Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2010, 08:46   #16
God Member

Re: ewbank sweepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
Sorry but I left Accy for Australia in 1964 at which stage there wa no "Asda",I'm taxing the memory now but basically Hyndburn Rd was a Road that went from the bottom of Dill Hall Lane, Church (followed the River Stink") into Accrington, on the way was a lodge" on the left hand side near the Ewbank Factory and one on the left side near Hyndburn Park School. and the Tenement on the right hand side just before you got into Accrington.
Haggs Lodge is still there and The asda covers the old Ewbank site.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2011, 15:30   #17
Resting in Peace

Have been on holiday in Scotland and popped into a little private museum in Dalbeattie full of amazing treasures.
These were two of them :

Southness 2011 020.jpg

Southness 2011 021.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 16:19   #18
Beacon of light

Katex, that is a picture of the self same model my sister in law(out in Oz) used up until her death a couple of years ago. I am not sure if it went out to Oz when they emigrated in 1949......but when we were staying at her home in Corowa in the 1980's she brought it out of the cupboard to pick up the crumbs after an afternon tea with her neighbours and us.
When she moved from Corowa to Wodonga into a newly refurbished home.....she took it with her. I can't imagine that her daughter has kept it, but I quietly hope she has.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 18:35   #19
Junior Member+

my wife barbara pettifer worked at ubank for many years starting in the sanding department and finished driving afork lift k pettifer
kpettifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 19:23   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Factory was in Electricity Street. My wife worked there for as while in the early days of our marriage. She suffered a miscarriage due to over-exerting herself whilst using a hand operated press. The management were very unsympathetic at the time and I have never forgiven them for it.
Only just noticed this, The Entrance to the Ewbank was at the bottom of Oxford Street, across the road from the Union Inn, was no way in on Electricity Street, the end of the factory was yon. Spent quite a bit of time in the union at dinners when i worked yon, The landlords daughter had a bearing on me choice of pub.
Old 09-09-2013, 20:23   #21
God Member

ewbank was where asda is located

i know this for sure because i used to play there amongst teh asbestos they used to leave laying around the place and was once captured by security and held in the office inside teh factor until collected lol

there were tow huge coal bunkers at teh rear of the building they must have thought we were trying to steal coal but we were merely lighting fires in the overgrown area making asbestos explode

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:01   #22
Junior Member+

my wife barbara pettifer worked at ewbank from the sixties in the sanding dept and then went on to driving the fork lift for many many years
Old 06-01-2014, 16:09   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpettifer View Post
my wife barbara pettifer worked at ewbank from the sixties in the sanding dept and then went on to driving the fork lift for many many years
You've already stated that on post 19
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 00:31   #24
Junior Member+

My wife barbara drove the large fork lift for six or seven years in the sixties
Old 04-12-2017, 01:31   #25

ewbank are still made in Burnley Lancashire , I recently bought one from ebay a few months ago ,and is was on the box Burnley England
ofcom000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:36   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcom000 View Post
ewbank are still made in Burnley Lancashire , I recently bought one from ebay a few months ago ,and is was on the box Burnley England

After you used it, did it smell of burning beryllium oxide?
ofcom000 likes this.
Old 04-12-2017, 17:13   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcom000 View Post
Ewbank were taken over by Prestige Group (Burnley), in the late '50s but they continued operating in Accrington into the late '60s or so.
Old 04-12-2017, 17:52   #28
Beacon of light

I thought that Ewbank Sweepers were unpowered...no motor, so it would be unlikely that you would smell the (burning)electrical insulator beryllium oxide Neil.
Unless this was a tongue in cheek comment. Sometimes it is hard to tell when it is a tongue in cheek comment.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 22:26   #29
Full Member+

My Grandmother used to work at Ewbank in Accrington.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:12   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I thought that Ewbank Sweepers were unpowered...no motor, so it would be unlikely that you would smell the (burning)electrical insulator beryllium oxide Neil.
Unless this was a tongue in cheek comment. Sometimes it is hard to tell when it is a tongue in cheek comment.
It was a joke with someone I've known a long time,

too long

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..