Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2004, 09:16   #1
Senior Member+

Gerard De Rose

Putting Gerard into our Hall of Fame, where he deserves to be, then our "Men of Mark" are all together.

Ever heard the name Gerard De Rose?

Gerard was an Accrington born lad, whose father was of Russian descent. He was born at "Carrara Cottage" in Oxford Street, the house still being there to this day. The house was named by his grandfather, Mr Tom Dean, a well known mason in his time, who made old-style marble fireplaces and ornaments. The name "carrara" is derived from Italian-style masonry work.

The old Grammar School which used to be along Blackburn Road once was known as the "Accrington School of Art and Crafts" and here he excelled in art. He won a State Scholarship in Art and attended the Royal College of Art in London. Whilst there WW2 broke out and he had to put his studies on hold. Later he resumed his studies at the Royal College and became a lecturer. His portrait painting became well known and he painted many famous people i.e. The then Duke of Bedford, Julie Christie, Charlie Drake, Ken Dodd, Mick Jagger and Morecambe and Wise (if you look closely, you can see the portrait of M and W on the photo I have included).

His self portrait and a portrait of his wife are still in Haworth Art Gallery, although not always on public showing.

Thats Gerard on the front row, left hand side.

If anyone has any further information about this gentleman I would love to hear from you. I have recently been told of a local gentleman who has one of Gerards paintings hanging in his hallway.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2012, 22:07   #2

Re: Gerard De Rose

My mother Gladys, who has now passed away told me a few times about how in the early part of last century, probably would be just after the war..1924 ish, her brother Richard I think maybe aged about 7.. ish regularly used to play with Gerard at their home in Oxford street. I seem to remember his parents were very protective of him and would only let a small number of children play with Gerard, my uncle obviously being one of them. Why my uncle I'm not sure, maybe they were a very influential family in the area. I seem also to recall her saying something like "he would be summond" to go and play with him, but its a bit vague to be honest....

Phil

Last edited by Karateman; 06-01-2012 at 22:13.
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..