Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Hall Of Fame (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/)
-   -   Blockade (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/blockade-63691.html)

Tesco Rambler 28-02-2013 21:11

Blockade

I don't know if it still exists. Certainly it was the only pub in Britain with that name. Does anybody know the origin of that name?

maxthecollie 01-03-2013 15:52

Re: Blockade

It's now offices

Bob Dobson 01-03-2013 16:05

I think it was so called because it was frequented by East Lancashire Railway workers building the nearby viaduct, which opened in 1848 ( date on a keystone viewed from the other side of the viaduct) and that company had been involved in a famous blockade of the railway line near Middleton. It has been suggested that it relates to the blockade of the ports in the Southern states during the American Civil War, but the pub had been opened for some years before the 1860s.

DtheP47 01-03-2013 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tesco Rambler (Post 1044428)
I don't know if it still exists. Certainly it was the only pub in Britain with that name. Does anybody know the origin of that name?

There's a shedload of stuff on here if you google Blockade Accrington Mr T...A cornucopia of info on the pub and the err? colourful characters that patronised it.

Landlord sad as Blockade comes to an end (From Lancashire Telegraph)

wadey 03-03-2013 11:03

Was this the pub ? Sorry if I've asked this before

Hyndburn Crossroads Ltd Link House, 23 Kings Street, Accrington, Lancs, BB5 1PR | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

susie123 03-03-2013 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 1044800)

Yep that's it, spent many a happy hour of my mis spent youth in there.

wadey 03-03-2013 13:37

Thanks

Tesco Rambler 07-03-2013 23:28

Thanks Bob, I seem to remember the pub sign had a railway worker in front of a steam train.

Bob Dobson 08-03-2013 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tesco Rambler (Post 1045506)
Thanks Bob, I seem to remember the pub sign had a railway worker in front of a steam train.

I diodn't know that. I dfon't think it did was I was a regular, drinking bitter and 'nips' in the late 50s/earl;y 60s. The pub was one of the Bentley's Milnshaw Brewery chain before Bentley sold it to John Smith's in 1924, along with: The New Brewery,The raailway (Huncoat).the Junction (that' probably a reference to the same blockade)The Cattle Market, The Abbey and the Borough Arms in Oak St , some off-licences, some house proeprties and a few pubs out of Accrington.

See page 6 of my book 'An Accrington Mixture'

stetrovers 07-03-2014 20:41

Just to let you all know, Joyce who was landlady for many years at the Blackade has died. She was a great character. Rest in peace

maxthecollie 07-03-2014 21:02

R.I.P. Joyce . We used to meet in the upstairs room there.Do you know if Eddie is still around?

DtheP47 08-03-2014 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1096963)
R.I.P. Joyce . We used to meet in the upstairs room there.Do you know if Eddie is still around?

Think Eddie passed a couple of years ago Frank. Shame about Joyce she was a "no nonsense" landlady and needed to be with the denizens of the back room.

A 3 degrees of separation thread wander, I will be in Hasting this Friday for the funeral of Pete Bull who died last week after a struggle with throat cancer and be raising a glass to him with a few Ossy/Accy ex-pats who moved down there in the seventies for the more err liberal lifestyle. John Cowell (Kiff) and Dave Jearam (Dobbin) to name but two. (Jaysay you will remember em' from the Bay)
They all have fond memories of the Bay Horse, Block' and New Brewery I'll make sure themselves, Mick (Bull) and family and me both raise a scoop in the Dolphin to Joyce too.

cashman 09-03-2014 07:23

Joyce @ Eddie, accy legends R.I.P. lass.

Wynonie Harris 09-03-2014 20:07

RIP Joyce, a very nice lady who could display a very impressive array of landlady characteristics when the need arose - a vital asset with a pub like the Block! The...er..."atmosphere" in that back room was something else! ��

Morecambe Ex Pat 16-03-2014 21:07

Ah the back room, you could cut the atmosphere with ......... just about any household cleaning product. Best juke box in Accy though and some great characters.