Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2010, 13:15   #61
Give, give, give member

Re: Accrington born artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Sorry Mr Lingard, I've seen better 'art' on a table mat.
I think the one of the Market, as it used to be, is a great painting.

Go on, let's see your table mats.

What are they of?

Dogs and cats playing snooker?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accrington Market.jpg (29.3 KB, 22 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2010, 13:36   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think the one of the Market, as it used to be, is a great painting.

Go on, let's see your table mats.

What are they of?

Dogs and cats playing snooker?

This artist was born in 1952, ; the market has not looked like that since 1962, when the artist would have been 10 years old. Are you saying that he painted this from memory? There are loads of old photographs knocking around on the net showing more or less the same scene. All this guy has done is copy from a photograph. That does not make a good artist.

My table mats are plain white, to compliment everything else on the dinner table. You, no doubt, use the previous day's 'Sun' newspaper or, maybe if it's a Sunday, the last issue of 'Hello' magazine.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 19-08-2010 at 13:44.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 14:29   #63
Give, give, give member

Quote:
This artist was born in 1952, ; the market has not looked like that since 1962, when the artist would have been 10 years old. Are you saying that he painted this from memory? There are loads of old photographs knocking around on the net showing more or less the same scene. All this guy has done is copy from a photograph. That does not make a good artist.

My table mats are plain white, to compliment everything else on the dinner table. You, no doubt, use the previous day's 'Sun' newspaper or, maybe if it's a Sunday, the last issue of 'Hello' magazine.
I rate my aesthetic taste more highly than your's.

It's a good painting.

The proportions of the Market Hall are correct, and the use of watercolour captures our wet, heavy, Lancashire skies very well.

I've worked on paintings, based on sketches done years earlier. Some right back into childhood.

Though sadly I haven't got any going far enough in time, in which you had hair.

I presume the plain white table mats were a present from the asylum?

Old 19-08-2010, 14:47   #64
God Member

Quote:
I rate my aesthetic taste more highly than your's.

It's a good painting.

The proportions of the Market Hall are correct, and the use of watercolour captures our wet, heavy, Lancashire skies very well.

I've worked on paintings, based on sketches done years earlier. Some right back into childhood.

Though sadly I haven't got any going far enough in time, in which you had hair.

I presume the plain white table mats were a present from the asylum?

Well, thank you for proving my point - of course the proportions are correct - thats what happens when you copy from a photograph. You can get machines to do it for you now, or if you don't want to invest in one o'them, you can always send the piccy off to China with a few specs; within 28 days you'll get a nice oil or watercolour back at a total cost of about thirty quid (inc p & p). No doubt it would look good over your mantlepiece alongside the ducks.

My table mats, by the way, are Linum (thats a brand)...fourteen quid each from Selfridges a few years ago. As for the Asylum, I do believe that one of the standard treatments for the demented is to use childhood regression by getting the patients do sketches, followed by paintings, just as in the manner you describe. So where were you? Broadmoor..Rampton....? Pray tell.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 19-08-2010 at 14:54.
Old 19-08-2010, 15:03   #65
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well, thank you for proving my point - of course the proportions are correct - thats what happens when you copy from a photograph. You can get machines to do it for you now, or if you don't want to invest in one o'them, you can always send the piccy off to China with a few specs; within 28 days you'll get a nice oil or watercolour back at a total cost of about thirty quid (inc p & p). No doubt it would look good over your mantlepiece alongside the ducks.

My table mats, by the way, are Linum (thats a brand)...fourteen quid each from Selfridges a few years ago. As for the Asylum, I do believe that one of the standard treatments for the demented is to get the inmates to do sketches, followed by paintings, just as in the manner you describe. So where were you? Broadmoor..Rampton....? Pray tell.
Not that I think art appreciation can be taught, but after leaving QEGS, I spent five years exclusively studying art. First at Blackburn, then in Liverpool, where I got an honours degree.

Although my exquisite taste was already well formed before entering primary school.

Selfridges?

Isn't that the American department store, where the aspiring middle classes go to, to purchase (naff) fish knives, to match their plain white place mats?

All a bit too suburban for my tastes.

I hear there's still places left on the empty plinth in Trafalgar Square.

We should put your name forward.

The Freaky Philistine Juggler and his Linum mats.

Old 19-08-2010, 17:06   #66
God Member

So having spent five years - at the taxpayers expense - studying art, what a shame it is that you now appear completely ignorant of the art world. The fourth plinth on Trafalgar Square is currently occupied by Yinka Shonibare's "Nelson's Ship in a Bottle". That is not due to be taken down until the end of next year, at which point it will be replaced by one of six shortlisted exhibits, amongst which are works entitled 'Battenburg' and 'Cock'. I suggest you use what little appears left of your artist's imagination to dwell on the latter. Irrespective of any suggestion, this has nothing to do with me.

But yes - mea culpa - I do occaisionally shop at Selfridges. The Manchester branch, that is. However, there did not appear to be many examples of the North-West's finest suburban classes there when I purchased the said mats a few years ago...accents were mainly Mancunian with a splattering of North-East Lancs....in fact, I'm pretty sure I met someone from Ossy while I was in there. Still, if that's how you wish to describe your fellow townspeople, that's your business.
Old 19-08-2010, 17:13   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So having spent five years - at the taxpayers expense - studying art, what a shame it is that you now appear completely ignorant of the art world. The fourth plinth on Trafalgar Square is currently occupied by Yinka Shonibare's "Nelson's Ship in a Bottle". That is not due to be taken down until the end of next year, at which point it will be replaced by one of six shortlisted exhibits, amongst which are works entitled 'Battenburg' and 'Cock'. I suggest you use what little appears left of your artist's imagination to dwell on the latter. Irrespective of any suggestion, this has nothing to do with me.

But yes - mea culpa - I do occaisionally shop at Selfridges. The Manchester branch, that is. However, there did not appear to be many examples of the North-West's finest suburban classes there when I purchased the said mats a few years ago...accents were mainly Mancunian with a splattering of North-East Lancs....in fact, I'm pretty sure I met someone from Ossy while I was in there. Still, if that's how you wish to describe your fellow townspeople, that's your business.
I believe originally, in 1841, the plinth was intended to display an equestrian statue.

I still think we should put your name forward.

A horse's arse, will somehow be fitting, in a historical context.

Old 19-08-2010, 17:17   #68
God Member

Put my name forward, by all means...

"The Church Stallion".
Old 19-08-2010, 17:35   #69
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Put my name forward, by all means...

"The Church Stallion".

Eat your sugar lump, and either add something constructive to this thread, or go and have a nap in Your Little Stable.

This thread was created to record artists with a local connection.

If you'd like to start an art appreciation thread, and discuss the subjectiveness of what's seen as good art, I'll happily join you, and run circles around you there too.

Giddy up Dobbin.

Old 19-08-2010, 17:45   #70
God Member

G - That is too kind - perhaps this is more apt
Attached Images
File Type: gif 11178donkey__cartoon_2.gif (20.9 KB, 0 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 17:51   #71
God Member

Quote:

This thread was created to record artists with a local connection.
Oh dear me.. so are you now saying that we are not allowed to comment on the respective merits of each artist? That's all that I did with this particular character - I said his work was crap, or words to that effect.

I really don't know where you're coming from on this. I always thought that any artistic work was the end product of a creative process and as such is open to interpretation and debate. It would appear from your response that it serves no more purpose than to be bunged in some localised database of your making.

Go on...on yer bike.
Old 18-09-2010, 21:15   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
There is a chap called Brian Ormerod who deserves to be in the front row. He paints and does fantastic sculpture. He was employed as an artist at Joseph Arnold's and then was taken out to America. He returned home to care for his mother and worked as a chef. Now fully retired I think. Lived in India Street most of his life, now up Spring Hill way.A very modest man but fantastically talented.
Hello Bob. Fully agree about Brian Ormerod. How can I contact him? Anyone know? Frank Sanderson 015395 66967.
Frank Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 23:25   #73

You are the curator of “Ships of Destiny” exhibition so is Brian a maritime artist?
Old 19-09-2010, 14:44   #74

Quote:
Recently I've come across quite a few people who were born in the area, and who are/were working professionally as artists.

Rather than give them individual threads, I thought they could be listed here.

Please add anymore that you come across.

James Ingham Riley.
Lake Artists Society - James Ingham Riley

Stephen Warnes.
New Fine Art Canvas Prints from Stephen Warnes Espirito Art News

Jeremy Paul.
Jeremy Paul - Artist - Wildlife Artists - Turbary Woods

Susan(n) Ironfield.
Art@Unity

Mike Haworth.
Back Catalogue, | John Noott Galleries
Frank Sanderson. Marine and landscape painter. Curator 'Ships of Destiny' Old School Gallery, Crooklands, Near Milnthorpe, Cumbria LA7 7NR.
Old 19-09-2010, 14:52   #75

Brian can paint anything with a great deal of skill. Not sure about his maritime work as this needs a good deal of research. ( I was assistant to Donald Swan FRSA, and did most of his research work.) However, I have several sculptures by Brian Ormerod and notably a Vikings Head which is part of 'Ships of Destiny' You are more than welcome to call and see anytime, We are just off Junction 36 of the M6. Frank Sanderson

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..