Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2004, 15:51   #31
Resting in peace

Re: coronation street girls

I see Polly James sometimes, she is a friend of Julia Foster, who's now an antique dealer (she was in Half a Sixpence amongst other things, and she married Lionel from the Four Pennies, didn't last). I see Julia, usually at antique fairs, and we always have a chat about Blackburn and Accy (she had a shop in Blackburn for a while). Polly went to Paddock House (later than me), so we compare notes on the nuns.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2004, 13:29   #32
Senior Member+

Waszn't there a geezer from Accrington on "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" last year - he won something - his name was Sid!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 00:42   #33
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
What's eastenders and emmerdale? I wash with soap!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nah...I'm being unfair to you.....course I've heard of them, but never watch them.

If you think they are the right sort of characters for Accy Hall of Fame...you say so!

But are they world famous?
They have thousands of fans over here in Ontario Canada. Corrie is a "do not mess with soap that has been showinf here for about 30 years.

Does Church and Ossie really count as Accy born and bred though??
Old 23-02-2005, 01:49   #34
Give, give, give member

janice battersby [vicky entwistle,] used to chase me home from sunday school shouting she loved me! her mum maureen was my sunday school teacher. she was about 11 @ the time [vicky, not her mum!]
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 01:52   #35
Give, give, give member

also jeaneete winterton, sapphic pin-up writer, and newnight reviewer comes from a mad religous family- oranges are not tho only fruit, etc.
Old 23-02-2005, 02:12   #36
Give, give, give member

oops! sorry about spelling jeanette! re: polly james, last l heard her mum was still alive & buying custards from my family's bakery round the corner from trinity st. ps pendy reading another of your links about chippies l live next door to your cousin! also ossy clark the fashion designer was evacuated here in the war & took his name from ossy. he was massive in the early 70's but ended up drunk & drugged in notting hill, & was murdered by his lover in the 90's.
Old 23-02-2005, 04:57   #37
Junior Member+

Corrie is the piece of Lancashire that we really enjoy here in Canada. Many times we are really laughing hard at an expression we have not heard in many years. The things you forget when not using is mind boggling. There are times that I just can't hear the Lancs accent in my mind. Then I get with my sister and we are zapped right back into being Accy lass's again. I have been here 38 years this May and my sister has been here 30 years. Time flys by especially as you get older.
Old 23-02-2005, 13:15   #38
Give, give, give member

Corrie as a global link to the NW.

lts great Corrie, keeps you in touch with your roots, it did for me & l was only with cockneys & Glaswegians for twenty years! Where is the story up to in Canada? - has Ernie Bishop been shot yet? oooppps!! Don't worry Emily finds happiness with Arnold Swindley a very nice bigamist from Rossamund St..

Last edited by garinda; 23-02-2005 at 13:20.
Old 23-02-2005, 16:02   #39
Junior Member+

LOL oh thos enames zap me back a few years. I disliked Swindley, wanted to throttle him. I can still see prim and proper Emily with her hair up in a French roll. I gained new respect for her when she spent the night in a tree in protest.

We are behind you guys with the episodes , we are having our stomachs curdled with Todd and Carl right now. In fact last night Todd told Eileen. More fun tonight !!
Old 23-02-2005, 16:04   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlass
LOL oh thos enames zap me back a few years. I disliked Swindley, wanted to throttle him. I can still see prim and proper Emily with her hair up in a French roll. I gained new respect for her when she spent the night in a tree in protest.

We are behind you guys with the episodes , we are having our stomachs curdled with Todd and Carl right now. In fact last night Todd told Eileen. More fun tonight !!
oh believe me it gets BETTER !!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 16:24   #41
Give, give, give member

You're not that far behind,[about six months,] they leave all the gay politics & get a really funny gay character Sean who is more like the down to earth female characters of the past. Think a cross between Hilda & Raquel,[ voulez-vous couchez avec moi Ken?], with just a touch of the Minnie Caldwells!
Old 23-02-2005, 17:34   #42
Junior Member+

Oh those balck and white Minni, Ena and ???? I can see her but no name is coming. She loved Sonny Jim. The Rovers trio.

Elsie Tanner what a character, rolling sleeves up to go bash some one that said something she din't like. Gail living with Elsie or has my son used to call Gail, "big hair gal". Lovely walk down memory lane.
Old 23-02-2005, 17:36   #43
mez
God Member

martha longhurst, with the round national health glasses ha ha ha
Old 23-02-2005, 17:52   #44
Give, give, give member

Martha LONGHURST! Thank you. APPARENTLY ANNIE WALKER SAID SHE MARRIED BENEATH HER STATION,[JACK], & was really a BEAUMONT from Clitheroe! sorry about the caps.
Old 05-03-2005, 15:16   #45
Junior Member+

What about the Corrie men? The street has had it's heroe's and villans over the years. When did we have the first villan? Was it when Ernie Bishop was shot or before that.

It is amazing how much goes on in one street and has been going on for what45 years?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..