Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2009, 00:54   #1

Thinking of opening a business

I'm unemployed at the mo, and it seems the commercial rents on Union Road are quite cheap - starting at £75 per week for the old Bargain Booze.

Any ideas for a business which one could start, and where stock can be easily obtained? Or if anybody is interested in a partnership, I would be interested in hearing from you

Last edited by poncho; 20-03-2009 at 00:59.
poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2009, 05:35   #2
God Member

Re: Thinking of opening a business

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho View Post
I'm unemployed at the mo, and it seems the commercial rents on Union Road are quite cheap - starting at £75 per week for the old Bargain Booze.

Any ideas for a business which one could start, and where stock can be easily obtained? Or if anybody is interested in a partnership, I would be interested in hearing from you
Don't let the rent deceive you, check out how much the business rates are
Old 20-03-2009, 10:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Don't let the rent deceive you, check out how much the business rates are

Good point, just checked the Valuation Office website (www.voa.gov.uk)

Yeah it looks like the council want to stick a whopping £200 per month for rates, though I guess you could always apply for small business rate relief to knock it down 40% or so

Also if my brain serves me correctly, I am sure the government announced free business rate between April 09 - 10 for small businesses to kickstart the economy
Old 20-03-2009, 11:04   #4

Hello, there, like the other member was saying this day and age with the tax on everything its not worth doing.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 12:09   #5
God Member

good luck if you do go ahead with it
Old 20-03-2009, 12:52   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho View Post

If your going to start a business, then think about what people want to buy.
Every body has to eat, so a food business is the way to go, not a take away, they are closing as fast as they open in Acc.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 13:33   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as a general rule of thumb Poncho, "Partnerships" are NOT a good idea.
Old 20-03-2009, 15:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as a general rule of thumb Poncho, "Partnerships" are NOT a good idea.
Fair enough
Old 20-03-2009, 19:00   #9
God Member

That is a tough decision to make at the moment, food yes, people will always need to eat, but there are lots of food shops around, so would need to be extraordinary food to be a real success. In any business at the moment, competition is fierce, so you need to be very good at what you do, or live a limited life in the pretence that you are good at what you do. Cashy is right I would say, because two people are not the same, so one will always feel they are putting more in than the other. I was once told, the business person who does not plan correctly, is the one who is most surprised when it all goes wrong! Good piece of advice that! Good luck.
Old 20-03-2009, 19:35   #10

I'd think long and hard before signing anything at the moment, say your rent and rates are £125 a week and two of you want £500 a week between you and you make a net profit of say 5% then you are going to have to take over £12,000 a week every week month in month out, that's over £2,000 every trading day. You will need insurance fitting out the premises advertising etc etc. We should go back to my idea that when a big supermarket gets planning permission they have to provide a little row of cheap shops. Whatever you decide best of luck with it
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 19:46   #11
God Member

Thats ok if your selling houses wadey, but if it is food, the profit margins are more like 100 - 200 percent, and you would need to sell many more sandwiches to pay your way, it is outlet dependant, and volume is the key to many sales of smaller value, but you need to have a good product to turn the volume, to turn the volume, you need staff, wages, probably a delivery service, and would still need, in many business outlets, an internet sales website. One of the killers is advertising, £5,000 is not unusual for a small business to be in yellow pages, that alone is £100 per week.
Old 20-03-2009, 21:50   #12
God Member

why does a butty shop need a web prescence? or in fat most websites. unless your clients come from > 5 miles away i'd say a website is rarely a benefit to your business...

whilst I'm all e commerce, I'm also sensible enough to see the benefit/cost ratio is not good on some businesses

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 22:54   #13
K-P

Cost of a website is minimal while more and more people use google over yellow pages.

BTW wadey arnt your sums wrong by over 10k .. 125 rent. 500 a week each and 5% isnt 12 thousand a week and 2 thousand a day.... Too many noughts
Old 26-03-2009, 17:43   #14
Junior Member+

its not bad spot for business it has to be some thing which is not in ossy . try speaking to lancashire enterprize i think they provide free advise and start up grant up to £2500
it will be worth a try ..
starting a business is not easy but it has rewards if u r willing to work hard. good luck---
bargains4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 18:32   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargains4u View Post
its not bad spot for business it has to be some thing which is not in ossy . try speaking to lancashire enterprize i think they provide free advise and start up grant up to £2500
it will be worth a try ..
starting a business is not easy but it has rewards if u r willing to work hard. good luck---
Not a bad spot if its anything other than food i'm afraid. You already have a butty shop at the end of that row, then Tesco will be opening soon. You then have another butty shop on the next block. Then the Co-op. Then four more butty shops before you get to the Rose & Crown. Then theres the chippys, newsagents & pizza/kebab shops.

I wish you all the luck in the world in whatever you decide to do, but I don't think it lies in food on Union Road.

The one thing involving food on Union Road that is missing is a decent fresh fruit & veg shop. At the moment you have to go all the way into Accrington to go to the market. So that might be an idea.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..