Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2006, 18:07   #1
Give, give, give member

Angry Town with no Post Office.

Having just returned fron sunnier climes, I was sad to learn that Ossy's last remaining, of the three original Post Offices, is due to close down soon.

Moor End Post Office is to close, and a counter service will be available instore at the Co-op.

The word on the street says that the news was announced too late for last week's Observer, but was in the Telegraph.

Can anyone shed anymore light on this sad story?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2006, 19:00   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Town with no Post Office.

Is that one over west-end not still open Rindy?or is that one closed down too?
Old 25-09-2006, 19:06   #3
Resident Waffler

How was the holiday Rindykins?

What the heck are they playing at with Post Offices? Even the one on Abbey Street is under threat of downgrading. In a bit we'll have to go to Blackburn to post a letter!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 22:35   #4
Give, give, give member

You may be right Mthead, there may still be one in the West End, but that's not really very handy for any pensioner who lives in the centre of Ossy.

Incidentally, the main Ossy Post Office was opened as an opticains after its closure, by Britcliffe chum Kevin Horkins, which lasted about six months after being launched in a blaze of publicity, and now sadly still stands empty.

Stanhill P.O. (home of Spinning Jenny inventor James Hargreaes), closed in the 90's.

As for the changes brought about to the main P.O. in Accrington, its good to see Greg Pope, amongst others, fighting the proposed closure and job losses.

The holiday was wonderful by the way, a real tonic.
Swimming in the balmy Agean Sea every day helped by condition tremendously...and I'm trying to have it added to my prescription.

Old 26-09-2006, 07:28   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

Incidentally, the main Ossy Post Office was opened as an opticains after its closure, by Britcliffe chum Kevin Horkins, which lasted about six months after being launched in a blaze of publicity, and now sadly still stands empty.

It lasted less than six weeks - it was opened in Nov and closed by Christmas.!!!!

Whilst I'm obviously unhappy about the loss of a post office in Ossy, if the services are catered for elsewhere I guess there isn't too much of a problem (as long as it is totally catered for and we don't have a drop in service - most likely to be the case). My main concern is the fact that we'll have another empty shop. When I did my Talking Shop thing the same things kept cropping up time and time again - a town full of kebab shops and hairdressers; no future for the town; my regular customers are older people.

The last one is the key really. If all the regular customers to local shops are older people (time on their hands and live local in condensed terraced houses) then the sad fact is that the local shopper is a dying breed.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 08:59   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
The last one is the key really. If all the regular customers to local shops are older people (time on their hands and live local in condensed terraced houses) then the sad fact is that the local shopper is a dying breed.
Why is that the case Gayle? We are all getting older.
Old 26-09-2006, 10:56   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
A lot of the older shoppers who live locally to the shops don't drive. They are the ones that popped to the shops every day, didn't go to the supermarket once a week, and kept the smaller shops going.

I think the government always planned to close and downgrade Post Offices, when they encouraged pensions and benefits to be paid directly into people's bank accounts.

You can't even renew your tv licence at the P.O. anymore, you have to go to as participating supermarker or garage.

Old 26-09-2006, 11:12   #8
God Member

Quote:
I think it's because we, and people ten or twenty years older than us are a 'car' generation. The current 'old' people are not! So yes, in theory there should be new old people coming along to replenish the stock but in reality they have different way of shopping.

Old 26-09-2006, 11:22   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I think it's because we, and people ten or twenty years older than us are a 'car' generation.
I hope that 'wee' was aimed at you and RindyRoo If you are including me then you meant 15 to 25 years older than us

You are of course correct. I suppose only time will tell if we start to shop more locally as we get older. Maybe we will prefer quality over price and decide on the local butcher not Asda.
Old 26-09-2006, 12:18   #10
God Member

Quote:
I hope that 'wee' was aimed at you and RindyRoo If you are including me then you meant 15 to 25 years older than us
No, I was including you in the 'we'. I didn't know how old you were but guessed you were the same age as me and Rindy - well you look it anyway.

Quote:
You are of course correct.
I think you'll find I often am!

Old 26-09-2006, 13:18   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
well you look it anyway.
Its a good job I like you or else I would have done something nasty to you for thinking I was as old as Rindy
Old 26-09-2006, 16:10   #12
Resident Waffler

On a slight tangent of local shops (which isn't quite so much of a tangent as whether or not Neil looks his age. ) There used to be an excelllent butcher in Willows Lane (lower down) but he retired and now we have an empty shop. On the opposite corner we had a terrific baker who made the most wonderful range of breads but people preferred to buy cheap loaved from ASDA so that too is closed.

We've still got Harry's round the corner from us but as corner shops go he isn't exactly stocked to the rafters.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 16:11   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
No, I was including you in the 'we'. I didn't know how old you were but guessed you were the same age as me and Rindy - well you look it anyway.

No, suprisingly whipper snapper Neil is actually younger than us, despite the fast disappearing grey hair and unhealthy pallor.

Perhaps growing up in Langho he had a very long paper round...or a long journey to the Post Office to buy his gob stoppers.

Old 26-09-2006, 17:35   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
No, suprisingly whipper snapper Neil is actually younger than us, despite the fast disappearing grey hair and unhealthy pallor.

Perhaps growing up in Langho he had a very long paper round...or a long journey to the Post Office to buy his gob stoppers.

Actually, I knew all along how old he was but he started it by saying he was 25 years younger - the cheeky monkey!

Anyway, I think we look remarkably good for our age - don't we Rindy?

Old 26-09-2006, 17:39   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Actually, I knew all along how old he was but he started it by saying he was 25 years younger - the cheeky monkey!

Anyway, I think we look remarkably good for our age - don't we Rindy?
Yes, you masssage mine, and I'll do yours.

We both look great for our age.

It must be something in the water...or is that Sarah Miles I was supposed to say that to?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..