Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2011, 12:06   #136
I am Banned

Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

Groove beleives our Maggy is being facetious.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-10-2011, 14:12   #137
Beacon of light

Not facetious at all...and just to reiterate I am not your Maggy.
Groove, it is absolutely useless of you to apologise, if you continue to do the thing you apologised for.

And didn't you ever learn at school......'i before e except after c'? (believes)...you use this word a lot, so I thought I would help you to spell it correctly.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 14:34   #138
Give, give, give member

It's no secret she was born in Manchester, and came to Accrington as a baby, when she was adopted.

Nearly all her biographical blurbs state these facts.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 14:58   #139
God Member

I love "Oranges..." and have a video of the drammatisation, I identify with a lot of it (though in my case it was a catholic up-bringing -gruesome bloody statues in church, being told we were born with original sin etc etc...)

The x-stitch sampler, bulb planting etc are very familiar, as my mum (who taught her for a year) used to try them out on me and my sister at home! I knew Mrs Virtue (a much older colleague of mum's) whose name she used to embody all her teachers, wonderfully fitting for the novel!

The fair on Ellison's tennament, the Accy Vic., the fish market, the ladies in the sweet shop etc - it's actually a very accurate description of how it was growing up here in the 70's and not detrimental to the town at all...

Of her other work, I've read Sexing the Cherry and some essays - not as easy to follow though.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 23-10-2011 at 15:00. Reason: adding a few words
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 21:42   #140
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's no secret she was born in Manchester, and came to Accrington as a baby, when she was adopted.

Nearly all her biographical blurbs state these facts.
That's still no excuse for the picture in the magazine. It's probably the worst possible vista of Accy you can imagine. Why couldn't she have got a shot of herself outside the market hall or town hall, or even from the top of the Coppice? She simply seems to wallow in a pictorial statement saying 'this is the mess that I came from and it's still the same'. It's disgraceful. Sod her. She has nothing good or positive to say about Accy, so why the hell should we associate ourselves with her?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 09:10   #141
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
That's still no excuse for the picture in the magazine. It's probably the worst possible vista of Accy you can imagine. Why couldn't she have got a shot of herself outside the market hall or town hall, or even from the top of the Coppice? She simply seems to wallow in a pictorial statement saying 'this is the mess that I came from and it's still the same'. It's disgraceful. Sod her. She has nothing good or positive to say about Accy, so why the hell should we associate ourselves with her?
For once I agree with you Mr T
Old 24-10-2011, 10:56   #142
I am Banned

Quote:
Groove agrees with Mr.Tealeaf on this issue, hence my post about stereotypical mill-town images etc...Groove would like to thank Mrs.Pilky for correcting his spelling errors.
Old 24-10-2011, 11:48   #143
Senior Member+

Well yes i guess she could if she had wanted to, have given a different image of Accrington than the one the photo portrays. This is as mentioned, the back alley between Water Street/Avenue Parade. She was i believe brought up on Water street, so perhaps this is at the back of her old house.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 07:09   #144
I am Banned

Groove thinks he was to write a book about his life in a nortern town, he too would use a stereotypical view of cobbles, terraced houses and mills etc...Groove believes this is what makes Accy different, were as a view of the town or market hall or Arndale or whatever could have been taken anywere in Britain. Groove thinks in 50-100 years all towns will look the same with characterless buildings.
Old 25-10-2011, 08:30   #145
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Right then. It would appear that Ms Winterson is not from Accy at all but from Manchester. Or at least according her autobigraphy which is out next week, an extract of which was in The Times Magazine yesterday, To accompany that picture, there is a picture if Ms Winterson in Accy. I cannot decide which looks grimmer - her or the town.

Anyway, here is as much of the piccy as I could scan. Apologies for the quality. I still guess though, it's copywrite News International.

So, moderators - please leave this on for another few days and then please delete the entire thread.
Where's the photo of Ms. Winterson?

Why have you posted a picture of a young Bob Dylan?

Did he stop in Accrington for a wee up a back alley, on his way from Sheffield to Liverpool, on his '65 tour?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img029.jpg (499.9 KB, 17 views)

Old 29-10-2011, 14:55   #146
Senior Member+

I remember that view well down the back street - with Karrimor at the bottom!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:30   #147
God Member

Her latest memoir which includes new revelations about her young life in Accrington has just been released.
It's called "Why be happy when you could be normal?" Her mother's parting words to her when she left home at 16.
She has read some of the book for BBC Radio 2 - you can hear it at the following link and read a synopsis of the new novel.
Jeanette Winterson reads her memoir on BBC radio The Eyes Have It

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:32   #148
God Member

She is on BBC News tomorrow morning sometime between 6am - 9am
Old 02-11-2011, 13:52   #149
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
She is on BBC News tomorrow morning sometime between 6am - 9am

She was also on "The One Show" yesterday with a feature about adoption, shows some clips around Accrington & "Oranges". Its about 2 minutes into the show.

BBC iPlayer - The One Show: 01/11/2011

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 13:52   #150
Give, give, give member

She was interviewed on North West Tonight yesterday, too.

Saying although it was hard, she was glad she was adopted, and brought up in Accrington.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..