Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-05-2011, 08:19   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Joseph Briggs, of Milnshaw Lane, Accrington

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you saying! tee hee

It was 1933 when Joseph Briggs sent his cargo of Tiffany Glass back to England. He gave approx. 140 pieces to "the people of Accrington" and some to his family who were of course living still in the area. The family of course "went forth and multiplied", hence the "offspring" turning up with "family heirlooms".
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-12-2011, 23:40   #32
Junior Member+

Hi I have just signed up in the hope that someone could help me. My Great Grandmother was Susannah Briggs from Grindleton. Her father was William Briggs 1833- 1902 and his father was Richard Briggs. 1795 -1886. my mother who is from Accrington remembers Joseph and believed he was a relative. As yet I have not been able to establish a link other than the name. If anyone has any info I would be very pleased.
Does anyone remember my grandparents? They were Janey and Douglas Barlow. They had a shop that sold baths and toilets, he also worked at the Burco factory. Their house was right next to the hospital. I find the Barlow family difficult because there are so many of them!
carolanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:04   #33
Senior Member+

Hi, my first thought is "maybe not related" but to be honest dont really know without looking at the family tree I have somewhere in my home.
Do you know where the Barlow shop was. I am gonna take a guess and say was it on Abbey Street and was he once a Mayor of Accrington?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:24   #34
Senior Member+

Carolanne. I suggest that you join the Lancashire Family History Society, even if for one year only.That will get your name in the quarterly magazine, along with your family interests which will attract anyone else looking at Briggs to correspond with you. Get yopurself allocated to the Hyndburn branch which will further advertise your interest, thiough you might choose Ribble Valley instead. Also join the society's Yahoo forum. Posting your search on there will bring responses within an hour.You can visit the society's workroom/library in Oswaldtwistle every Saturday or Thursday afternoon and receive first-class help from experts. Find the society via it's website. Having Tiffany Briggs in your tree is a big help in searching and people's willingness to help.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 21:36   #35
Junior Member+

Hi
I don't know Accrington, but I did go there when I was a child.It was near a railway arch (like Corrie). James Barlow the 2nd Mayor was my GGG uncle. I think he part owned the Nori Brickworks and Moorfield pit. He was the son in law of Sir George McAlpine.
I suspect the Briggs link perhaps goes further back.
carolanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:56   #36
Senior Member+

There are few of Accrington's Men of Mark who stand taller than James Barlow who was 'ever kind to the poor'. I wouldn't say that he married for money, but certainly put his love where there was a bit. I think it likely that Barlow Street, off Blackburn Rd alongside Sacred Heart Church was named after him, though there have been other Barlows prominent in the town. He died aged 80 in 1897.
Old 27-06-2014, 18:31   #37

Joseph Briggs, of Milnshaw Lane, Accrington

My mums maiden name was Briggs her dad was called Arthur Briggs he used to have a barbers shop at the very bottom of Bold St he sadly passed away in the early forties so me and my siblings never got to meet him.
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:45   #38
Senior Member+

This thread was lying asleep for over two years before Marl's posting last week - WOW.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:01   #39

To orientate those interested, there were three Joseph Briggs

Grandfather
Joseph Briggs 1813-1846 Engraver (married Susan Earnshaw 1814-1890)

Father
Joseph Briggs 1842-1921 Hand Engraver (married Elizabeth Ashworth 1841-1912)

Son
Joseph Briggs 1873-1937 Connected with Louis Comfort in USA who produced Tiffany Glass (married Elizabeth Jenkins 1879-1959)
agiddyun likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:03   #40

The grave and final resting place for Joseph Briggs (1873-1937) can be seen here along with photos

Joseph Briggs (1873 - 1937) - Find A Grave Memorial
Old 01-08-2014, 06:31   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weary Tourist View Post
The grave and final resting place for Joseph Briggs (1873-1937) can be seen here along with photos

Joseph Briggs (1873 - 1937) - Find A Grave Memorial

Thanks for this - nobody stands higher on the podium of honour to Accrington that Joseph Briggs.
agiddyun likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:55   #42
Senior Member+

Joseph I was buried in Machpelah along Hyndburn Road and his remains are in Accy Cemetery. (his headstone was one of the ones removed to New Lane, Ossy). Joseph II is in Accy Cem, next to my own family vault. When he came over to visit in 1993 I took him to see if for the very first time in his life. Joseph III, as you say, is buried in America.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:13   #43

Hyndburn Council provide a good outline for Louis Comfort (Tiffany Glass) and Joseph Briggs. For those who wish to learn more.

The following links were valid at the time of this post.

1. Hyndburn Council - Main Site
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/

In case the links break, search for "Louis Comfort", or "Joseph Briggs". Should lead to links to Haworth Art Gallery Information sheets

2. Haworth Art Gallery Information sheet for Louis Comfort is here:-
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa..._Time_Line.pdf

3. Haworth Art Gallery Information sheet for Joseph Briggs is here:-
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...EPH_BRIGGS.pdf
Weary Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24   #44

In the Haworth Art Gallery Information sheet it records that Joseph Briggs (1842-1921) owned houses in Milnshaw Lane. Numbers 1,3,5 and 7.

It might be interesting to point out that there were no Briggs in Milnshaw Lane on the 1841 Census.

On the 1841 Census there is a Richard Ashworth (stone mason) born about 1808 Huncoat. Now I believe he dies about 1874. His daughter Elizabeth Ashworth (1841-1912) marries Joseph Briggs (1842-1921).

So you might speculate that the Briggs move into Milnshaw by marrying Richard Ashworth's daughter. Their first living son on 1871 census is Richard Ashworth Briggs.
Weary Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 16:35   #45
Senior Member+

I think you may find the Briggs family were in St James Street if I remember correctly in 1841 census

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..