Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013, 00:18   #1
I am Banned

Accrington Itself

Yes, its a little bit funny but when you are young you might look at Accrington from the perspective of a music-hall joke. But once you are a little bit grown and probably away from home you just might be able to see Accrington more clearly.
I tell you it quite a unique place. Take a little walk up the Coppice and tell me what you see. You will see a marvelous vista which is I think unparalled: from the distant and misty Baxenden, right across the hills to Darwen Tower, beyond to Blackburn, the valley where Whalley resides, Pendle Hill in all its sombre glory to way over the heights beyond Burnley and closer to home Hamledon Hill. And guess what? Accrington is such a green and pleasant place: from your vantage point on the the little monument on the Coppice you will see all around you the greenery of thousands and thousands of trees. I doubt there is such a view anywhere else in the UK as you will see there in Accrinton. And I say that as someone who has traveled widely. Accrington, easy to mock, hard to get out of your blood.
Judith Addison likes this.
Tesco Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2013, 09:07   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesco Rambler View Post
Yes, its a little bit funny but when you are young you might look at Accrington from the perspective of a music-hall joke. But once you are a little bit grown and probably away from home you just might be able to see Accrington more clearly.
I tell you it quite a unique place. Take a little walk up the Coppice and tell me what you see. You will see a marvelous vista which is I think unparalleled: from the distant and misty Baxenden, right across the hills to Darwen Tower, beyond to Blackburn, the valley where Whalley resides, Pendle Hill in all its sombre glory to way over the heights beyond Burnley and closer to home Hambledon Hill. And guess what? Accrington is such a green and pleasant place: from your vantage point on the the little monument on the Coppice you will see all around you the greenery of thousands and thousands of trees. I doubt there is such a view anywhere else in the UK as you will see there in Accrington. And I say that as someone who has traveled widely. Accrington, easy to mock, hard to get out of your blood.
Think Accy must be unique in many ways not to mention Stanley, which is renown world wide. Just a slight wander, years ago I was working in the Pall Mall club in Coventry and a chap came up to me and said think you lot must come from Lancashire with your accents, I just said ya Accrington, he just said I was born in Ossy on Busk Meadow Street, it turned out he sat next to my mother at school.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 19:28   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think Accy must be unique in many ways not to mention Stanley, which is renown world wide. Just a slight wander, years ago I was working in the Pall Mall club in Coventry and a chap came up to me and said think you lot must come from Lancashire with your accents, I just said ya Accrington, he just said I was born in Ossy on Busk Meadow Street, it turned out he sat next to my mother at school.
Years ago, sometime in the '70 I think, I was wandering around London taking in the sights and lo and behold out of the millions and millions that reside there up pops a lad I used to know at Accrington and Rossendale College. To name drop, he was a successful actor having got a plum role in Brookside.
And then more recently, I was wandering near the Houses of Parliament looking for a suitable cellar (only joking Guy) when up pops a Russian woman who happened to be on holiday and she was my ex-wife's best friend. What a small world it really is.
Old 13-07-2013, 08:01   #4
Senior Member+

Darwen Tower has a great view on clear days. Can see Yorkshire from up there.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 09:07   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Can see Yorkshire from up there.
And that's a recommendation is it?
Eric likes this.
Old 13-07-2013, 09:19   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Now here is a story for you.
Sometime in the '70s when the powers that be didin't quite know what to do with all these things which cost money to upkeep, it was mooted that Darwen Tower might be demolished or possibly sold (remember London Bridge had already been sold to the Yanks). Now in the time-honored tradition of the mischief of Grammar School boys me and B.A. (unfair to name him, let's protect the guilty, but I bet he knows who he is) came up with a plan. Why not offer to buy Darwen Tower in the name of a Yank: Hiram B. Lanski to be precise - a fictitious Texan oil magnate I believe. How to do it and make it seem genuine? My devious mind hatched a plan: write the letter to Lanski giving a return address of the Lancashire Evening Telegraph (after all it had regularly reported the problems the council had in the upkeep of the tower) put the sealed envelope in another envelope addressed to the postmaster of a Texan town with a covering letter buttering him up with our love of American stamps and requesting him to post it back to us. Worked like a charm and the next thing we knew we had a front page (I think) article about this fictitious oil millionaire wishing to save Darwen Tower. Of course nothin was ever herd of it again and somehow me and BA kept schtum. This is the first time I have ever revealed this scam. Doubters can check this in the Telegraph archives. I left school in 72 or 73 and we hatched the plot in Geography lessons so I guess the possible time span covers about 1971 to 1972.
You see, papers, especially local papers are not filled with the brainiest reporters and in fact what they tend to do is follow the nationals: if there is a big riot in London, they look for a small riot in Abbey street: if a helecopter crashes south of the Thames they look for a balsa wood kid's plane that smashed a window on Blackburn Road - you get the picture. Darwen Tower, Texas, oil and a millionaire was too much for them.
Old 13-07-2013, 09:24   #7
I am Banned

'write the letter to Lanski' should be
write the letter FROM Lanski (purporting to be from Lanski)
Old 13-07-2013, 09:31   #8
God Member

Quote:

Only 2 things wrong with that statement... Darwen and Yorkshire
Restless and maxthecollie like this.
Old 13-07-2013, 10:00   #9

Quote:
And maybe the road to Lancashire
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 11:41   #10

Regarding post 6, you are good at hatching plans. So when did you dream up the plan for the Tesco "job"?
cashman likes this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 16:40   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Regarding post 6, you are good at hatching plans. So when did you dream up the plan for the Tesco "job"?
Not all plans which are hatched are good. In any clutch there tends to be at least one addled egg.
Old 13-07-2013, 16:52   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Not all plans which are hatched are good. In any clutch there tends to be at least one addled egg.
Hey don't put the egg down, you may be addled, it could still be fresh, P.M. me with your next master-plan, I could do with a few years of the luxury your enjoying.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 18:23   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Hey don't put the egg down, you may be addled, it could still be fresh, P.M. me with your next master-plan, I could do with a few years of the luxury your enjoying.
Now let me see: beans on toast on Monday; beans on toast on Tuesday; beans on toast on Wednesday...come to think of it, beans on toast on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and then a special treat on Sunday - toast dipped in baked bean juice. The veritable 'high life' indeed.
Best to keep away from me on the following Monday!
Stevie R likes this.
Old 13-07-2013, 18:39   #14
Senior Member+

Are they Heinz, or Tescos own brand.
Restless and Stevie R like this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 20:58   #15
God Member

Quote:
Now let me see: beans on toast on Monday; beans on toast on Tuesday; beans on toast on Wednesday...come to think of it, beans on toast on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and then a special treat on Sunday - toast dipped in baked bean juice. The veritable 'high life' indeed.
Best to keep away from me on the following Monday!

Kinda like this, eh.
DaveinGermany and Stevie R like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no tags do me justice

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..