Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 23:04   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

Yes, only realised in four parts when it finished.

Did actually really enjoy it Tealeaf .. the acting is superb and many comic moments .. will look out for it next week. Was a repeat from 1990. Sorry, but don't mind paying my licence fee at all for this excellence. No .. not sorry at all .. was brilliant.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2010, 00:05   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Did actually really enjoy it Tealeaf .. the acting is superb and many comic moments .. will look out for it next week. Was a repeat from 1990. Sorry, but don't mind paying my licence fee at all for this excellence. No .. not sorry at all .. was brilliant.
Some of the acting was superb, though Melanie was a bit wet, and not just from having her velvet tipped.

Teabag just feels left out. As he would have benefited from being tied up for the weekend as a child, and exorcised by a load of religious nutters.

It would've been character building.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 19:34   #63
God Member

Quote:

Well, I suppose that for someone whose normal TV highlight of the week would be an hour in front of the QVC shopping channel, it would be brilliant.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:19   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Well, I suppose that for someone whose normal TV highlight of the week would be an hour in front of the QVC shopping channel, it would be brilliant.
Cheeky !

Anyway, I watch Corrie too so there !...
Old 11-03-2010, 07:28   #65
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Cheeky !

Anyway, I watch Corrie too so there !...
Young Jess, Emily Aston, is Chesney's real life sister.

Small world, Planet Ginger.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:35   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Young Jess, Emily Aston, is Chesney's real life sister.

Small world, Planet Ginger.

Wow .. you are such a fountain of knowledge Garinda .. Thought she was amazing ... the line when she told the ice cream man that the people next door were fornicating was one of the best delivered lines I had heard for a long time.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:41   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Wow .. you are such a fountain of knowledge Garinda .. Thought she was amazing ... the line when she told the ice cream man that the people next door were fornicating was one of the best delivered lines I had heard for a long time.
She was brilliant, as young Jess. The whole family of Aston kids are good actors.

Sad watching it now, knowing that actor Charlotte Coleman, who played older Jess, died such a tragic death.

As for cost, being one of the most successful programmes the B.B.C. produced in the eighties, as well as all the awards it received, it was sold all over the world, so paid for it's production costs many times over.

Old 16-03-2010, 08:26   #68
Senior Member+

She's going to be on BBC 1 Breakfast at some point tomorrow (Weds) morning!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 08:43   #69
Senior Member+

Saw her on the Beeb this morn..she was promoting the 25th Anniversary edition of the Oranges book!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 24-03-2010, 09:03   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:

I managed to catch Jeannette on the BBC news Am last week, just by accident really. How does she manage to remain so Jolly?

Saw last part of "Oranges..." last night and I wonder if it had stood the test of time? I enjoyed it the first time but perhaps that is the mystique of watching a story about someone who was a part of your childhood, regardless of however distant she was, but I always recall stories of "odd goings on" at the Church she attended i.e. faith healing, chanting and excorcisms lol - bit like the bogey man over the Coppice.

I couldn't help seeing that the charcter Jesse was just JW's alter ego.

Last edited by kestrelx; 24-03-2010 at 09:09.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 10:05   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I managed to catch Jeannette on the BBC news Am last week, just by accident really. How does she manage to remain so Jolly?
Is there a particular reason why she shouldn't be Jolly??

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 24-03-2010, 10:15   #72

"I couldn't help seeing that the charcter Jesse was just JW's alter ego."
I agree (having bought it on DVD) it's autobiographic
Here's a photo of the opening sequance
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossend...y/4119988972/]
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 10:48   #73
Give, give, give member

She, herself sees the book as fiction, based on autobiography, which seems to be backed up by the fact that it won the Whitbread Award for a First Novel in 1985.

From Jeanette Winterson's own website...

'Is it autobiographical?'

'Yes and no. All writers draw on their experience but experience isn't what makes a good book. As the stand-up comics say, 'It's the way you tell 'em'. Oranges is written in the first person, it's direct and uninhibited, but it isn't autobiography in the real sense. I have noticed that when women writers put themselves into their fiction, it's called autobiography. When men do it, such as Paul Auster or Milan Kundera it's called meta -fiction.'
Oranges are not the Only Fruit, Whitbread Award for best first fiction for the semi-autobiographical, religious excess and human obsession

Old 24-03-2010, 21:26   #74
God Member

Is Karen Buckley - with all her bible bashing and exocism's - actually Jeanette Winterston in disguise?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 21:32   #75
God Member

one of the church goers in the film (Mrs Green) is based on my friends late mother

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..