Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 13:18   #166
God Member

Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
She wrote Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, indeed it was dramatised and broadcast, whilst her parents were alive.

Her mother used the press, to give her side of the story.

What 'kind' don't we need round here?

Writers?

Adopted children?

Oxbridge graduates?

People with a high media profile, both nationally, and internationally?

Ginger haired folk?
I also think Thindle may be alluding to what you have deliberately missed out, Garinda!
Oranges rates as one of my favourite books and I have read it many times over the years -the drammatisation I have on VHS and it is brilliantly acted and captures Accy in the period perfectly, just as I remember it. Wish i had her talent for writing.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2011, 13:25   #167
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I also think Thindle may be alluding to what you have deliberately missed out, Garinda!
Women?

Rid the area of ladies?

I can't see that being too popular.

Heavens above.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 13:29   #168
God Member

Quote:
If she was subject to things similar to this as a child, carried out in a Pentecostal church in Accrington, I'd have thought it just the sort of material a writer might use, when writing about their own life, at some time in their career.

I have a 60 yr old brother -in-law who became an Evangelist after his divorce in order to marry his second wife who is 20 yrs younger (this 20 yrs ago)...he is now the fanatic!

Was invited to his Baptism - full immersion style and saw the style of their service with people calling out they'd seen the Lord, falling to the floor and generally creating a bit of mass hysteria(I repeat this was a Baptism not an exorcism) - watched most of it to satisfy my curiosity but got up and left when they started calling upon new people they'd brought in (who were very obviously vulnerable or at difficult times in their lives. One young woman had just found out she had MS, another elderly couple had lost their son in an accident..) to renounce the devil etc. and become part of a warm happy family

It's fascinating to see but wouldn't want to be a part of it -if you're in you're in but otherwise they can ostracise you and make your life hell -anything but good Christians as far as I'm concerned. Excellent writing material though as you say!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-11-2011, 13:31   #169
God Member

Quote:
Women?

Rid the area of ladies?

I can't see that being too popular.

Heavens above.
Actually I was thinking more " Bob Dylan look-alikes" -you can have too many of them around

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-11-2011, 13:34   #170
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I have a 60 yr old brother -in-law who became an Evangelist after his divorce in order to marry his second wife who is 20 yrs younger (this 20 yrs ago)...he is now the fanatic!

Was invited to his Baptism - full immersion style and saw the style of their service with people calling out they'd seen the Lord, falling to the floor and generally creating a bit of mass hysteria(I repeat this was a Baptism not an exorcism) - watched most of it to satisfy my curiosity but got up and left when they started calling upon new people they'd brought in (who were very obviously vulnerable or at difficult times in their lives. One young woman had just found out she had MS, another elderly couple had lost their son in an accident..) to renounce the devil etc. and become part of a warm happy family

It's fascinating to see but wouldn't want to be a part of it -if you're in you're in but otherwise they can ostracise you and make your life hell -anything but good Christians as far as I'm concerned. Excellent writing material though as you say!
Do you think they could have a go at an over-inflated, politically ambitious case?

Old 03-11-2011, 13:39   #171
God Member

Quote:
Do you think they could have a go at an over-inflated, politically ambitious case?
Depends if he's fit in the tub

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-11-2011, 13:51   #172
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Maybe.

Is there a side step?

Old 03-11-2011, 14:00   #173
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Oranges rates as one of my favourite books and I have read it many times over the years -the drammatisation I have on VHS and it is brilliantly acted and captures Accy in the period perfectly, just as I remember it. Wish i had her talent for writing.
Yes I was thinkng that too. Loved Oranges on TV, watched it again recently. It even had a bit about Morecambe!

I think she is a very intelligent and articulate person who has made the most of a dodgy start in life. Wish there were more like her.

BTW her name is Winterson not Winterston as in the title of this thread. Apols if this has been pointed out before.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 14:14   #174
God Member

Quote:
This may be have been wishful thinking -it was meant to read -depends if he'D fit in the tub....hmmm! The workings of the mind are a mystery

(S and D are next to each other on the keyboard so it was a genuine mistake....I think)

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-11-2011, 14:17   #175
Give, give, give member

Quote:
This may be have been wishful thinking -it was meant to read -depends if he'D fit in the tub....hmmm! The workings of the mind are a mystery

(S and D are next to each other on the keyboard so it was a genuine mistake....I think)

S'ok, my brain ain't wired right either.

I read it as a 'd'.

Old 03-11-2011, 14:17   #176
God Member

Quote:
Maybe.

Is there a side step?
Been rather a lot of side-stepping on here lately...

Is this to avoid a rear view? I have nothing against rear's!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-11-2011, 18:21   #177
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle View Post
She wants to stay there. We don't need her kind in Accy. I see she calls her adoptive parents when they're dead, and can't answer to her claims.
I have seen her Oranges etc and it's a load of rubbish.
Take it she not on your Christmas Card list
Old 03-11-2011, 18:24   #178
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Been rather a lot of side-stepping on here lately...

Is this to avoid a rear view? I have nothing against rear's!
Its actually called the Accy Web two step, mobertol
Old 03-11-2011, 19:57   #179
God Member

Not much of a dancer myself- two left feet unfortunately. Tend to stick 'em in too, when and where not wanted...

I know my limitations....

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01   #180
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not much of a dancer myself- two left feet unfortunately. Tend to stick 'em in too, when and where not wanted...

I know my limitations....
Neither are those who do the Accy Web two step

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..