Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 13:34   #256
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post

In Jeanette's case I might be wrong but I'm sure the programme said her adoptive Mother told her that her Mother was dead.
Thats what it did say on the programme.
Old 12-12-2012, 14:19   #257

Thanks Cashman, just been doing some reading online, she says her adoption never really played a big part in Oranges although her Mother often called her the wrong child etc. When she found papers of her adoption in 2007 it changed things for her I've read.

I'm quite intrigued by her for some reason I might even order 'Why be happy' and I've never read a book in my life
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 14:33   #258
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I'm quite intrigued by her for some reason I might even order 'Why be happy' and I've never read a book in my life
You can read it online here

?????: Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?
Shurm likes this.
Old 12-12-2012, 14:38   #259

Thanks Susie I had just found the link by reading some earlier posts.

I know this might sound daft to some but I don't mind buying the book, I always feel I appreciate something more if I've paid for it !!! Weird
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 15:47   #260
God Member

Quote:
Sorry to pick up on this but any child sometimes does not connect with their parents, it's how your brought up and loved that influences this.

In Jeanette's case I might be wrong but I'm sure the programme said her adoptive Mother told her that her Mother was dead.
Have just finished watching the programme - and she did indeed say that.

I found it a very interesting watch, she's honest and funny and obviously very intelligent and I think she's a great writer. She seems to have made peace with Mrs Winterson as at the end she said "I think she got the right daughter for her and I got the right mother for me." She is undoubtedly who she is because of the up-bringing she received but her sexuality was in no way affected by it, it was already decided on the day she was conceived!

I thought Accrington came across very well in the programme.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:24   #261
bzk
Junior Member+

Adopted Child Syndrome:

Adopted child syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See also:

Adopted Child Syndrome (ACS) - Amfor.Net

Quote:
Adoptees are 15 times more likely to kill one or both of their adoptive parents than biological children

Although I've only just started digging on the web, there is obviously quite a lot of psychology going on with adopted children. Even those adopted so young that they could have no conscience memory of their biological parents.

Please don't get me wrong, the vast majority will be happy well adjusted people, and almost certainly end up in better households than the one they were born into. Their life outcomes are no doubt improved way beyond what they would have been if they had stayed with their biological parent(s). I am making the point this is almost certainly the case with JW, but it does not come across in the TV programmes.
bzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 16:35   #262
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thanks Cashman, just been doing some reading online, she says her adoption never really played a big part in Oranges although her Mother often called her the wrong child etc. When she found papers of her adoption in 2007 it changed things for her I've read.

People who get some fame always have an alure, strange how if your ex suddenly becomes famous or gets a bit of celebrity (no matter how small) - how suddenly they become attractive again in the light of celebrity.

If you are adopted it must always be at the back of your mind...
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 15:05   #263
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
People who get some fame always have an alure, strange how if your ex suddenly becomes famous or gets a bit of celebrity (no matter how small) - how suddenly they become attractive again in the light of celebrity.

If you are adopted it must always be at the back of your mind...
Not quite like that kestrelx Jeanette sought out her birth mother not without some difficulties and blocks from the "authorities" along the way and it didn't really solve anything or have a happy ending for either of them.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 13:03   #264
I am Banned

Any Questions today:
Andrew Lansley gets creamed by JW when he says food banks are a good idea. Way To Go Jeanette
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 14:09   #265
Senior Member+

I pass her adopted mothers grave often and soon after the program was shown on TV I noticed flowers had been placed on it.
susie123 likes this.
Old 20-02-2014, 17:54   #266
Senior Member+

Jeanette is on Question Time - BBC 1 tonight (20/Feb/14) again!
wadey likes this.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..