Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2010, 13:56   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington born artists.

Pauline Atkin - Sculptress - born 30th June 1893 in Accrington, but seems to have lived in London from 1918 onwards. Studied Chelsea Poly as well as Manchester School of Art and at the Royal Academy Schools. Some of her works are: "The Frog Prince" 1919 in Bronze,"Dance Fantastique" 1926, "On the Fairway".
Her dad was Mr A H Aitken, 40 years a Town Clerk of Accrington. Pauline did a bronze bust of her father, which was presented to Accrington Corporation.

Aitken Street named after him.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2010, 17:37   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Pauline Atkin - Sculptress - born 30th June 1893 in Accrington, but seems to have lived in London from 1918 onwards. Studied Chelsea Poly as well as Manchester School of Art and at the Royal Academy Schools. Some of her works are: "The Frog Prince" 1919 in Bronze,"Dance Fantastique" 1926, "On the Fairway".
Her dad was Mr A H Aitken, 40 years a Town Clerk of Accrington. Pauline did a bronze bust of her father, which was presented to Accrington Corporation.

Aitken Street named after him.
Sadly there doesn't seem to be a great deal of further information about this artist, though I have found out she died in 1958, and I have discovered a photograph of a very beautiful bust, that passed through an auction house.

Eastham families in Mitton, Yorkshire and Ribchester, Lancashire, England, UK

Pauline Aitken - Artist, Art - Pauline Aitken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aitken.jpg (15.9 KB, 6 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 18:07   #33
Resting in Peace

Susan(n) Ironfield.
Art@Unity

Thanks Garinda ... remember Susan from the times her Mum and Dad and my Mum and Dad went bowling up Milnshaw Park.

She was a lovely, unassuming, sweet, studious girl .. knew she would do well ... just surprised that she did art too. Lovely stuff.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 18:34   #34
Senior Member+

Susan Ironfield comes from Accrington. She studied languages at Liverpool University and worked for many years in Germany as a painter, on the theme of musical intervals. She now lives again in Liverpool with husband Reinhard. Her book Full Circle—Astrological Archetypes, is forthcoming from Janus in spring 2010. The poems are based on several textbooks in English and German, and will appeal to those who care about human nature and culture in the subject of astrology, its unique wisdom, experience, and imaginative scope, and amazing psychological accuracy. The poems contain many references to writers, artists and composers.
Old 24-01-2010, 03:36   #35
Give, give, give member

A medal awarded as a prize, when he was studying in London, 1878.

NZ Collectors : Antiques, Collectables, Coins, Notes, Medals Online

Born Accrington 1860, died Pitcairn Island on board the Rotorua on 29 August 1929, returning from a trip to England.

Old 24-01-2010, 10:36   #36
Give, give, give member

Scott Baron.

Memberintro

Old 25-01-2010, 02:03   #37
Give, give, give member

Sutcliffe Maudsley, Pioneer artist 1809-1881.

Sutcliffe Maudsley was born near Accrington, Lancashire, England. Like his father, grandfather, and other members of the family before him, Sutcliffe worked in the textile mills where he was a trained pattern maker and designer. At an early age, he was "bound out" to learn art, having demonstrated some talent as a young boy. Although the extent of his artistic training is not known, Maudsley's paintings show that he was a relatively accomplished amateur artist. This updated drawing may have been completed in England or Nauvoo.
Online Gallery - The Works of Sutcliffe Maudsley

Maudsley

Lucy Mack Smith

Maudsley's portrait of Joseph Smith, founder of the Latter Day Saints.
File:Joseph Smith Maudsley Portrait 1842-06-25.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Buried in Iowa.
http://iowagravestones.org/gs_view.php?id=9015

Last edited by garinda; 25-01-2010 at 02:07.
Old 25-01-2010, 02:32   #38
Give, give, give member

Stephen Warnes, born 1951.

Welcome to Still Waters Art Gallery

Still Waters Art Gallery - The Artworks of Stephen Warnes

Departure from Accrington Station, Lancashire. Painting by Stephen Warnes

Espirito Art buy canvas art prints and personalised artwork

Stephen Warnes - Fine Art - Fine Art America - FineArtAmerica

Old 25-01-2010, 02:35   #39
Give, give, give member

Sorry Atarah, first one I didn't search on here for first, to make sure they hadn't already been mentioned...whoops.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...etc-47391.html

Old 26-01-2010, 10:43   #40
Senior Member+

Accrington born artists.

I believe that the bronze bust of former Town Clerk Mr Atkins, done by his daughter, PAULINE ATKINS, is on view in Haworth Art Gallery.
Old 26-01-2010, 19:40   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

She used to do a lot of work for Thwaites and Whitbread - The Stop and Rest, The Plough, The Wheatsheaf and The Heys were all hers for a long time. I think the one outside the Golden Cross still bears her name, plus the Black Dog.
Gosh Gayle, didn't know your mum did that ... will take a look at the ones still remaining.

Of course I know that she is a very clever lady with her designs .. as proof of our posters and programmes she does for Ossyplayers (and wins prizes for them).

Was telling a friend about this and she commented that she thought The Heys sign had used a local character named Ben (....?) as a model. We knew whose father he was, but didn't know the daughter's maiden name. Is this correct ?
Old 26-01-2010, 19:51   #42
God Member

Yes, the Heys sign was two of the regulars.

Actually, just realised, she shouldn't be on this thread as she wasn't born in Hyndburn, just moved here.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 20:01   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Yes, the Heys sign was two of the regulars.

Actually, just realised, she shouldn't be on this thread as she wasn't born in Hyndburn, just moved here.
Long enough to qualify though I guess ....
Old 28-01-2010, 01:59   #44
Give, give, give member

Edward Foster, born 1971.

Edward Foster @ Contemporary Art Gallery, Art Supplies, Studios & Design in Preston, Lancashire