Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2009, 18:00   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington Stanley Johnson

Some years ago there was a piece in the Observer about 'Accrington Stranley Johnson' He was an Accy chap, educated at the grammar school, who had come into a bob or two and now spent the year touring the world watching test cricket. Stan died in his sleep a week or so age in New Zealand aged 72yrs. . His father was a big Stanley fan and named his son in honour of the lads. Stan himself was a top footballer and cricketer at schoool, being in the first X1. He wasted no opportunity to tell the people he met all over the world about his home town.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-12-2009, 18:19   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington Stanley Johnson

Is this him Bob ?

Image12.jpg First row ... Left to right ... first in.

Image16.jpg

Image20.jpg

Ignore the thumbnail one .. was a mistake, and can't delete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image13.jpg (177.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by katex; 18-12-2009 at 18:23.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 20:01   #3
Senior Member+

Truth is, i don't know. I remember some of these lads from when I was a first former, but not Stan Johnson. Please will you email them to me direct and I will then get them put onto the new Accrington Grammar school Old Boys website ( Welcome from the Headmaster)
Old 19-12-2009, 12:45   #4

Bob
Right click on the photos and save to your PC.
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 15:19   #5
Senior Member+

Thank you Katex - they are a year or so ahead of me but I did play in the same teams as some of them - Thank you XX
Old 19-12-2009, 17:06   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Thank you Katex - they are a year or so ahead of me but I did play in the same teams as some of them - Thank you XX
Seems you were more of a Rugby man Barrie.

Image28.jpg

Ok .. what's it worth for me to not put the one of you up in 'Devil's Disciple' heeheehee.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 18:20   #7
Senior Member+

Katex - I hated rugby - but Boris thought I was one of the chosen! I playeds football into my mid-40s, played for the RAF Officers Icarus Team for over 8 years, even got on the fringe of the full RAF squad one season - they were desperate.
The Rugby photo was so embarrassing as my lads saw it - the way i had gone on about Rugby came back with a vemgeance as 2 of them were very good rugby players. Still love you though XXX
Old 20-12-2009, 11:07   #8
Senior Member+

I have learned that Stan has left some dosh in his will for some of his Barmy Army cricket friends to spend on visiting a number of overseas cricket grounds, there to scatter his ashes. If they have not visited all the grounds before there are no ashes left, then they are to buy certain local beers and spread those. I am unaware if the beers have to be drunk before this takes place. There is to be a funeral service of remembrance in Accrington in the near future.I am hooping to be there, along with the president of the Accrington Grammar School Old Boys who will be wearing his 'badge of office' - a 1950s school cap. I think Stan would have approved of this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..