Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 16:04   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Noted living Accringtonians.

Revd Neville Barker Cryer MA (Oxon) CCTH (Cantab). Born Accrington, 1919.

Past Grand Chaplain UGLE; Prestonian Lecturer (1974); Batham Lecturer (1996/8). The Revd Neville Barker Cryer is a well-known Masonic author and international lecturer. He is a member of the oldest Lodge in York and a Past Master and Secretary of Lodge Quatuor Coronati, and thus has had every incentive and opportunity to learn about the distinctive contribution York Masonry has made in building the Craft and English Freemasonry. Neville Cryer is also a senior member of the SRIA, The Royal Order, the Operatives and the Order of Eri. His books include: The Arch & the Rainbow, Masonic Halls of England & Wales, I Just Didn’t Know That, and his most recent — Cornwallis – the Family History, and York Mysteries Revealed.
Lectures | Canonbury Masonic Research Centre

Books published.
Booktopia Search Results for 'Neville Cryer'. We sell books, hardback, paperback, audio, CDs.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2010, 08:40   #17
Give, give, give member

David Swann, writer.

'David Swann was born four doors up the street from the novelist Jeanette Winterson, who was fond of scaring him stiff with spooky stories.'
David Swann

The BRIDPORT PRIZE - Short story and poetry competition

Elastic Press - Publishing at the edges of reality and fantasy

Old 03-02-2010, 09:25   #18
Give, give, give member

Steven Waling. Poet, born Accrington, 1958.

'An internationally-published poet, reviewer and experienced tutor of creative writing, including and innovative African writer-mentoring programme (Crossing Borders). I was born in Accrington in 1958 and now live in Manchester.'
TIME TO READ

Poetry

Steven Waling

The Coppice, and The Local, which feature Accrington.
Steven Waling poems, Blackbox Manifold 3

BrandosHat

Old 03-02-2010, 09:40   #19
Super Moderator

David A. Riley, horror story author

Riley Books - science fiction fantasy horror
Old 03-02-2010, 10:47   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
David A. Riley, horror story author

Riley Books - science fiction fantasy horror
I wonder if this stuff is as frightening as the stuff he used to write in the local press in the seventies, on behalf of the N.F.?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:48   #21
Give, give, give member

(Laughin') Larry Larkin, comedian, born Oswaldtwistle (19-?)

Came to prominence in late seventies, winning television talent show (New Faces?)

Glenn Simoneaux Entertainment, Inc.

Anyone remember comedian Laughin' Larry? - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Old 05-02-2010, 01:06   #22
Give, give, give member

Garth Dawson, studio/press photographer. Born 1924.

Attended Paddock House Grammar school until the age of Eight, then to St Pauls School. Oswaldtwistle until my father thought that the Accrington Grammar school would give me a good education...

Left the Grammar With only a pass in Art and geography and obtained a job Working for the London Midland & Scottish Railway as a Telegraph linesman (Telephones and electric signalling Equipment) which was just at that time was being introduced.

In 1942 volunteered for RAF aircrew until 1946 as(Wireless/Operator) Air gunner, ended the war in Coastal Command flying in Vickers Wellington's based at Barrow in Furness.

After the war I returned to the railway but I was not very happy, so in 1948 I resigned and commenced work with my father who had a Shoe Retail and Repair business in Union Road, Oswaldtwistle, just below The Palladium cinema.

My father was also interested in photography and encouraged me to pursue it as a hobby ...Eventually I took it from being just a hobby and opened a photographic studio in Union Road, Oswaldtwistle on the same row as St Pauls school in 1949.
Accrington photographs

Garth Dawson Studio

(Strangely my mother was telling me only the other day, about his first studio being in Oswaldtwistle, and how she remembered going there to have photographs taken as a small child.)

Old 05-02-2010, 01:22   #23
Give, give, give member

Michael 'Mike' Duxbury. Professional footballer. Born Accrington, 1959.

Mike Duxbury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

THE WEBSITE OF DREAMS

englandstats.com | Player Report | Michael Duxbury

TheFA.com - Archive - Michael Duxbury

Old 05-02-2010, 01:38   #24
Give, give, give member

Mike Pickering. Haçienda/Factory Records DJ, member of pop group M People. Born Accrington 1958.

M People - Biography

Mike Pickering DJ, Producer, Remixer - House, Acid House

Mike Pickering | DJHistory.com

Old 01-03-2010, 01:59   #25
Give, give, give member

Prof. Bill Clegg, born 1949 Great Harwood.

Professor William Clegg, born 8 March 1949, Great Harwood, Lancashire, UK. One of the most prolific of authors with more than 600 academic papers in the area of crystallography under his belt, before the age of 50. Interested in many aspects of crystallography and structural chemistry, including the development of X-ray data collection methods, use of synchrotron radiation, applications in supramolecular chemistry as well as wide ranges of organic, inorganic, and organometallic chemistry.

What was your chemistry teacher at school like?
A large, rather overweight Welshman (no national prejudice intended!) with a pronounced facial tic, which led to his nickname of Winky Barrel.
Getting Personal - Bill Clegg

W. Clegg home page

Professor Bill Clegg

Old 21-05-2010, 07:07   #26
Give, give, give member

Geoffrey Pearson. Criminologist, and member of the Welsh Assembly.

I was born in Manchester during the war, brought up on a council estate, and educated at Accrington Grammar School and Peterhouse,Cambridge where I studied Moral Sciences (philosophy and psychology).
Welsh Assembly Government | Members

His book Hooligan was voted one of the seven iconic studies in British criminologay.
Hooligan: A History of Respectable Fears, Geoffrey Pearson, Basingstoke, MacMillan, 1983 -- Berry 38 (4): 830 -- British Journal of Social Work

In the 1976 book Working class youth culture, he returned to the town where he was brought up, and used Accrington as a case study to look at '****-bashing'.
Working class youth culture - Google Books

Old 24-06-2010, 23:37   #27
Give, give, give member

Jonathan Slinger - Actor.

Born Accrington 1972.

Jonathan Slinger

The RSC should celebrate its new star

When an actor explodes into stardom the way Jonathan Slinger has, it seems churlish not to allow his audience to thank him properly.
The RSC should celebrate its new star | Stage | guardian.co.uk

http://www.qegs.blackburn.sch.uk/for...tem.php?id=291

Jonathan Slinger, one of the new stars of the RSC, has just added Richard II to his acclaimed performance as Richard III. Terry Grimley went to meet him.

Probably still best known to the outside world as the only town with a football club named Stanley, Accrington now has another claim to distinction.

It's the birthplace of Jonathan Slinger, a rising star in the Royal Shakespeare Company who is proving a key performer in Michael Boyd's epic staging of the complete history plays. After giving us a mesmerising Richard III earlier this year he has gone back four reigns (but forward in the chronology of Shakespeare's plays) to play his very different namesake, Richard II.
http://www.birminghampost.net/life-l...name_page.html

Last edited by garinda; 24-06-2010 at 23:39.
Old 24-06-2010, 23:52   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Jonathan Slinger - Actor.

Born Accrington 1972.

Jonathan Slinger

The RSC should celebrate its new star

When an actor explodes into stardom the way Jonathan Slinger has, it seems churlish not to allow his audience to thank him properly.
The RSC should celebrate its new star | Stage | guardian.co.uk

Queen Elizabeth's Grammar Independent School, Blackburn, Lancashire, UK | QEGS - News of former pupils

Jonathan Slinger, one of the new stars of the RSC, has just added Richard II to his acclaimed performance as Richard III. Terry Grimley went to meet him.

Probably still best known to the outside world as the only town with a football club named Stanley, Accrington now has another claim to distinction.

It's the birthplace of Jonathan Slinger, a rising star in the Royal Shakespeare Company who is proving a key performer in Michael Boyd's epic staging of the complete history plays. After giving us a mesmerising Richard III earlier this year he has gone back four reigns (but forward in the chronology of Shakespeare's plays) to play his very different namesake, Richard II.
Birmingham Post - Life & Leisure - Birmingham Culture - Divine challenge of the second Richard
Three fine actors in succession (Ron Cook, Jonathan Slinger, and Ian McKellen) performing Shakespeare's "Now is the winter of our discontent" -- opening soliloquy from "Richard III".

(Jonathan Slinger's 3 minutes into the clip.)

Old 27-06-2010, 07:29   #29

Graham Walne - ex-manager at the London Palladium. Now living in Australia. World renowned expert on theatre lighting & sound systems. Writer and lecturer.

Graham Walne — International Theatre Consultant
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 08:57   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
Graham Walne - ex-manager at the London Palladium. Now living in Australia. World renowned expert on theatre lighting & sound systems. Writer and lecturer.

Graham Walne — International Theatre Consultant
would that be the guy who was brought up bottom end burnley rd accy? his dad had n engravers shop? always wondered what became of him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..