Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2005, 21:08   #16
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: West End Memories

I never knew of anyone who died at the Swanee though a little boy, who I knew very well, drowned in the lodge of Stanhill Spinning Mill. Strange that the mill, which was in West End, was called Stanhill Mill.

I remember the mud at the Swanee. One of my brothers once fell in it and we had to walk home with him covered from head to foot in sludge and reeking of the stuff. I was supposed to 'cover' for him, at home, while he dashed straight up to the bathroom. I was only about 7 and walked into the sitting room trailing his stinky pullover behind me so the cover was blown. He didn't get into the trouble he thought he would. Neither did I, the day I fell into the pig-muck at Feathers' farm, but that's another story.

I don't suppose Kemp Delph still exists, does it? It was an old quarry, full of water, in a field behind the main road in Stanhill and right at the edge of Ossy Moors. It had a steep 'cliff' at one end and a sloping 'beach' at the other. We used it as the local lido in the Summer, for swimming and sunbathing, and people used to take picnics up there at weekends.

Last edited by West Ender; 22-03-2005 at 21:09.
West Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-03-2005, 21:35   #17
Give, give, give member

Kemp Delph is still there, though the last time l walked past it was completly fenced off. lt must have been the most dangerous place in the world to swim in on a hot day, it's a sheer drop. l remember lots of cows falling in and drowning in it. l was a softy and never dared to.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2005, 22:29   #18
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Kemp Delph is still there, though the last time l walked past it was completly fenced off. lt must have been the most dangerous place in the world to swim in on a hot day, it's a sheer drop. l remember lots of cows falling in and drowning in it. l was a softy and never dared to.
I never dived off the 'cliff', though I used to dive into Stanhill Mill lodge - God knows how I survived my childhood, that lodge was full of rubbish.

Lots of people did dive at Kemp Delph, it was the place for teenaged lads to show off to the girls. I swam there many a time and the water was freezing cold. We probably weren't as aware of Danger as people are today and, of course, there weren't the facilities that are around now. It was either a delph or Accy Baths if you felt like a swim on a hot day. Accidents used to happen, occasionally, but it was just part of Life. I wouldn't like to say whether things have changed for the better or not but they've certainly changed.
Old 16-08-2005, 20:45   #19

Just found this web site and found your comments about West End interesting. I was wondering if anyone remembers my dad or his brothers who lived on Percy Street - Rex, David or Percy Young? I have clear memories of playing in the fields around the dairy at the top of Percy Street.

Last edited by rex29; 16-08-2005 at 20:47.
rex29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 20:58   #20
Passed away 25-11-09

I remember a man called David Young but he was about my parents' age and would now be in his 90s. I guess that wasn't your dad?
Old 07-11-2005, 14:54   #21
JMJ

The Thwaites Arms is now called The Brewers Arms
JMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 20:30   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

Where is/was the Thwaites Arms, JMJ? There was only one pub when I lived in West End and that was the Hare and Hounds, on Blackburn Rd. almost opposite the junction with Thwaites Rd. That was in the days when Aspden Lane was just a cinder-track through the fields up to West End School.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:33   #23
JMJ

The pub Thwaites Arms now renamed The Brewers Arms is situated on Thwaites Road at the bottom of Banbury Avenue
JMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:51   #24
Senior Member+

We lived on White Ash Lane in one of the old cottages right on the bend. We were back in May and walked by the Kemp Delph, it was full of rubbish and styrophone. The landlord of the Thwaites Arms during the late 60s was Niel Franklin ex Portsmouth and England center half, he used to play occassionally on sunday mornings on the Whiteash. The old mill at the bottom of Roe Greave Rd has gone and is now new houses.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 13:03   #25
Resting in peace

I can remember the old dairy opposite the cricket ground. I used to be fascinated by the bottles coming down the chute to be packed in crates. And they made wonderful ice cream. I know people have to have houses, but it does seem a shame sometimes that it's so built up now.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 13:06   #26
Resting in peace

One piece of trivia - Oswaldtwistle is/was the largest urban district in England. Church was the smallest.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 00:39   #27
Junior Member+

people still go in kemp delph swimming and jumping off cliffs and the brewers arms in situated next to the SPAR on Thwaites road across from wordworths close.
sledden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 18:31   #28

I used to live on central avenue we were'nt part of stanhill or west end I can remember bonfire time and the running battles with the westenders I can remember the swanney and the pickle onion factory and i can remember the fields all round before they built cardigan ave
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 20:33   #29
Passed away 25-11-09

I used to know a girl who lived on Central Ave whose name was Pat Byrne (or maybe Burns, I'm not sure). I haven't seen her for about 55 years!
Old 08-02-2009, 20:59   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the "Dunnes" also lived on yon, quite a big family, i knew a couple of em.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..