Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2010, 13:01   #16
I am Banned

Re: Huncoat Hall - (Birtwistle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I know I'm {a lot ** late, but you know........
I used to stay at the farm when my Aunty Glady's [ ne Proctor] lived there.
She then moved down the lane a bit and lived in [one] of the cottages. What has happened to 'Plantation Mill'
Plantation Mill was derelict back in the 1930's.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2010, 13:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Albert Birtwell was the one who came round with a horse drawn cart blowing a whistle (that is Albert blowing the whistle, not the cart.)
I am researching my family tree and my mother's sister, Gladys, married Albert Birtwell in 1928.....but not sure which Albert Birtwell...on the 1911 census there are two Birtwell families, one at 54 Spencer Street and one at 8 Orange Street both have sons called Albert...one age 4 and one age 6. .... any more info would be gratefully received...
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 08:50   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

P.M.sent.....
Old 09-05-2010, 18:44   #19

Smile Re: Huncoat Hall - (Birtwistle)

Hello, I am new and looking for more information on my family tree and came across this post.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
I thought it was Birtwell's Ice Cream van that use to come round!

Albert Birtwell was the one who came round with a horse drawn cart blowing a whistle (that is Albert blowing the whistle, not the cart.)
My grandfather is Robert Colin Birtwell son to Albert Birtwell who owned the Birtwell's Ice Cream van, and his father was Ambrose Birtwell. If anybody has any pictures or stories or anything I would be so grateful.

Thankyou
archie likes this.
sdcymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:48   #20

My Great grandparents were Birtwistles and we have traced our family back to Huncoat Hall in the 1100's. I thought we would get a couple of generations back but never thought we would get back so far and be linked to Huncoat as my family are from liverpool.
Old 10-08-2011, 22:54   #21
Senior Member+

Grief! How on earth do you research back to the 1100's? I have only got back as far as the 1780's and early 1800's and thats far enough for me! I have only done that by looking at the 1841 census and working back with people's ages at that time.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 20:42   #22

Hi June (Atarah).... We paid to get our family tree done professionally. You can only go back to the 1500's as a commoner. If anything exists previous to that then it is nobility so will be polishing my tiara and greeting my people with a quaint wave as i drive past.
Phillipa x
Old 12-08-2011, 17:16   #23
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcymru View Post
Hello, I am new and looking for more information on my family tree and came across this post.

My grandfather is Robert Colin Birtwell son to Albert Birtwell who owned the Birtwell's Ice Cream van, and his father was Ambrose Birtwell. If anybody has any pictures or stories or anything I would be so grateful.

Thankyou
Did any member of the family have Hindle as her maiden name ?
Dave H likes this.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 09:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Did any member of the family have Hindle as her maiden name ?
My Great Grandfather had Hindle in his name as a middle name cant remember why though... it all linked up.
Would have to go back and look at my info to check x
Old 16-08-2011, 17:17   #25
Senior Member+

Just remember HINDLE is a dead common name, so could be hard to trace. Oops, maybe I should use the word "popular name" - here in Lancashire . I was a Hindle before I got married.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 17:26   #26
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaowzinzara View Post
My Great Grandfather had Hindle in his name as a middle name cant remember why though... it all linked up.
Would have to go back and look at my info to check x
I once went with a pal to the farm in the late 50s or early 60s . His dad was Harry Hindle , and I'm sure Mrs Birtwell was his sister .

They lived across back from us up Fern Gore . When Mr Birtwell came our way with the ice cream he always stayed at Harry Hindle's for a while .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 12:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Just remember HINDLE is a dead common name, so could be hard to trace. Oops, maybe I should use the word "popular name" - here in Lancashire . I was a Hindle before I got married.

We got back by going through the name hindle.... suppose its easier for someone who does it professionally x
Old 31-12-2012, 16:08   #28
Resting In Peace

For Bamboo Susan who is looking for info on the Birtwistles:

Family Tree Maker's Genealogy Site: User Home Page Outline Descendant Tree: Descendents of Ralph De Birdtwisell. 1160. 24/2/00

See post no 1 on this thread as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 20:11   #29
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcymru View Post

Thankyou
I well remember Birtwell's ice cream and the horse drawn cart. The ice cream was a yellow colour and was very creamy in taste. I seem to remember that they rang a large hand bell to get our attention. A good friend of mine was Michael Birtwell who lived with his parent's in Broadfield Road Fern Gore Accrington, and was related to the Birtwell's of huncoat. Michael unfortunately died young at 50 about 11years ago. Regards, Mike Rotheram
Mike Rotheram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:34   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramjackson View Post
Hey !! my names Laura Jackson and i live at High Riley !!! What do you want to know about us ???
Nor so quick, but I do live in South Africa.
Could you contact me at <[email protected]>
There is a possibility we may related, in a round about way.
Cheers
Lance Travis
Accie lance is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..