Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2013, 15:34   #16

Re: Accrington Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Darwen Tower has a great view on clear days. Can see Yorkshire from up there.
What for?
cashman likes this.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-07-2013, 09:28   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
What for?
because of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesco Rambler View Post
I doubt there is such a view anywhere else in the UK as you will see there in Accrinton.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 11:20   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I think gdm27 was referring to the fact, Why would anyone want to see Yorkshire.
Restless likes this.
Old 20-07-2013, 12:30   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Accrington Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I think gdm27 was referring to the fact, Why would anyone want to see Yorkshire.
To remind us how grateful we should be because we don't live there.
cashman likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 08:40   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
To remind us how grateful we should be because we don't live there.
The only good thing out of Yorkshire is the road to Lances or if your a cricket lover Joe Root too
DtheP47 likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 07:41   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The only good thing out of Yorkshire is the road to Lances or if your a cricket lover Joe Root too
Don't know where Lance lives Jaysay but anything out of Kelham Island is spot on too.

Kelham Brewery | our beers
Restless likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 14:25   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Don't know where Lance lives Jaysay but anything out of Kelham Island is spot on too.

Kelham Brewery | our beers
Ya Mr. D. looks like a special dispensation in this case
Old 23-07-2013, 18:08   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Ya Mr. D. looks like a special dispensation in this case
What you want a case ????? I'll get you a couple of bottles of Pale Rider cos' you mayn't like it.
Old 24-07-2013, 14:16   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
What you want a case ????? I'll get you a couple of bottles of Pale Rider cos' you mayn't like it.
I would imagine that won't be true its beer isn't it there are no bad beers some are better than others but they're all okay and palatable
Old 24-07-2013, 14:45   #25

Accrington Itself

Quote:
I would imagine that won't be true its beer isn't it there are no bad beers some are better than others but they're all okay and palatable
Not true, when I was a student the landlord of our digs decided to do some home brew, announcing to us that there would be a party when it was ready.
For some reason the date he had thought it would be ready passed without comment, we asked what was happening?
He told us the stuff was still fermenting for some reason.
A week later, he put his concoction into a barrel saying it will be ready within 48 hours.
We went into his living room with freshly stolen pint glasses at the appointed time, (I did mention we were students, never gave a thought to buying a glass).

He didn't exactly pour the beer as much as it exploded from the cask, lively wasn't the word for it!
We tasted one of the most sweet brews known to man, the amount of Unbrewed sugar stuck our lips together, we did risk skin and forced our mouths apart downing a substance almost the thickness of gravy.
3 pints and an hour later everyone was rolling on the floor, God it was strong!
On the 4th pint some of us noticed that as well as the room spinning those that had claimed a need for relieving themselves hadn't returned, there was definitely a thinning of the crowd.
By the 5th pint, those of us that had managed to find our way back from our ablutions were finding the barrel to be slowing down, we tilted it at the suggestion of our hero that had provided this magnificent brew and filled our glasses with the remaining sludge after all he said, it's healthy and provides roughage.
I don't remember much after that how I got to bed I have no recollection, but there I remained for three days as did everyone else.
On recovering enough to get up we asked what our generous host had made.
He informed us that, rather than make a weak brew...

He had halved the amount of water and doubled the amount of sugar and other ingredients.
So my dear Jaysay I can honestly tell you there are bad brews, even if they are drinkable!
Old 24-07-2013, 14:54   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not true, when I was a student the landlord of our digs decided to do some home brew, announcing to us that there would be a party when it was ready.
For some reason the date he had thought it would be ready passed without comment, we asked what was happening?
He told us the stuff was still fermenting for some reason.
A week later, he put his concoction into a barrel saying it will be ready within 48 hours.
We went into his living room with freshly stolen pint glasses at the appointed time, (I did mention we were students, never gave a thought to buying a glass).

He didn't exactly pour the beer as much as it exploded from the cask, lively wasn't the word for it!
We tasted one of the most sweet brews known to man, the amount of Unbrewed sugar stuck our lips together, we did risk skin and forced our mouths apart downing a substance almost the thickness of gravy.
3 pints and an hour later everyone was rolling on the floor, God it was strong!
On the 4th pint some of us noticed that as well as the room spinning those that had claimed a need for relieving themselves hadn't returned, there was definitely a thinning of the crowd.
By the 5th pint, those of us that had managed to find our way back from our ablutions were finding the barrel to be slowing down, we tilted it at the suggestion of our hero that had provided this magnificent brew and filled our glasses with the remaining sludge after all he said, it's healthy and provides roughage.
I don't remember much after that how I got to bed I have no recollection, but there I remained for three days as did everyone else.
On recovering enough to get up we asked what our generous host had made.
He informed us that, rather than make a weak brew...

He had halved the amount of water and doubled the amount of sugar and other ingredients.
So my dear Jaysay I can honestly tell you there are bad brews, even if they are drinkable!
As I said Less its drinkable
Old 24-07-2013, 15:03   #27

Accrington Itself

Quote:
As I said Less its drinkable
Drinkable isn't the same as good.
The definition of a coarse drinker is:-
When visiting a friend that only has cooking sherry on offer, after emptying the glass, the guest exclaims, "God, that was awful!", as he holds the glass out for a refill.
I'm proud to say, I'M A COARSE DRINKER.

Last edited by Less; 24-07-2013 at 15:05.
Old 24-07-2013, 15:15   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Drinkable isn't the same as good.
The definition of a coarse drinker is:-
When visiting a friend that only has cooking sherry on offer, after emptying the glass, the guest exclaims, "God, that was awful!", as he holds the glass out for a refill.
I'm proud to say, I'M A COARSE DRINKER.

Why taste different beers?To find out which beers taste good and which you would drink again, and maybe to learn about beer and foods that taste good together.To learn about styles and diversity of beer and even variances within a particular style.
It's the drinking again bit I like
Old 24-07-2013, 15:23   #29

Accrington Itself

Quote:
Why taste different beers?To find out which beers taste good and which you would drink again, and maybe to learn about beer and foods that taste good together.To learn about styles and diversity of beer and even variances within a particular style.
It's the drinking again bit I like
Can't disagree, just a shame that a really good beer although its aftertaste is still on the tip of your tongue the following day, the name escapes you.

Old 24-07-2013, 15:30   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Can't disagree, just a shame that a really good beer although its aftertaste is still on the tip of your tongue the following day, the name escapes you.

yup Less amnesia is linked exponentionally to volume with most decent ales.

Tags
no tags do me justice

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..