Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2004, 08:55   #1

Jack Simmons

Enfield CC, Lancashire CC, Chairman of Lancs CC, Overseas professional for Tasmania for many years, and brought Tasmania into main stream Aussie Cricket.

Jack (Flat Jack) Simmons came from Clayton-Le-Moors, attended Accrington Secondary Technical School (Ossy Tech) and became famous for his Cricketing prowess. Jack was another success story from the "Tech" where he was initially coached and encouraged by the PE teacher Bob Cunliffe (another nice guy who knew his cricket and his pupils)
A great guy and a credit to Accrington, Jack has never forgotten his roots.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2004, 13:00   #2
God Member

Re: Jack Simmons

I think it was Michael Atherton who wrote in his biography about a "Simmo Special".....purchased from a Fish & Chip Shop, after a days hard cricket. Appaently, it was 2 fish, 2 lots of chips and 6 pies...all open. He would clear the lot.

He used to live up Dill Hall Lane, if I remember rightly.......there was also another famous guy who lived up there as a kid and also published his autobiography...but the names just slipping me....any ideas's anyone? I think he was a TV star.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 13:30   #3

Was it Jim Bowen (not his real name). The one who was castigated for not being politically correct?
Old 23-06-2004, 13:41   #4
God Member

Yep! That's him...Jim bowen.....did'nt he teach maths at Accy Grammar? He was "The Comedians" back in the early '70's..also the "Wheeltappers & Shunters"...then the Price is Right, was it? What happened to him? Whats this PC stuff?
Old 23-06-2004, 13:57   #5
mez
God Member

yes your right there tea, glad you didna stop off i for one would have really missed you :engsmil:
Old 23-06-2004, 14:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Yep! That's him...Jim bowen.....did'nt he teach maths at Accy Grammar? He was "The Comedians" back in the early '70's..also the "Wheeltappers & Shunters"...then the Price is Right, was it? What happened to him? Whats this PC stuff?
You must have heard about him and his PC failure.!!

On his TV show he said (to a contestant) "Don't be a N*g N*g (first * =i, second * = o)"

And within minutes his world had been destroyed. I think it was on ITV (not sure as I don't get UK TV), and they forced him into resigning (or forcing by any other name). He apologised for his "slip of the tongue" claiming all innocence, and saying that such words were quite normal a few years ago and meant "don't be a so and so". But they bayed for his blood, and he was reduced to tears.
Pity because I thought he produced a good family show and I can't ever remember him using four letter words (not like Bernard Manning....woops I'll be outlawed for mentioning his name). I always found him amusing, and sometimes even funny, he had done so much for charity and was a nice guy. What a way to treat people...Not nice!! Still that's life under an oppresive regime!

I think that precludes him from our Hall of Fame as well
Old 23-06-2004, 14:48   #7

The tv show was 'Bullseye' and it ended years ago (at least ten).

The incident you refer to occurred on his Radio Lancashire show...he described someones behaviour as 'acting the n*gn*g' (not taking any chances - hence the asteriks!), it just so happened that the person in question was a Pakistani. The only people to kick off were the 'appalled' left-wing white minority and Bowen was forced to resign, thus denying people like my grandparents the enjoyment of his show.

It was a wicked and unfair incident.
Old 23-06-2004, 14:49   #8

Simmons gets my blessing - just about old enough to remember him.
Old 23-06-2004, 15:08   #9
God Member

Yeah Simmo was a character....I remember his last season for Lancashire when he was fielding..he would take about 3 steps and then say "forget it"..they don't make 'em like that an more

I always thought a nog was a shot of spirit with a whisked egg in it.
Old 26-06-2004, 08:31   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I always thought a nog was a shot of spirit with a whisked egg in it
What's a nig then?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..