland is all uphill?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..