Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2010, 10:10   #1
Give, give, give member

Diana Vickers.

Diana Vicker's is currently getting a lot of airtime on Radio 2, playing her new single 'Once'.

This comes after her critically acclaimed role in the revival of 'Little Voice', for which she won the Theatregoers' Choice Award in Febuary of this year.

Delighted Diana Vickers steals the show on opening night of Little Voice | Mail Online

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Press views: Vickers' West End debut

Diana Vickers: from X Factor to Little Voice - Times Online

Diana Vickers wins London theatre award (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Diana Vickers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2010, 12:49   #2

Re: Diana Vickers.

Absolutely terrible song completely the wrong sort of thing all that techno crap - she'd be better doing an Alanis Morrisette-Dido cross sort of thing.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 13:54   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Alanis Morrisette-Dido cross sort of thing.
The world doesn't need another angst ridden, moany old woman, 'singing' about her woes.

Old 14-03-2010, 13:57   #4
Give, give, give member

I wasn't critiquing the song, by the way.

Just noting that it was receiving widespread national coverage.

Old 14-03-2010, 18:04   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I wasn't critiquing the song, by the way.

Just noting that it was receiving widespread national coverage.

You can't expect to put up a link to a song and not expect people to comment on it Garinda. I think I would have to hear it more than 'Once' .. could be a song that grows on you.

As for Diane Vickers ... really pleased for her. To get good reviews for Little Voice speaks volumes to me ... her voice must be extremely versatile, and she has more talent than we originally judged.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 18:27   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
You can't expect to put up a link to a song and not expect people to comment on it Garinda. I think I would have to hear it more than 'Once' .. could be a song that grows on you.

As for Diane Vickers ... really pleased for her. To get good reviews for Little Voice speaks volumes to me ... her voice must be extremely versatile, and she has more talent than we originally judged.

Was just pointing out that if I had been critiquing the song I'd have done better than that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Absolutely terrible song completely the wrong sort of thing all that techno crap - she'd be better doing an Alanis Morrisette-Dido cross sort of thing.

There are lots of clips on YouTube of L.V. She didn't get one bad review from the critics, which is nigh on unique.

First night.

Old 14-03-2010, 18:37   #7
Give, give, give member

I saw Jane Horrocks, who the part was written for, and she was very good, but you could still hear flat Rawtenstall vowels creeping through the impressions, which you don't hear as much with Diana.

It is important to the story, because L.V. is supposed to do a pitch perfect impersonation of those female singers.

Mind you I know quite a few men who can do a flawless Shirley, Marilyn, and Judy etc.

Old 14-03-2010, 18:40   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
There are lots of clips on YouTube of L.V. She didn't get one bad review from the critics, which is nigh on unique.

First night.

I also thought this was quite amazing (Diana's favourite word) .. good on her, she will never be short of work.
Old 14-03-2010, 18:45   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I saw Jane Horrocks, who the part was written for, and she was very good, but you could still hear flat Rawtenstall vowels creeping through the impressions, which you don't hear as much with Diana.

It is important to the story, because L.V. is supposed to do a pitch perfect impersonation of those female singers.

I didn't think she would do as well up against Jane Horrocks .. very unfair to compare really. The Director probably recognised this small fault in Jane and worked on Diana to improve vowel pronunciations in song. I'm sure Jane Horrocks would recognise this herself now.
Old 14-03-2010, 18:47   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I also thought this was quite amazing (Diana's favourite word) .. good on her, she will never be short of work.
I think she's talented, and it's good to see another local achieving national fame in acting.

(I was a little worried we might disagree, and have another artistic disagreement, as in the should Nancy be black debate. Though of course I would have given in to the noted Grand Dame of Am. Dram.)

Old 14-03-2010, 18:50   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I didn't think she would do as well up against Jane Horrocks .. very unfair to compare really. The Director probably recognised this small fault in Jane and worked on Diana to improve vowel pronunciations in song. I'm sure Jane Horrocks would recognise this herself now.
It was the first time she did it in the West End ('91?), she later reprised the role, and would probably have been much better, as she was in the film, and as you point out.

Old 20-04-2010, 19:13   #12
Give, give, give member

'Diana Vickers looks poised to become the latest former X Factor contestant to top the UK singles chart as Paul Weller opens up a lead in his quest for a fourth solo chart-topping album.'
Music Week - Music Week - Music business magazine - Victory for Vickers in singles charts?

Old 25-04-2010, 18:29   #13
God Member

I`m not her biggest fan but well done for the local lass who has topped this weeks singles chart.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 21:30   #14
God Member

And it looks like her debut album `Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree` will do the same.................
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 21:33   #15
God Member

this song is really getting on my tits....she sounds like a cross between Sophie Ellis Bextor and Cilla Black....its crap
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..