Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2004, 22:33   #1
Senior Member+

Mr Johnny Nolan - "a man before his time" Died 1979

I just want to mention Mr Nolan again, just in case we have any "newbies" who never saw the original posting. I was lucky enough this weekend to actually see some of his marvellous carvings. They deserve to be seen by more people, perhaps at The Haworth Art Gallery. Would be nice if we could get permission from his rellies to exhibit them there, and acceptance from The Haworth to show them, eh?
Mr John (Johnny) Nolan was a market trader in Accrington for over thirty years (Accrington Market Hall) but was also a distinguished amateur sculptor and artist in wood. He was a student at the old Accrington School of Art and Crafts (the old Grammar school building, Blackburn Road, now of course demolished) where he excelled in drawing and painting. He pioneered a marquetry technique of his own design, which he jokingly called "Nolancraft". He created pictures by superimposing wood of different colours and textures on each other, to produce striking results! He first began "Nolancraft" using bits of chopped up pianos and furniture and relying only occasionally on timber merchants. One day he did a jigsaw puzzle vertically, instead of horizontally. One of his first major works was picture of Hereford Cathedral (see below) which took him almost 2 years to complete. To depict the Battle of Britain he did a lion with an eagle, which Mr Nolan always considered his best piece. As well as his marquetry, Mr Nolan worked on many busts of famous people including Winston Churchill (now in Baxenden Con. Club), John F Kennedy, Queen Elizabeth and Pope Paul (made of marble). These and some of his other works he displayed at his grocery stall in the front of Accrington Market (the one that is back to back with the sweets stall). He also painted in oils and In his late 80's completed a painting of his living room as well as a marble bust of himself. Mr. Lomax of the cooked meat stall in Accrington Market Hall has a self portrait which Mr Nolan once did of himself. In his younger days Mr Nolan was an enthusiastic flyer and in the mid 30's built himself a plane "The Flying Flea". (photo below, Mr Nolan is the one on the left). The photo was taken outside what is now Clark's Motorbike shop at the bottom of Whalley Road.
He was a member of the now demolished Sacred Heart Church.
Mr Nolan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mrnolanandherefordcathedral_resize.JPG (77.8 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Mrnolanandflyingflea_resize.JPG (78.2 KB, 159 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2004, 14:02   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Mr Johnny Nolan - "a man before his time" Died 1979

Oh my goodness I remember those wonderful carvings! I'd forgotten all about them until reading this. It would indeed be a great shame for others not to have the pleasure of seeing them.

Slightly off at a tangent - I know there are a lot of things in storage at Haworth Art Gallery which may never again see the light of day. It's such a shame. I know it was a pie in the sky idea but wouldn't it be wonderful to have somewhere in town where these and other items could be on permanent display for the people of hyndburn and visitora alike to see and yet the original owners (such as the Nolan family) still have some say in things if they so wished. Speaking from personal experience there is/was or should be an African tribal mask somewhere in the depths of HAG which belonged to my Grandmother. It would be nice just to be able to see that again.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:25   #3

I'm a bit late on this one, but I think your idea of exhibiting Johnny's stuff is a good one. Perhaps somewhere in the Market Hall, where Johnny worked for years. The one you've posted Atarah of Hereford Cathederal is a cracker and deserves to see the light of day - permanently.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 23:59   #4
Junior Member+

Hi I am Jonny Nolans Great Great Niece me and my dad where only talking the other week about asking the art gallery to display some of his stuff my dad and uncle own quite a collection about his stuff my uncle has some banjos he made and a runner plus various other stuff my dad has a painting of a lion the lion carving and the hereford cathedral firescreen now that i have seen people are interested i will try and arrange something with my dad.
loubielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 13:17   #5
Resident Waffler

That's great news that you've got those things loubielou. It would be wonderful if the art gallery would do that. You must come back and let us know.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 16:32   #6
Senior Member+

Haworth Art Gallery - there is a strong possiblity that an exhibition of Mr Nolans work (thanks to his relatives) may now take place this April at the gallery.

Will keep you informed.
Old 23-02-2005, 16:54   #7
Senior Member+

Johnny Nolan exhibiyion

Loubieloo, would you please contact me re exhibition

thanks

Atarah
Old 12-03-2005, 18:52   #8
Senior Member+

"DAYS OF OUR LIVES"

Hi, has anyone heard of, or .. better still.... GOT a copy of an old film (may have possibly been shown at the old Odeon) called DAYS OF OUR LIVES, it actually shows Mr Nolan at work in his workroom.
Old 22-03-2005, 15:07   #9
Junior Member+

Just to let anyone who is interested know that there is going to be an exhibition of Johnny Nolans work at Haworth Art Gallery from 1st April until the 1st of May.
loubielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2005, 17:52   #10

Went to Haworth Art Gallery last Friday with a class of 9 and 10 year olds. Brilliant exhibition that included Johnny Nolan and Tom Sissons work. Kids loved it, we spent a couple of hours there and i'm sure they would have stopped a lot longer if allowed.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 17:27   #11
Senior Member+

Thats really nice to know. I am pleased you enjoyed it. His family were pleased the exhibition took place.
Old 24-11-2007, 03:01   #12
Junior Member+

Which stall did he have in the Marlet Hall?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 13:26   #13
Senior Member+

Reviving an old thread:

Hi, has anyone heard of, or .. better still.... GOT a copy of an old film (may have possibly been shown at the old Odeon) called DAYS OF OUR LIVES, it actually shows Mr Nolan at work in his workroom.

Thanks

Although I am about to find the correct thread to post this on, I was extremely sad to day to find out that NOLAN's in Accrington market hall has INDEED CLOSED for EVER, it closed only yesterday Nov 1st 2011, and I never even knew it was going! What a flippin shame!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..