Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 23:25   #1
Resting in Peace

Yellow Line ?

I have occasion at least twice a week to turn into Rhyddings Street at its junction with Union Road ... turning left. Always difficult to get up there due to the narrowness of the road caused by parked cars.

Problem is people turn into Rhyddings Street, about 15 metres available to allow traffic coming down. Gets into a stalemate sometimes. Cars waiting for people to get through coming down ... people at the junction wishing to turn right into Union Road, but can't move due to being blocked by cars coming down Union Road wishing to turn right into Rhyddings Street due to cars waiting to go up Rhyddings Street .... Ok .. you must understand what I am talking about if you live in Ossy.

Tuesday, I turned left to go up Rhyddings Street, to be confronted by white van ... thought he was parked, and edged a little to see what was coming down ... course there was ... then realised white van wasn't parked, just waiting for cars to get through. Got the 'eyes to heaven' and shake of head from more elderley than me white summer ratter hatted gentleman ... he got through ... I just smiled sweetly as he passed.

After all this wittering ... don't wish to deprive any residents of their parking, but is a busy junction and feel some yellow lines should be introduced here on one side of the road.

Just wondered if anyone agrees before I e-mail L.C.C. ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2009, 23:32   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Yellow Line ?

It is bad.

I turn up Lord Steet, at the side of the Town Hall, and avoid Ryddings Street.

Mind you all the streets around there are bad, especially Catlowhall Street at school drop off time, or if there's something on at St. Paul's, or St. Mary's.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 23:38   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It is bad.

I turn up Lord Steet, at the side of the Town Hall, and avoid Ryddings Street.

Mind you all the streets around there are bad, especially Catlowhall Street at school drop off time, or if there's something on at St. Paul's, or St. Mary's.
Yes, they are Garinda .. but these are minor roads, Union Road is the main through road in Ossy ... preventing the major flow of traffic.
Old 11-06-2009, 23:53   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes, they are Garinda .. but these are minor roads, Union Road is the main through road in Ossy ... preventing the major flow of traffic.
I'm lost then.

Where would you like the yellow lines?

They are already on the eastern side of Union Rd, and continue up the bottom of Rhyddings St.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 23:59   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm lost then.

They are already on the eastern side of Union Rd, and continue up the bottom of Rhyddings St.
Meant a yellow line on Rhyddings Street to allow enough width for two way traffic, and not holding up traffic in Union Road, because they can't get past cars wishing to turn left or right into Rhyddings Street. Shucks, will try and do a diagram of some sort.
Old 12-06-2009, 00:17   #6
God Member

I know what you are trying to say Kate and think it is a problem that is common throughout the borough. Is there not a rule in the Highway Code about parking to close to a junction? If there is a lot of people seem to be ignoring it.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:06   #7
God Member

the problem is teh traffic laws we already have dont get enforced and those that do only get enforced up until 5pm when its going home time for teh traffic wardens

if a cars obstructing a junction it should be towed away, no warning no second chances just drag the thing to teh impound and wait for teh owner to call and collect it after a large fine

maybe a tow truck patroling teh streets picking up cars parked illigaly woudl be a good job

i would love to drag cars away all day long

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:17   #8
God Member

not sure if it's revelant here , but its the rule in my area that NO Parking is allowed for the width of the sidewalk/pavement at road and street junctions , i.e. if the pavement of the street perpendicular to where you are parking is 6' wide the front of your car must be at least 6' back from the pavement corner . More of an aid to pedestrians who want to cross the street than motorists but it does help with visibility .
Its also the Law that when you park you must be facing the direction of traffic flow (no parking on the opposite/wrong side of the street .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:24   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
the problem is teh traffic laws we already have dont get enforced and those that do only get enforced up until 5pm when its going home time for teh traffic wardens

if a cars obstructing a junction it should be towed away, no warning no second chances just drag the thing to teh impound and wait for teh owner to call and collect it after a large fine

maybe a tow truck patroling teh streets picking up cars parked illigaly woudl be a good job

i would love to drag cars away all day long
It seems the laws we already have only appear to be enforced in the town centre. The traffic wardens can be seen taking pics on their fancy cameras if someone is overparked by a matter of minutes. Shame they can't move their butts out of the town centre and enforce parking laws elsewhere. We all know illegal parking goes on but seems there is no deterrent
Old 12-06-2009, 08:19   #10

You think you've got it bad? There are always cars parked on Glebe St in Great Harwood causing the exact same stalemate. The centre of the town becomes gridlocked because of a combination of people ignoring the double yellow lines there, and a badly situated pedestrian crossing. the traffic wardens won't do anything about it even before 5pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
...if a cars obstructing...
Just a slight tangent: What exactly is an obstuction? I only ask because it took me 20min yesterday to drive a mile between Portfield Bar and Simonstone. Turns out the delay was due to a three "vehicle" gypsy caravan. So does something still moving, albeit at less than walking pace, constitute an obstruction if it's causing a tailback?

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:19   #11
Resting in Peace

Well its 13 years since I drove car, but if I remember rightly its an offence to park within 15 years of a road junction, the reason I know was that I got my one and only parking ticket for parking overnight within 15 yards of a road junction, that was in Carlisle back in 1975 the parking fine was a massive £2 in those days
Old 12-06-2009, 10:28   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
within 15 years of a road junction,
I suppose your going to blame your keyboard for this one Jaysay?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:46   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm lost then.

It's actually a white line on the corner Garinda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I know what you are trying to say Kate and think it is a problem that is common throughout the borough. Is there not a rule in the Highway Code about parking to close to a junction? If there is a lot of people seem to be ignoring it.
They are not commiting any offence Bernie ... the cars are usually parked after the white line .... just think it could be extended to allow more cars to fit on to Rhyddings Street whilst waiting to get through due to oncoming traffic.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:53   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
It seems the laws we already have only appear to be enforced in the town centre.
never seems to be a traffic warden around when people park on teh roundabout next to teh yorkshire bank

i was down tehre the other day and some moron was parked up on teh roundabout making it very difficult for cars to get around teh roundabout

one good blast on teh horn and a few choice words which would get starred out here seemed to budge his lazy fat arse along

shoudl start prosecuting from video evience as well and make use of the cameras that are watching us so closely in town center

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:38   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
.. just think it could be extended to allow more cars to fit on to Rhyddings Street whilst waiting to get through due to oncoming traffic.
Parking is a problem around here. You were lucky, there is usually an idiot or 2 parked on the lines at the bottom as well.

If the did line one side of the road where would the cars park? It is a problem all around here.

If those driving are sensible and considerate ( and stay out of my way ) then there is usually not a problem.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..