Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Hall Of Fame (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/)
-   -   Rules??? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/rules-4477.html)

savo is back. 09-06-2004 08:02

Rules???

Due to some people's opinions of other peoples ideas, would Atarah like to lay down rules as to who or what can be put into the hall of fame, then we don't have to have derogatory comments made about other peoples entries, when nobody has made them about theirs??!!! :mad:

Tealeaf 09-06-2004 08:43

Re: Rules???

You certainly could'nt accuse me of making derogatory comments, Savo, but I must admit I'm rather baffled why anyone who's been seen on t'telly kicking a ball around a grass pitch should be inaugriated into the local "Hall of Fame".

Roy 09-06-2004 10:03

Atarah, many apoligies if this is out of turn. But - read the front page - these are your own words.

Quote:

This section is for details of Accrington's famous folk, both past and present. If you know anything, please share with us.
Brett Ormerod is famous.

Atarah 09-06-2004 10:10

I know, I know, but .. I wasn't planning on all this info. re Accy Stanley

Mick 09-06-2004 10:14

But Atarah there are a lot of famous players and ex players at Accy stanley

Roy 09-06-2004 10:15

So delete the accrington stanley thread and make a post with the rules and what you would like included in this section. People are clearly not fully aware of what you would like in this section. Make it clear and then lay down the law :)

JohnW 09-06-2004 14:33

In fairness to Atarah, there is a whole forum devoted to Accrington Stanley further down the list and I think she could be forgiven for considering that it would not stray over here. Incidentally Tealeaf, when did you last see Accrington Stanley on t'telly? Also, I'm not knocking Stanley, or the sport (which I happen to like), but how many 'famous' current players are known outside of the Stanley fanbase? I think to be considered 'famous' one should be known to people outside of the Hyndburn boundary.

Tealeaf 09-06-2004 15:16

Hi John...well, to be fair, Stanley were on telly at least 4 times this last season, including being on BBC1 live at one O'Clock on Sunday afternoon when they beat Huddersfield in the FA cup. (on telly, in fact, more than some of the 2nd & 3rd division clubs) However, I agree with your point that we should keep the Stanley stuff in the Stanley section...maybe they could have a "Stanley Hall of Fame"..

AccyStanFan 09-06-2004 15:24

wouldnt that be a bit useless thouhg, this forum is hardley striving with threads, and isnt accrington stanley in accrington?

JohnW 09-06-2004 15:46

Hi Tealeaf,

I had no idea that non-league clubs were shown on t'telly. We learn a little every day.

Hi ASF,

No-one is trying to dispute the importance of Accrington Stanley either to their fans or to the town. But there is a full forum devoted just to them so, in my opinion, I don't see the need to have another thread going which is in a less specific forum. I don't really know what you mean about "striving with threads" nor do I understand your point about Accrington Stanley being in Accrington. Perhaps you could elucidate.

AccyStanFan 09-06-2004 15:57

well it isnt the busiest of forums and to be honest accringto is only famous for 3 things.

Accrington Stanley

Nori

well maybe 2.

so it seems logical that some of the things are going to be about accrington stanley, i dont really see any point in this forum but seens its here ill post my point of view in it.

in the section devoted to accrington stanley you couldnt just make a random post saying "accrington stanley are brilliant" cause thatd probley be classed as spamming, but in this forum its what your meant to do as i understand. (not spam, point out whats good bout accrington)

JohnW 09-06-2004 16:18

I think you do the town a great disservice saying they are only famous for two things. For a start, Terylene was first produced at Broad Oak Printworks in the 1940's and a certain Mr. Hargreaves invented the "Spinning Jenny" about 170 years prior to that. Friends of the Accrington Pals may also take exception to your statement.
However, you are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I would also venture to say that anything which is classed as 'spam' in one forum would be classed exactly the same in another.

Tealeaf 09-06-2004 16:28

Hi John,

Non league games normally ain't shown on telly....but since Sky have outbid terrestrial for the Premiership, BBC & ITV have more or less had to make do with highlights, or the lower divisions for live games. The Stanley v Huddersfield game was chosen because someone at the BBC smelt an upset...anyway, Stanley got 50 thou out of it....

Right, Accy Stan.....you say Accy is famous for Stanley & for Nori bricks and nowt else. Well, I've lived away for 30 years and you're quite right - when you say you're from Accy, the reply is Stanley! - but it is a reply accompanied by a big grin, because like it or not, it's regarded as a joke. I always attempt to point out the error of this sentiment, sometimes successfully, sometimes not (some people I've met actually think the name is a fiction, made up for the milk advert)....but that's just in the UK.

Outside of the UK, of all the people I've met (non-British) who've heard of Accy, then these appear to be the main reasons:

Howard & Bulloughs (Asia)

Tiffany Glass (USA)

Pals (Australia)

So please don't delude yourself about the fame of Accy Stanley - in the UK, yes - but only then because of glorious failure.

savo is back. 09-06-2004 16:40

Nice to see that it's started off a debate about what accy's famous for. That's more like it!!! :D

P.S. Don't forget Hollands Pies ;)

AccyStanFan 09-06-2004 18:32

sorry if ive missed any biggies off such as the accrington pals (and if theyre not they should be in here) but all i was trying to point out is that Stanley is a big part of how famous accrington is.

Tealeaf, i know what ya mean about the grin and remembering the advert and all that but a lot of people i talk to about stanley are usually older people who always say "i remember when they went bust" which was before my time but it was obviously big news at the time.