Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2007, 01:07   #1

Dr Ronald Hill

What about Ronnie Hill being included in the Accrington Hall of Fame. Not only did he hold European mid Distance running titles but also represented the UK in the Marathon in 1964 Olympic Games inTokyo. If I rember rightly he lived on Dale St (Opposite the EJ Riley Factory) and went to Accrington Grammar School.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2007, 15:31   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Dr Ronald Hill

he ran for clayton harriers i think kingson,but as to where he lived/was from,that i dont know, if he is a local lad,then well worth a place.
Old 17-08-2007, 18:43   #3
Resting in Peace

My brother (Tubbyless) went to school with him at Accy Grammar and has pictures of them during x-country runs. A group of his year .. including Ron Hill, meet up annually for a re-union .. this time in the Lakes .. have some pictures of it somewhere .. but can't just find where he put them on my computer.

Surprised he has not replied to this thread yet .. left a message on his answering machine .. hope to be able to post them when he lets me know where they are !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 23:47   #4
Resting in Peace

Here's the one of the ex-Accy Grammar school lads who met up last year for a re-union .. sure old boys of approx 67 years of age will find it of interest, and maybe recognise a few faces. Separate one of Ron Hill, sure he won't mind.

Yes, did live in Dale Street, but seemingly no longer standing.

Think possibly his achievement is worthy of an honour .. have we got an Athlete yet who has had some sort of local honour? Another gentleman on there has just received one .. do you know which one ?

Brother is one on the left standing in a Prince Philip pose .. sorry Les.

Group.jpg Ron.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 07:03   #5

Yes Ronnie Hill lived on the left hand side of Dale St (going towards Accrington) just before Willows Lane. An athlete of his staure surely is worthy of being inducted into the "Hall Of Fame' Although I live in Australia I read somewhere that he held some sort of record for competing in Marathons in the 1960's..
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 23:03   #6
Resting in peace

Wink Re: Dr Ronald Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by khigson View Post
What about Ronnie Hill being included in the Accrington Hall of Fame. Not only did he hold European mid Distance running titles but also represented the UK in the Marathon in 1964 Olympic Games inTokyo. If I rember rightly he lived on Dale St (Opposite the EJ Riley Factory) and went to Accrington Grammar School.
I grew up with Ron and Norman Hill,I also remember you and your family liiving off Grimshaw st near the railway lines, and the coal sidings, I have private messaged you.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 20:16   #7

Ron Hill should definitely be recorded in Accrington's Hall of Fame. Not only was he a world class runner in his time, at school he was probably the best runner as well as getting 90+% in his exams (no, I didn't hate him...did I?). Sometimes I'd see him up Green Haworth when I was mooching around, running - presumably on his way back home. He's a few years older than I am but I do remember him at school and have a copy of the AGS photograph of 1957 with him on the front row and myself elsewhere amongst the also-rans, well some of us had to make up the numbers!!! Ron was featured in an article in The Daily Telegraph on 9 December 2006 - he was still running then. Jim Bowen also featured in The Daily telegraph, funnily enough on the day before Ron was featured. Jim also ran cross country for the Grammar School - perhaps not a lot of people know that.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 15:57   #8

I believe Ron won the Boston Marathon in 1970 in a record time.
If memory serves me right he ran the race barefoot.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 07:23   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
Ron Hill should definitely be recorded in Accrington's Hall of Fame. Not only was he a world class runner in his time, at school he was probably the best runner as well as getting 90+% in his exams (no, I didn't hate him...did I?). Sometimes I'd see him up Green Haworth when I was mooching around, running - presumably on his way back home. He's a few years older than I am but I do remember him at school and have a copy of the AGS photograph of 1957 with him on the front row and myself elsewhere amongst the also-rans, well some of us had to make up the numbers!!! Ron was featured in an article in The Daily Telegraph on 9 December 2006 - he was still running then. Jim Bowen also featured in The Daily telegraph, funnily enough on the day before Ron was featured. Jim also ran cross country for the Grammar School - perhaps not a lot of people know that.
Ron went to Springhill Junior School where we passed the 11+ at the same time. At AGS Ron was always A stream - i was B stream. We were great friends and spent a great deal of time in each others company - especially remembered are Bonfire Nights - we always had the fire in his back street.
Lost touch with him after he went to University.
I seem to remember that he held a World Record - 10 Mile perhaps, for a number of years.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..