Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 16:42   #181
Senior Member+

Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Can't all be as well groomed as Valerie Singleton.

Thought myself, quite a smart looking young chap.

Footballer John Fashnu and his brother (I think he was a twin) were adopted and one committed suicide apparently! Kate Aidy was too!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2011, 17:10   #182
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Footballer John Fashnu and his brother (I think he was a twin) were adopted and one committed suicide apparently! Kate Aidy was too!
I don't think St. Kate of the Battlefields would ever class herself as a style icon, and nor should she. She was first and foremost a reporter. A very good one.

She might dust off her combat jacket, spit on her hand, and try and flatten her hair, before giving a live report from some God forsaken war zone.

But that's about it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 17:59   #183
Resting in Peace

Re: Jeanette Winterson - famous novelist

Quote:
I don't think St. Kate of the Battlefields would ever class herself as a style icon, and nor should she. She was first and foremost a reporter. A very good one.

She might dust off her combat jacket, spit on her hand, and try and flatten her hair, before giving a live report from some God forsaken war zone.

But that's about it.
Ya if your booking into a hotel and Kate Adie and Angela Lansbury are ahead in the queue, check into another hotel
Old 16-03-2012, 06:17   #184
God Member

if anyone is after any of Jeanettes books we have a few in the secondhand bookshop i'm working in, we don't have 'oranges are not the only fruit' anymore because i bought it yesterday but if anyone wants to borrow it then they can
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 23:17   #185
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
if anyone is after any of Jeanettes books we have a few in the secondhand bookshop i'm working in, we don't have 'oranges are not the only fruit' anymore because i bought it yesterday but if anyone wants to borrow it then they can

I would think if they nipped down the library they could also borrow a copy!
Old 17-03-2012, 07:32   #186
God Member

SOME people like to OWN a book, this may be an alien concept to you seen as your mind is so mashed by all the drugs you take
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40   #187
Senior Member+

A lady has been in touch from BBC3 doing research for a documentary about Jeanette Winterson. She is after knowing if anyone has any knowedge of the family when they lived in Water Street, and if there are any old fashioned 2 up 2 down houses left in Accrington area where they could do some filming (the more original features it has the better).

If anyone could help in any way, if they would like to pm me, and I will give you the contact details.

Thank you
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56   #188
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
SOME people like to OWN a book, this may be an alien concept to you seen as your mind is so mashed by all the drugs you take
I haven't taken that many drugs. I do have a large book collection.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:47   #189
God Member

i noticed at work this morning that we also have 'sexing the cherry' in (another JW book)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:47   #190
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
A lady has been in touch from BBC3 doing research for a documentary about Jeanette Winterson. She is after knowing if anyone has any knowedge of the family when they lived in Water Street, and if there are any old fashioned 2 up 2 down houses left in Accrington area where they could do some filming (the more original features it has the better).

If anyone could help in any way, if they would like to pm me, and I will give you the contact details.

Thank you
So did anyone know Jeanette well back in the 70's?
Old 05-09-2012, 15:28   #191
I am Banned

My sister was in the same class at Accrington Girls High School. I gave her Jeanette's " Why be happy when you could be normal" to read. She said "well she was always a bit wierd at school" *chuckle*
Incidentally her latest book a fictionalised account of the Pendle Witches " The Daylight Gate" is a good read. Dark days over England.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 15:31   #192
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
My sister was in the same class at Accrington Girls High School. I gave her Jeanette's " Why be happy when you could be normal" to read. She said "well she was always a bit wierd at school" *chuckle*
Incidentally her latest book a fictionalised account of the Pendle Witches " The Daylight Gate" is a good read. Dark days over England.
might just look that up, see if i can get it on "digikal"
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 15:34   #193
Senior Member+

The Daylight Gate (eBook) by Jeanette Winterson 9781446492321 | WHSmith.co.uk
£7.49 at wh smith
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 21:56   #194
Give, give, give member

When I was working on the Cornish lesbian farm, no one knew her.

Which is suprising, as it's a very tight group of women.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 00:07   #195
Senior Member+

Quote:
When I was working on the Cornish lesbian farm, no one knew her.

Which is suprising, as it's a very tight group of women.
Are you joking (again!)

She was often seen walking up the bowling green and coppice with her yorkshire terrier before she became a literary genius.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..