Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-12-2018, 11:22   #31

Re: Huncoat Hall - (Birtwistle)

Wow that's a lot to take in. I'll have to check if there are any unclaimed inheritance for me haha. But seriously this is incredible. I only got as far as 1800 on geaneology but thanks to you a may be able to extend my family tree so much further.
Thank you
Michael Birtwistle
Michael Birtwistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2019, 08:16   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
i have in my possesion a prayer book owned by
a Sarah ann Dewhurst of huncoat hall
dated july1st 1900
the book was previously owned by a Sarah ann Pilkington
dated 1874 thi could be the maiden name of the above
any help to anyone ??

Sarah Ann Pilkington and Lawrence Dewhurst were living at 'do Cottage' on the 1881 Census where 'do' means ditto and translates to 'Huncoat Hall Cottage' as it corresponds to the previous entry for Thomas Haworth 42yrs (farmer of 123 acres) 'Huncoat Hall'

Lawrence 28yrs was born Padiham and Sarah Ann 28yrs was born Dukenfield, Cheshire. They were married at St James Church Kirk 1880. Hope that helps.

Huncoat Hall is associated with the Birtwistles but tended to have multiple occupancy by various families on subsequent Census years.

Back in the day the White Lion Inn at Huncoat would be the site where the sale of Huncoat Hall, Griffin's Head and other local properties took place.
Regards
Old 22-05-2019, 17:26   #33

hello. My 4th great grandmother was Betty Pilkington 1778-1829. She married John Sudall and family sources say their son Robert Sudall 1817 was born at Huncoat Hall. We have no information on the Pilkington’s. I just wondering if you have anymore information on the Pilkington family and maybe our Pilkington relatives are related. Thank you
Shortyn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 15:24   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcymru View Post
Hello, I am new and looking for more information on my family tree and came across this post.

My grandfather is Robert Colin Birtwell son to Albert Birtwell who owned the Birtwell's Ice Cream van, and his father was Ambrose Birtwell. If anybody has any pictures or stories or anything I would be so grateful.

Thankyou
I am just getting re-acquainted with the Accy.Web and just noticed your post. So I am a little late in replying.
Birtwell Ice Cream mid-Late 50's: The horse and cart used to stand in the back running down to the main road from Melbourne Street. A whistle was blown and as kids we used to run out from our joint back yard to purchase our ice cream 4d or 6d I think. We were always asked if we wanted blood (Raspberry sauce) Sometimes the horse would set off without warning as the ice cream was being handed over. I don't know the name of which Birtwell, it was probably Ambrose, but he certainly had a gruff voice yelling at the horse to stand. But very often we ended up chasing the cart down the back, laughing all the way to get our ice cream.Happy Memories.
archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 09:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
I am just getting re-acquainted with the Accy.Web and just noticed your post. So I am a little late in replying.
Birtwell Ice Cream mid-Late 50's: The horse and cart used to stand in the back running down to the main road from Melbourne Street. A whistle was blown and as kids we used to run out from our joint back yard to purchase our ice cream 4d or 6d I think. We were always asked if we wanted blood (Raspberry sauce) Sometimes the horse would set off without warning as the ice cream was being handed over. I don't know the name of which Birtwell, it was probably Ambrose, but he certainly had a gruff voice yelling at the horse to stand. But very often we ended up chasing the cart down the back, laughing all the way to get our ice cream.Happy Memories.
I have lived in the village since 1954, you are right about the horse and ice cream cart but it was Albert Birtwell, the owner of Hillhouse Farm who made and sold the ice cream;I sometimes used to help(or was it hinder) Albert to harness the horses to the carts; Dolly and Jewel were two of the three horses he had.I cannot remember the name of the third; when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old I once rode one bearback whilst leading another to the blacksmith in Haslingdon to have them reshod then rode them back again over the moors back to Huncoat, Albert also taught me to drive before I reached my teens on his little grey Ferguson T-E-20-1953 Tractor.
As you rightly say, "Happy Memories.
Regards Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 09:14   #36

I have just remembered,Albert and his wife Emmer,(not sure if thats spelt right), moved from Rake Head Farm on the Coppice to Hillhouse probably in the late forties or early fifties.
Rake head Farm is no longer there it was situated where the new cutting was made for the A56, Highway in the sky.
I think Emm could have been Alberts second wife but not sure.

Last edited by taddy; 22-10-2020 at 09:17.
Old 22-10-2020, 11:11   #37

For Emmer read Emma,sorry. As far as I can recall, Albert and Emma had four children,Colin who went to New Zealand, (I think), Marion, Stephen and Ian.
Ian and his wife still live at Hillhouse, Stephen or (Steven), died recently. I hope this is of some help.
Regards Taddy
Old 22-10-2020, 12:40   #38
Beacon of light

Birtwells Ice cream, the colour of butter....they used to come around with the horse and cart
On a Sunday afternoon.....out we would go for the cornets, the sandwiches(made in a silver coloured contraption on a handle) Some people would bring out fancy glass dishes so that the family could dig in.
Oh, it was nectar of the gods.
This ice cream spoilt me for the rest of my life...because no ice cream could come up to that delicious frozen ambrosia (no Taddy...not the rice pudding, but the food of the gods).
I hardly ever eat ice cream now.
taddy likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..