Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 08:15   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Noted living Accringtonians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonheath View Post
While I was looking at this man's website after having seen some of his fantastic pictures, found in his Bio that he was born in Accrington. A fantastic artist whose paintings are like photos.

Wildlife Artist Dr. Jeremy Paul - Wildlife Art, Paintings, Art Prints
Great stuff he paints. I have emailed him and klerarned that he was born 1954, attended Peel Park & QUEGS, He lives in the isle of Man. He reminded me that there are two other noted wildlife painters from Accrington - Michael Demaine and Stephen Townsend.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2011, 08:51   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Great stuff he paints. I have emailed him and klerarned that he was born 1954, attended Peel Park & QUEGS, He lives in the isle of Man. He reminded me that there are two other noted wildlife painters from Accrington - Michael Demaine and Stephen Townsend.
Michael Demaine, went to the Holy Family the same time as me Bob
Old 08-11-2011, 13:39   #78
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Freda Lightfoot -romantic novelist, has written over 30 best-sellers. I believe she was originally from Oswaldtwistle -she certainly lived there in her youth as my mother used to go to Sunday School with her.
She and my mother have been in touch via e-mail over the last year -she now lives for most of the year in Spain.

Glad to hear someone thought to mention Freda Lightfoot. Yes she lived in Oswaldtwistle. She & I are cousins, our dads being the Kershaw brothers, shoe shop & Hairdressers, only a few doors away from each other.
Cybernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 13:42   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernan View Post
Glad to hear someone thought to mention Freda Lightfoot. Yes she lived in Oswaldtwistle. She & I are cousins, our dads being the Kershaw brothers, shoe shop & Hairdressers, only a few doors away from each other.
If you put her name in the search field at the top of the page you'll see she's been mentioned on many different threads...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 17:25   #80
Give, give, give member

Mina Anwar (born 20 September 1969 in Church, near Accrington, Lancashire, England) is a British actress.

Anwar was educated at Accrington Moorhead Sports College, and gained an A level in Theatre in Performance at the Accrington and Rossendale College in 1988 before training at the Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts in London.

Mina Anwar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMDb - Mina Anwar

BBC - TV to Go - Ask Mina Anwar

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 17:44   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernan View Post
The Kershaw brothers Benny and Jim, Jims Daughter is a member on here although I haven't seen her on for a while
Old 08-11-2011, 18:13   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I bring to notice Gordon Birtwistle, MP for Burnley (LibDem) who attended Hyndburn Park School 1954-58. Before becoming MP he was a recent Mayor of Burnley.
Gordon Birtwistle (b. Oswaldtwistle, 6 September 1943)

Gordon started as a craft engineering apprentice in 1958 with Howard & Bullough who were textile machinery manufacturers in Accrington. He studied engineering at Accrington College on one day release and two nights a week and achieved two higher nationals, one in mechanical engineering and one in production engineering.
At the age of 21 Gordon became a jig and tool draftsman with the same company and stayed there until 1968 when he went to work for Lucas Aerospace in Burnley as a machine shop methods engineer.
Gordon Birtwistle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prior to entering Parliament he had been Burnley Council leader since 2006, having been a local councillor since 1982. He originally entered politics as a Labour councillor in the 1970s. Outside of politics he was previously the owner of Oswaldtwistle based Stuart Engineering, which collapsed in 2002.
Gordon Birtwistle - eNotes.com Reference

Old 08-11-2011, 18:51   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Gordon Birtwistle (b. Oswaldtwistle, 6 September 1943)

Gordon started as a craft engineering apprentice in 1958 with Howard & Bullough who were textile machinery manufacturers in Accrington. He studied engineering at Accrington College on one day release and two nights a week and achieved two higher nationals, one in mechanical engineering and one in production engineering.
At the age of 21 Gordon became a jig and tool draftsman with the same company and stayed there until 1968 when he went to work for Lucas Aerospace in Burnley as a machine shop methods engineer.
Gordon Birtwistle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prior to entering Parliament he had been Burnley Council leader since 2006, having been a local councillor since 1982. He originally entered politics as a Labour councillor in the 1970s. Outside of politics he was previously the owner of Oswaldtwistle based Stuart Engineering, which collapsed in 2002.
Gordon Birtwistle - eNotes.com Reference
I knew Gordon quite well, never knew he was a labour councillor though know he was a labour party member, remember talking to him at the 1964 general election count, he lived in Ossy at the time, I know he defected to the SDP with the gang of 4 in 82 and was a councillor in Burnley for many years and was Leader and Mayor, before becoming MP
Old 08-11-2011, 19:07   #84
Give, give, give member

Mick O'Shea - Author, born Accrington.

Mick O'Shea is 42 years old. he lives with his wife Jakki, in his home town of Accrington, Lancashire, and works in the new Business Department at Compass Finance PLC. The 'semi-fictional' Only Anarchist Are Pretty was Mick's attempt at novel writing (the manuscript's first draft was completed in spring 2000), but it was a fantasy-adventure featuring his two cats, Oscar and 'Big' Sid, that produced his first published novel The Zootopia Tree (2002). He still enjoys listening to the Sex Pistols and honestly rates Never Mind The Bollocks as the best album of all time. His other musical tastes are pretty much 'old school' as well, in that his other favourite bands are The Clash, Stiff little Fingers, The Ramones & Guns 'N' Roses.
Mick's other passion is military history, especially the Battle of the Little Bighorn of 1876, and he has recently completed a manuscript based on the legendary battle and the life of its most celebrated participant General George A. Custer.
ONLY ANARCHISTS ARE PRETTY: A Novel: The Early Days of the Sex Pistols | Because wanting more is not enough.

Mick O'Shea was born and raised in Accrington, Lancashire, before making the move south in 2008, and is currently living in Surrey with his girlfriend Tasha and step-daughter Shannon Rose.He spent ten years working in finance before finally making the switch from numbers to letters, and aside from writing articles for magazines such as Amped, Wired and Record Collector, has four books published to date.
Authors Published by Pegasus Elliot Mackenzie Publishers Ltd.

Mick O'Shea: books by Mick O'Shea @ BookFinder.com

A novel look at Sex Pistols? early days | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Old 16-12-2011, 15:51   #85
God Member

D I Andrea Bradbury - from Clayton-le moors, studied at St.Mary's RC school Clayton, Paddock House in Oswaldtwistle and then Liverpool University, where she gained a degree in Physics before joining the police force as a beat officer. She is a very active campaigner for MacMillan Cancer support as well as being a mother of two. The award in the link to the LET is the second she has won this year, the other was as outstanding female police officer at National level.

Blackburn counter-terrorism officer celebrates 25 years? service (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Local girl who has been working tirelessly for the community of East Lancs for 25 years.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 16-12-2011 at 15:55.
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 08:35   #86
Senior Member+

Vicky Entwistle is on the Wright Stuff (Channel 5) this morning if anyone wants to hear what she's got to say!?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 23:19   #87
Resting In Peace

Hyndburn talent continues to shine...

BBC News - Sir Harrison Birtwistle wins fourth Composer Award
Old 04-12-2012, 07:23   #88
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
On the corridors of the Royal Albert Hall when I visited last year were three portraits of noted British comnposers - Purcell, Britten and 'Harry' Birtwistle, who attended St John's. He was born in Acc in 1934.He attended senior schools ( Northern Music College & another) in Manchester but played clarinet in Accrington orchestras.To my ear is music isn't musical.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 06:59   #89

Been through the thread and I have may have missed them but the obvious ones to me are :-

Jon Anderson (Yes frontman Jon and Vangelis etc)

David Lloyd (Lancs, England, England coach, Sky commentator)
Graham Lloyd (Lancs, England One Day)
Jack Simmons (Lancs, Lancs Chairman, one of Wisden 5 world cricketers of the year)
widnes viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 07:02   #90

Graham Fowler (Lancs, England, occasional pundit)

Keith Barker (Current 1st choice Warwickshire player - reigning Co Champs)

Oh and Mystic Meg apparently!

Last edited by widnes viking; 25-12-2012 at 07:11.
widnes viking is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..