Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2013, 18:38   #106
Resting In Peace

Re: Obituaries of noted Accringtonians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corker01 View Post
garinda .... do you have any info on a Major Milliam Nutter JP who lived at Rough Lee House until his death in 1990.
You say in your post on the Laneside thread that the land was bought by William Nutter around 1900 and here you say a William Nutter died in 1990. Are they one and the same?
Old 14-02-2013, 19:54   #107
I am Banned

garinda .... do you have any info on a Major Milliam Nutter JP who lived at Rough Lee House until his death in 1990.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
You say in your post on the Laneside thread that the land was bought by William Nutter around 1900 and here you say a William Nutter died in 1990. Are they one and the same?
None of this can be right, Rough Lee House became Rough Lee maternity hospital, and was originally owned by Major Slinger. There are threads and pictures on the subject of Rough Lee.

If William Nutter bought the land around 1900 he would have been well ove 110 in 1990
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 21:21   #108
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

None of this can be right, Rough Lee House became Rough Lee maternity hospital, and was originally owned by Major Slinger. There are threads and pictures on the subject of Rough Lee.

If William Nutter bought the land around 1900 he would have been well ove 110 in 1990
The maternity home opened in 1927

Lancashire Lantern | Word Search | Item

You might find these interesting regarding the Slingers/Nutters

1881 Look Up - Address but no name - Accrington , Lancs [Archive] - UKGEN - Genealogical Forums

Can anyone find this marriage? [Archive] - Family Tree Forum

Missing in 1881 & 1891 Elizabeth Alice Slinger (Nutter) Family History Local History

Military History - Royal Irish Fusiliers Family History Local History
Old 15-02-2013, 06:00   #109
Senior Member+

The best I can do is- William Nutter married Elizabeth Alice Slinger June 1-1882 at the District Rectory of All Souls Langham, Marlybone, Middlesex. The marriage certificate has no info other than their names. Fathers are just x as is all other info.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 08:30   #110
Senior Member+

The book 'Men of Mark' shows Major (no first name) dying 11.12.1900 aged 57. I have no time just now to further research/ There was a Laneside street intended to be called Slinger R%d which had its name changed. I will post on the Street Names thread when I've learned more.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 15:15   #111
Senior Member+

That's correct Bob, he died in or near Fleetwood.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 15:57   #112

This is the newspaper cutting from December 1900.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg major.jpg (74.3 KB, 43 views)
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 18:58   #113
Senior Member+

There's a Nutter Rd and a Slinger Rd in Cleveleys - alongside each other near the bus station/police station. Richard Ainsworth, prominent Accrington historian, also lived in Cleveleys - Ellerbeck Rd I think, which is linked to the other two names , as the Nutters lived at a house called Ellerbeck and our Ellerbeck rd is on 'their' land.
Old 15-02-2013, 18:59   #114
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
This is the newspaper cutting from December 1900.
Which newspaper is this from. I was not aware that local papers outside the 19th century could be accessed on oline
Old 11-12-2013, 14:47   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Law, Miss A., F.R.S.L., The Old Parsonage, Altham, Accrington

Cambridge Journals Online - Fulltext

Can't find anything about this woman...yet, other than she was listed as a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society.

Did find this, which relates to Altham.

In 1926 Chopin's Tempo Rubato was published by a firm called The Old Parsonage Press, Altham, Accrington.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
Was doing some browsing and stumbled upon this lady recently. Alice Law was certainly an author, and from what I've seen I'm getting the impression she was also a small scale publisher later on in life. Have found reference to at least five books in her name (mainly poetry, some biographical - all early 20thC), as well as a reference to her going to college in Cambridge. Will post more info if I find it.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 20:26   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
There's a Nutter Rd and a Slinger Rd in Cleveleys - alongside each other near the bus station/police station. Richard Ainsworth, prominent Accrington historian, also lived in Cleveleys - Ellerbeck Rd I think, which is linked to the other two names , as the Nutters lived at a house called Ellerbeck and our Ellerbeck rd is on 'their' land.
Is there not a character in "Lancashire Witches" ... Alice Nutter of Roughlee Hall?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 20:28   #117
Beacon of light

Yes Eric, there is...and Rough Lee is a district of Pendle.....a little village.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 23:16   #118
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes Eric, there is...and Rough Lee is a district of Pendle.....a little village.
Just love it when my memory works and I don't have to rely on google
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 11:42   #119
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Is there not a character in "Lancashire Witches" ... Alice Nutter of Roughlee Hall?
Yes and there is only one Rough Lee Rd, in England.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..