Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2009, 17:04   #1
Senior Member+

Philip Coo ; Accrington Grammar School

I have learned that at the trial of Milosovan Siloboditch (?( in 2002 (?) a Canadian defence /intelligence expert called Philp Coo gave evidence. I think this he is the same lad who was at accrington Grammar School in the fifties. Anyone able to confirm this? I have an address for him in Calgary, but he has not responded to letters. There are some Coos in Accrington ( no - not the pigeons) and they may be related to Philip.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-06-2009, 17:15   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Philip Coo ; Accrington Grammar School

i know 3 of same family from accy bob, one he lives away now, another i see more of her when were in spain though she lives local, out of accy though, the other lad i see occasionally, will ask him if i remember, as am away next week. don't know phillip, but could be related.
Old 21-06-2009, 20:39   #3
Senior Member+

I know an Alan Coo, used to be a postie in Accy.
Old 21-06-2009, 20:44   #4
Senior Member+

I have spoken to an Alan Coo, 70yrs. He is Philip's cousion, but has not had contact since they were youngsters. Alan's father was brother to Philip's. They had 8 brothers and sisters.
Old 21-06-2009, 21:21   #5
God Member

Is there not a Coo family living on Sultan Street? They may have moved but were living there not to long ago.
Old 21-06-2009, 21:25   #6
Senior Member+

Yes there is. I am working my way through the Coos in the phone book.
Old 21-06-2009, 22:40   #7

Former Canadian intelligence officer Phillip Coo was the prosecution's 124th and final witness during this first phase of its case against Slobodan Milosevic, the Kosovo case. A military expert, Phillip Coo testified that Mr. Milosevic, as Yugoslavia's president, was at the head of a well-functioning chain of command and that he was ultimately responsible for the country's military and police during their 1998 and '99 crackdown on Kosovo's ethnic Albanians. "
Philip Coo, Senior Investigator at the ICTY.
The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) is a United Nations court of law dealing with war crimes that took place during the conflicts in the Balkans in the 1990’s.

Any help ?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 23:14   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have learned that at the trial of Milosovan Siloboditch (?( in 2002 (?) a Canadian defence /intelligence expert called Philp Coo gave evidence. I think this he is the same lad who was at accrington Grammar School in the fifties. Anyone able to confirm this? I have an address for him in Calgary, but he has not responded to letters. There are some Coos in Accrington ( no - not the pigeons) and they may be related to Philip.
There was a George Victor COO in WWI
C/Smj 1361 Royal Field Artillery
Transferred as WO2. 425543, to Chinese Labour Corps.
Lived in Oswaldtwistle.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 07:47   #9
Senior Member+

Philip Coo's father was Victor, so presumably, the chap you have found would be Philip's grandfather. His experience with the Chinese Labour Corps may have been useful in building up his energies, as he sired 9 children ( at least)
Old 22-06-2009, 12:50   #10
Senior Member+

I think it must have been latter 50s - I don't remember him at all
Old 22-06-2009, 13:01   #11
Senior Member+

He was two years below you - you were more interested in High School and Hyndburn Park girls than lads in lower forms.

I am hopeful of finding him. Ten years ago, pre-Accyweb the only avenue of publicity for me would have been the Observer.
Old 22-06-2009, 13:03   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
He was two years below you - you were more interested in High School and Hyndburn Park girls than lads in lower forms.

I am hopeful of finding him. Ten years ago, pre-Accyweb the only avenue of publicity for me would have been the Observer.
Were you spying on me all those years ago - you got both schools right :-))
Old 22-06-2009, 18:28   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes there is. I am working my way through the Coos in the phone book.
I have it on good authority that we have a Sue Coo living on Sultan St, she used to be lollipop lady for Peel Park.
Old 24-12-2009, 13:00   #14
Junior Member+

Hiya,

Just stumbled across this thread looking for something else. I know it's a bit old now!

Alan Coo (the postie) is my dad (and Alan Coo, not a postie, is me), so I can relay messages to / from him if needs be.
UKCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 14:01   #15
Senior Member+

Thanks for your COOperation Alan. I have been in touch with Philip in Calgary(?) but he does not reply speedily to my messages. If you would like me to forward something, send me a PM with your contact details.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..