Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2011, 13:21   #1
Resting in Peace

Professor John Wallwork

The Pioneering Heart Transplant Surgeon, Professor John Wallwork is set to retire, John grew up in Ossy and lived in fielding lane Ossy in his early years Educated at Accrington Grammar School, before studying medicine, first at Edinburgh then at Stamford University In the California with Professor Norman Shumway known as the father of heart transplants.

He carried out the first successful Heart and Lung Transplant in Europe in 1984 at the Papworth Hospital in Cambridge , and the first Heart, Lung and liver transplant in the world in 1986.

In his Ossy days John was a good friend of mine and we frequented establishments such as Mount Pleasant Youth Club The Jazz Club at Peel Park and Accy Con. one of life's good guys and another of our locals who went on to great things and he actually made a difference to thousands of peoples lives
Old 16-07-2011, 14:11   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Professor John Wallwork

He deserves a long and happy retirement.
He has made a difference to the lives of others.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 14:19   #3
God Member

Just on a minor technical point, Jaysay, I would have thought the father of heart transplants was Christian Bernard.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 14:40   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Just on a minor technical point, Jaysay, I would have thought the father of heart transplants was Christian Bernard.
Barnard was the first to carry out a heart transplant, but Prof Wallwork took the procedure to new heights Tealeaf. I steam to remember one of his success stories was, the former Landlord of the White Bull in New Lane Ossy, I can only remember he was called John, but he had very serious heart problems in the early 80s and received a new heart at Papworth, which gave him and extra 10 years of life, just 1 of 3000 operations carried out by Professor Wallwork in a distinguished career
Old 16-07-2011, 15:08   #5
God Member

Yeah...but I wasn't referring to Professor Wallwork...I was referring to messrs Shumway/Bernard and in the context of medical science. Bernard was the first one to pull off the stunt, and although his patient didn't last long thereafter, I think it is Bernard who claims the title of 'Father of Heart Transplants'.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 15:42   #6

I think if you'd had a heart transplant you would regard it a little more seriously than "a stunt"! - and it't Barnard, not Bernard.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 16:30   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Yeah...but I wasn't referring to Professor Wallwork...I was referring to messrs Shumway/Bernard and in the context of medical science. Bernard was the first one to pull off the stunt, and although his patient didn't last long thereafter, I think it is Bernard who claims the title of 'Father of Heart Transplants'.
Tealeaf being pedantic as usual
Old 18-07-2011, 08:25   #8
Super Moderator

Jay, were his parents regulars in the Stop & Rest? I seem to recall that my old fella was quite friendly with them.
Old 18-07-2011, 08:43   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Jay, were his parents regulars in the Stop & Rest? I seem to recall that my old fella was quite friendly with them.
I wouldn't say they were regulars Wyn, but they did pop in occasionally his dad was called Tom, big tally guy with glasses he also had a brother called Martin can't remember his mother name, but I would have though your dad would have known them because they always stood at the bar if they were in there
Old 18-07-2011, 09:20   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I wouldn't say they were regulars Wyn, but they did pop in occasionally his dad was called Tom, big tally guy with glasses he also had a brother called Martin can't remember his mother name, but I would have though your dad would have known them because they always stood at the bar if they were in there
Thought so, cheers Jay. I've also just remembered that his mum taught me English at AGS.
Old 18-07-2011, 09:48   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Thought so, cheers Jay. I've also just remembered that his mum taught me English at AGS.
Thats right she was a teacher at Accy Grammar, I'd forgot that
Old 21-07-2011, 19:14   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thats right she was a teacher at Accy Grammar, I'd forgot that
I think she might have been a year or so before my time. I remember meeting her briefly when I was over that side of the pond in '70. I remember John. He was in my year at Accy Grammar.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 17:23   #13

Heard him on Radio 4 the other morning. Very interesting. Have to say my wife didn't seem too impressed when I said that his mother taught me English.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 17:55   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall View Post
Heard him on Radio 4 the other morning. Very interesting. Have to say my wife didn't seem too impressed when I said that his mother taught me English.
Hell I missed that LinC, I would have thought he had retired from surgery now, he's 65 or 66 I know the last time I heard of him he was working on trying to use animal organs for human transplant, they were breading a special breed of pigs, but haven't heard anything about him for a while now
Old 16-12-2011, 19:55   #15
Senior Member+

It's high time I was trying AGAIN to make contact with him, now knowing that his mother, who might still be alive, was a teacher at AGS
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..