Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 15:59   #1
Give, give, give member

Town Hall flag.

Does anyone know why the flag on Ossy Town Hall is being flown at half-mast?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2010, 08:01   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Town Hall flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Does anyone know why the flag on Ossy Town Hall is being flown at half-mast?
Heard last night that former St Oswald's Councillor George Griffiths has sadly passed away. George was an ex-police Sargent at Accrington and set up the Accrington branch of Victim Support after retiring from the force RIP George
Old 06-02-2010, 18:20   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Heard last night that former St Oswald's Councillor George Griffiths has sadly passed away. George was an ex-police Sargent at Accrington and set up the Accrington branch of Victim Support after retiring from the force RIP George
Thank you.

I knew you'd know.

Old 06-02-2010, 18:34   #4
Resting in Peace

Just wondered, seeing it is not the Town Hall anymore, why they do fly the flag still for these occasions ?

Noticed last week, that they had the flag half mast at Clayton Con too.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 00:37   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just wondered, seeing it is not the Town Hall anymore, why they do fly the flag still for these occasions ?

The address is still Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre, Town Hall, Oswaldtwistle, and I suppose it's still council run.

I'm just wondering who they've trained to run up the flag pole.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:16   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Not sure but I think they fly the flag at half mast on all council buildings when ex-councillors die, but not sure maybe Bernard, Graham or claytonender can shed some light
Old 08-02-2010, 10:11   #7
Resting in Peace

Heard over the weekend that former Labour County Councillor Eddie Neville passed away too. RIP Eddie
Old 08-02-2010, 10:42   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Not sure but I think they fly the flag at half mast on all council buildings when ex-councillors die, but not sure maybe Bernard, Graham or claytonender can shed some light
I think the flag in Accrington is only flown at half mast when a former Mayor has died. It's also flown at half mast as well when Royalty die. There's probably one or two other occasions as well.

The one up Ossy may well have been flown at half mast because of the death of George Griffiths. Was George a former Chairman of Ossy District Council,in the old urban district days.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:04   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I think the flag in Accrington is only flown at half mast when a former Mayor has died. It's also flown at half mast as well when Royalty die. There's probably one or two other occasions as well.

The one up Ossy may well have been flown at half mast because of the death of George Griffiths. Was George a former Chairman of Ossy District Council,in the old urban district days.
No Bernard was only an HBC councillor
Old 18-02-2010, 23:16   #10

I think the flag is flown half-mast on all Council buildings when a councillor or former councillor from anywhere in Hyndburn has died. Sometimes they were councillors from the pre-1974 authorities, i.e. Accrington Corporation and the former Urban Districts, like Oswaldtwistle. I understand that as well as George Griffiths, former councillor Jean Sharples from Rishton has died. She was only a councillor for a short time but her husband, Roy Sharples, was a Rishton councillor for a long time, though never Mayor.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..