Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2006, 14:11   #1
Senior Member+

Union Road, Ossy

I have just nipped to the shop across from St Pauls School, and as I was on my way i turned and looked at Peel House (The old nursing home next to the town hall) Just wondering if anyone knows whats going on with it, as it really is a bit of an eye sore. Also The Foxhill Pub now has steel over the doors and windows, looks like a run down council house, anyone know if anything is going to be done with these two buildings? As that area is now starting to look run down.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-10-2006, 14:17   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Union Road, Ossy

You need to put on your "rose coloured spectacles", then look again. lol

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ism-25075.html

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 15:04   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Peel House belongs to Lancashire County Council.
Hyndburn BC wanted to buy it to turn into a car park for the Civic Theatre. A wonderful idea I here you all say. Well yes it would be good not only for visitors to the Theatre but also local residents who have the problems caused by parking during shows etc at the Theatre.

Unfortunately Lancashire County Council refused to accept Hyndburns bid saying it was not enough money. Lancashire could have sold it to HBC for the good of Oswaldtwistle at a reduced price so we could have had a car park, and got rid of an eye sore at the same time. LCC were more interested in making some money than helping us Council Tax payers out, the majority of the tax actually goes to Lancashire anyway.

I would like to thank Lancashire County Council for being the caring Council they like to tell us on all those "welcome to Lancashire" signs we see.
I would also like to thank our County Councillor for Oswaldtwistle for assisting HBC and making sure we got the site

(Maybe someting to do with HBC being Tory run and the County Councillor being Labour. Or maybe she just does not care about Ossy, after all she lives in Clayton-le-Moors so isn't even a gobbiner )
Old 26-10-2006, 15:07   #4
Resident Waffler

You know the well worn phrase "Politically Correct"? We need to coin a phrase for looking at things through rosy specs as per instructions from PB - how about "Britcliffically Correct" or BC for short?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 15:17   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
You know the well worn phrase "Politically Correct"? We need to coin a phrase for looking at things through rosy specs as per instructions from PB - how about "Britcliffically Correct" or BC for short?
Perhaps Britcliffe Statement, then it can be shortened to B.S.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 15:51   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
also local residents who have the problems caused by parking during shows etc at the Theatre
This would have been a fantastic idea, I live just round the corner and its a nightmare, especially if we ever go to asda in the evening and we have to park round the corner from your own house, and lug all our shopping and a 7 month old baby round.

Our street has appealed to the council in the past about this problem to get the residents only parking (like they do around Ossy Mills) but to no avail.
Old 26-10-2006, 16:47   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly
Our street has appealed to the council in the past about this problem to get the residents only parking (like they do around Ossy Mills) but to no avail.
There is no residents parking around Ossy Mills. Just non enforcable boards belonging to Ossy Mills that say residents parking only
Old 26-10-2006, 20:53   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Peel House belongs to Lancashire County Council.
I think you meant to say 'belonged'. LCC had to sell the property for the best price that they could get - if they'd have sold it for less than the market value they would have been accountable to their voters. HBC were not prepared to pay the market value but somebody else was so they sold it to him.

I too wish that it was a car park. It would benefit all the shops around that area and would help the Town Hall - perhaps if HBC weren't such cheapskates and could actually look forward a bit they would have offered a fair price for it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 21:00   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I think you meant to say 'belonged'. LCC had to sell the property for the best price that they could get - if they'd have sold it for less than the market value they would have been accountable to their voters. HBC were not prepared to pay the market value but somebody else was so they sold it to him.

I too wish that it was a car park. It would benefit all the shops around that area and would help the Town Hall - perhaps if HBC weren't such cheapskates and could actually look forward a bit they would have offered a fair price for it.

So who actually does own it ...does anyone know ? and if so what do they plan doing with it?
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 21:05   #10
God Member

They have eventually been granted planning permission to build 16 houses and 1 apartment. I say 'eventually' as it took HBC about three years to finally allow the plans to pass. I wonder if they were making a point to LCC - they wouldn't sell to HBC so HBC didn't let planning permission through!!!!!

Ah well, it's all gone through now so we just have to wait for them to start!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 21:18   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
they wouldn't sell to HBC so HBC didn't let planning permission through!!!!!

Ah well, it's all gone through now so we just have to wait for them to start!
Come on Gayle, HBC would not be so petty, after all, they are grown adults, aren't they?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 21:25   #12
God Member

omg Less we all know how thoughtfull and kind they are down there always willing to help and all ..and i doubt theyve changed that much since i left ...

Its a shame to hear the foxhill has been boarded up that used to be a decent pub and ideal for the residents in and around the town hall area ...
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 21:55   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I think you meant to say 'belonged'.
Sorry yes I know it has been sold.
Quote:
they would have been accountable to their voters
Exactly my point. We are the voters and I am sure many of us would have liked to see a car park.
Old 26-10-2006, 22:04   #14
Resident Waffler

A car park would have been an excellent idea there. We've had to park miles away sometimes when going to the theatre and always feel we are in some residents parking spot.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 11:27   #15
Senior Member+

On the car park issue, there is actually another car park theatre goers can use, its directly behind the row on Union Road across from the town hall. If you go do the side of the gym as though you were going to Milton Street and take your first right, its there, and its quite big, but nobody seems to know about it.

Hopefully building will go ahead soon, Peel House is very depressing, and it keeps being set on fire, and our electricity station is right next to it so we have power cuts regularly.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..