Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2012, 11:31   #1
Senior Member+

Derek Oldham, tenor

Derek Oldham (*1887-1968) was an Accrington ( Ossie?) lad who became an internationally-famous tenor on the London stage. I have 3 @78rpm records of his and want to give them to where they will be cherished. Any family still around? Any other ideas?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2012, 11:52   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Derek Oldham, tenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Derek Oldham (*1887-1968) was an Accrington ( Ossie?) lad who became an internationally-famous tenor on the London stage. I have 3 @78rpm records of his and want to give them to where they will be cherished. Any family still around? Any other ideas?
I see he was with D'Oyly Carte for many years. Are they G&S recordings? If so this might be a home for them?

Coleton Fishacre

Or the theatre collections of the V&A.

That is of course if no family connections surface. According to Wikipedia he doesn't appear to have had any children. But he does appear to have had a fascinating career.
Old 30-06-2012, 13:35   #3
Senior Member+

I haven't got them to hand. There's lots of Owdhams in Ossie.
Old 30-06-2012, 13:40   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I haven't got them to hand. There's lots of Owdhams in Ossie.
Oldham was born John Stephens Oldham in Accrington, Lancashire, the son of Thomas Oldham and his wife Harriett, née Stephens. He had an elder brother, George, and a sister.

This may be old news to you...
Old 30-06-2012, 15:40   #5
Senior Member+

I was aware of it. I cannot find a book I seek, but eem to recall that his father was a fine singer too, His brother George lived on Queens Rd and taught piano. At one time he acompanied Kathleen Ferrier

Just imagine - Kathleen Ferrier and Derek Oldham on the same bill. They could well have both appeared at the converzaziones at Ernest St Baptists.
Old 30-06-2012, 15:48   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I was aware of it. I cannot find a book I seek, but eem to recall that his father was a fine singer too, His brother George lived on Queens Rd and taught piano. At one time he acompanied Kathleen Ferrier

Just imagine - Kathleen Ferrier and Derek Oldham on the same bill. They could well have both appeared at the converzaziones at Ernest St Baptists.
That thought had crossed my mind when I was looking him up. I had not heard of him before.
Old 30-06-2012, 17:00   #7
Resting In Peace

Any idea what number Queens Road George Oldham lived at? Is he in your 1950s directory? I lived on Queens Road in the fifties.

I see that George Oldham started the Clef Club in 1903, a neighbour of ours in those days used to belong, a lovely man called Eric Smith who taught my brother to pay chess and coached him in Latin.

Music club notches up 100 years (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 30-06-2012, 18:56   #8
Senior Member+

2 Queen's Rd, a music teacher Tel 3319. It wouyld be intersting to see what the present occupant's number is.

At 54 lived EH Smith, works manager..... E.Smith at 36 No 30 is shown as 'windows need cleaning'
Old 30-06-2012, 19:06   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
2 Queen's Rd, a music teacher Tel 3319. It wouyld be intersting to see what the present occupant's number is.

At 54 lived EH Smith, works manager..... E.Smith at 36 No 30 is shown as 'windows need cleaning'
So George Oldham was right at the end next to the hospital.

Haha yes Bob our house probably was a bit scruffy, the garden certainly... but it was the only one on those blocks of Queens Road with a different shaped door surround - ours had a square window next to the door, all the others had an arched surround to the door. Never did work out why, it spoilt the unity of the whole street design. Still the same today.

The E Smith at 36 was our neighbour, a very cultured couple he and his wife Ruby, though I believe he worked in the family fent business but was retired by then. They used to play bridge with my parents at our house every Sunday night. Put me off cards for life.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..