Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 13:42   #1
Junior Member+

What would you like to see happen in Oswaldtwistle

With the local elections this week, I was thinking what I would like to see happen in Oswaldtwistle over the nxt 12 month's.Not sure really who to vote for as I don't know what the candidate's are proposing to do.I would like to see more community wardens on the street, for a start.I would also like something to be done with.

Peel Court
The Palladium
The Old Firestation

Anyone else got any other idea's?:engsmil:
Alan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2006, 13:58   #2
God Member

Re: What would you like to see happen in Oswaldtwistle

You don't say which part of Oswaldtwistle you live in. There are three wards - St Andrews, Immanuel and St Oswalds.

I'm representing Labour in St Andrews on Thursday and I'll quite happily speak to you about our plans if you live in my ward.

Suffice to say though that Labour is planning on putting an extra 30 PCSOs into Hyndburn plus 24 Community Wardens (recently made redundant by our Conservative controlled council) onto the street. All those buildings are in St Andrews ward so they'll be high on my list of priorities if I get elected.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 14:11   #3
Junior Member+

Sorry, yes I forgot to mention I live on Lord street.
Alan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 17:00   #4
Resting in Peace

All these buildings are eye-sores of course and need sorting out, but think Gayle mentioned were privately owned, so a little difficult just yet.

The one building I find dismal is actually at Church traffic lights, next to the Post Office .. ok, so not quite Ossy, but is almost the entrance to Ossie, and wonder people haven't turned back again!

Think they are making a pleasant job around these lights in general.

There was a discussion about the 'Town Square' in Ossie and where it could be. As Ossie is just one long road practically with other roads leading off, there is no heart of the town as such, and think one should be created.

Re: Jubilee gardens, this could be ideal .. a little stark at the moment, but lots of flowers, lovely benches ya' know something to invite you there .. where people could go in the summer and feel they were in the centre of this community .. a sort of meeting point.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 21:07   #5
God Member

Even though they are privately owned properties they will only get planning permission if they are in keeping with the needs of the town. So Councillors can still have an influence over the future uses of the properties.

The discussion was not about where Town Square should be - it was about the Accy Obs calling Jubilee Gardens the Town Square when its name is Jubilee Gardens.

Old 01-05-2006, 21:15   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle

The discussion was not about where Town Square should be - it was about the Accy Obs calling Jubilee Gardens the Town Square when its name is Jubilee Gardens.
Yes, I know all this Gayle, just think it would be lovely to have a centre and heart in the town, Jubilee Gardens was just a sort of geographical suggestion to Ossie having a 'Town Square', as half way down Union Road.
Old 01-05-2006, 21:25   #7
God Member

My point is Katie that it already is.

Old 01-05-2006, 22:04   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
My point is Katie that it already is.
Is it ?? Well, anyway, not quite inviting enough, perhaps can be made a little more 'cosy' So what ya' saying that it is actually a sort of Town Square, under the pseudo name of Jubilee Gardens ?? .. tee hee .. getting more confused by the moment
Old 02-05-2006, 18:07   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
not quite inviting enough, perhaps can be made a little more 'cosy'
It must be very inviting to the younger members of the comunity, they like gathering there in large groups in the evening.
Old 02-05-2006, 18:27   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
It must be very inviting to the younger members of the comunity, they like gathering there in large groups in the evening.
Thought somebody might come up with this comment Neil, but we can't succumb to what people see as some sort of 'yob' culture can we? We can't let the young people destroy our parks, meeting places .. have to keep fighting this. I think it is slightly improving. Definitely better in Barnes Square at Clayton since CCtv cameras installed and regular patrols, it's a little sad to be negative, don't you think ?
Old 02-05-2006, 19:07   #11

What would you like to see happen in Oswaldtwistle ..?

ummm........bulldoze half of it???........
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:35   #12

OOPSA........everyone gone deathly quiet.......and glaring at me...
Old 03-05-2006, 10:34   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow
OOPSA........everyone gone deathly quiet.......and glaring at me...
No, just glad that according to recently published figures Hyndburn, and Oswaldtwistle imparticular, has seen the biggest price increases for housing in the country, so that you'll never be able to afford to move back here.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:37   #14

Hmmpphhhhhhhhh.....
Old 04-05-2006, 20:39   #15

Never mind community wardens, we NEED more policemen patroling. If parents and teachers can't control youngsters. Community wardens have no chance. And what's Jubilee Gardens? The things that were there before, were pulled down to make way for The J Gardens. If they had been looked after they would still be nice now. Same as the fountain near Scaitcliffe House not looked after... demolished and an old wheel stuck there instead.Wasting rate payers money, again, and again and again. Same as the town centre, loads of money spent. and what.. half the shops empty half dead trees and not enough seating. Why oh why could we not have had Broadway with a glass roof , so that when it's raining people can do their shopping undercover. And sit if they want. Like they can in Blackburn and other places. Come on Hyndburn pull your finger and get something done NOW!!! :engsmil: P S. Look what they've done to Church
It's a disgrace there's nothing left to take away now. Everythings gone.

Last edited by thindle; 04-05-2006 at 20:43.
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..