Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2004, 13:49   #1

Richard Ainsworth

Joseph Briggs of Tiffany Glass fame is famous for his bits of coloured glass.
Don't get me wrong, the stained glass windows are truly awe inspiring, and are more like paintings than your normal stained glass windows.

However for me, the person who has been missing from this Hall of Fame (up until now) has to be Richard Ainsworth.

He wrote weekly articles in the Accrington Observer, which then led to the publications of the following books.

History and Associations of Altham and Huncoat
The Old Homesteads of Accrington & District, etc,
The Lingards of Huncoat

Ok, so there are some other sources for local and family historians, but for me it's just the fact that he bothered to record what was going on at a particular moment in time, which is incedibly valuable to those interested in the area. A bit like this forum eh ?
Except what happens to the information within these postings in the long term...mmmm

So the coloured glass is pretty, but hats of to Richard Ainsworth who has told me more about this area.
Old 11-06-2004, 15:26   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Richard Ainsworth

I have to agree with you about the wonderful knowledge Richard Ainsworth left behind. I use his books very often for references. Many of these have just been up for sale on Ebay in the last week, but they were all going for £130 each. Also I must mention Henry Parkinson,the Accrington Friend and Wellwisher, who was responsible for local knowledge and brilliant photographs from his time c.1928
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 20:32   #3
I am Banned

Richard Ainsworth
Could have been a Modern Baron Munchausen, for those who don't know of Munchausen he was called known as the World Greatest Liar.

There are more holes in the old Homesteads then a Coulander, for example reads his diatribe about Magpie Hall, sometimes called Hag Pie or Fig Pie Hall.

He starts of by saying he had never heard of it till he met an old resident. He then goes on about it being knocked down to make way for the New Road through Accrington. The New Road was built 1790/92, Ainsworth wrote his rubbish in 1928, thats some old resident all of 126 years between the dates.

he gives the site of where it stood, first he says Lane Ends, then he says the
Alma Inn, they are over 500 yards apart.

Now for some facts
(1) there were no buildings in those area's to be demolished when the road was built
(2) Mag Pie Hall was still at Lane Ends in 1841/51/61/71 & 81 census records.

Remember one thing Ainsworth was a newspaper reporter. They have a maxim why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Since Ainsworth wrote that book & the articles in the Observer, no one has been able to find his sources or references. Neither the census returns or any parish registers or church records support any of Ainsworths rubbish.

Walter

Richard Ainsworth.

He wrote weekly articles in the Accrington Observer, which then led to the publications of the following books.

The Lingards of Huncoat

Ok, so there are some other sources for local and family historians, but for me it's just the fact that he bothered to record what was going on at a particular moment in time, which is incedibly valuable to those interested in the area. A bit like this forum eh ?
Except what happens to the information within these postings in the long term...mmmm

So the coloured glass is pretty, but hats of to Richard Ainsworth who has told me more about this area.[/QUOTE]
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 05:06   #4

Walter,

Very sceptical, but with some justification. It's getting increasingly difficult to accept the written word without some form of back-up and investigation. Lying is not a new invention as some politicians would have us believe.

Nice to know that some of us would "Never assume...But check first". Good one Walter.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 18:12   #5

Dear All

This is my very first post on this great forum and this is the first page i come to and you mention Richard Ainsworth who i think was great. I am related to the Accrington Friend and well wisher- Henry Parkinson, and without the Book The parkinsons of Lancashire book that i have i would not be able to trace some roots of my family history. I have researched the majority of this book and have double checked his entries and have found them to be most accurated, i hope people of my generation will do what these men did and keep the local history alive and kicking for us all to enjoy, im only 30 and hopefully i will be able to do an updated version of Ainsworths book eventually.

I was also wondering if by chance anyone out there had any information on the Lightbound family from Accrington, i cannot find very much before the 1870,s or if anyone that still exists in Accrington with this name, any help wuold be greatly appreciated.

Rachel
rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 22:58   #6
Senior Member+

Parkinsons

Hi Rachel, one of my ancestors Henry Pilkington, married a Parkinson. The two family gravestones in Accrington cemetery are very similar, both like a Cleopatra's needle shape
Maybe we are a little connected? Henry Parkinson had a niece who lived in Holland. Ring any bells?

Last edited by Atarah; 02-09-2004 at 22:59.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 23:29   #7
I am Banned

We have already ahd a thread about Ainsworth. He was a reporter for Accy observer.
None of his work stands up to close scrutiny, nor can any of his sources for most of his work be found. Theres an old maxim used by newspaper reporters.

WHY let the truth get in the way of a good story

Walter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weary Tourist
Joseph Briggs of Tiffany Glass fame is famous for his bits of coloured glass.
Don't get me wrong, the stained glass windows are truly awe inspiring, and are more like paintings than your normal stained glass windows.

However for me, the person who has been missing from this Hall of Fame (up until now) has to be Richard Ainsworth.

The Lingards of Huncoat

So the coloured glass is pretty, but hats of to Richard Ainsworth who has told me more about this area.
Old 08-09-2004, 20:03   #8

Hi Atarah

Thank you for your reply, i think we may well be related, i have seen the grave stones in the cemetery and i wondered what the connection was with Pilkington being on one side of the stone. I think we have met before a few times in the library you know, thats if you are who i think you are, i'd say your name but im not sure if your anonimous or not. I didnt know about any relative in Holland, if you have anymore info i could have that would be great, thanks again for replying

Reagards Rachel
rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 13:11   #9

Where can I buy a copy of THE LINGUARDS OF HUNCOAT? My Mother and her ancestors are mentioned in this book.I think that it was published about 1928.
Thank you Jim Procter
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 14:10   #10

Thank you Atarah for your kind offer.Someone did photo copy the pages relevant to my family some years ago. When I started researching my Family Tree it was very helpful to get started.I was born in Peel Arm Cottage Dill Hall Lane Church in 1931.I now live in a little village in the East Riding of Yorkshire.But Atarah thanks all the same. I was really interested in owning the complete book.My Family are the Ainsworths and the Iddons back to the Linguards of Huncoat. Best Wishes Jim Procter
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 18:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
Dear All

This is my very first post on this great forum and this is the first page i come to and you mention Richard Ainsworth who i think was great. I am related to the Accrington Friend and well wisher- Henry Parkinson, and without the Book The parkinsons of Lancashire book that i have i would not be able to trace some roots of my family history. I have researched the majority of this book and have double checked his entries and have found them to be most accurated, i hope people of my generation will do what these men did and keep the local history alive and kicking for us all to enjoy, im only 30 and hopefully i will be able to do an updated version of Ainsworths book eventually.

I was also wondering if by chance anyone out there had any information on the Lightbound family from Accrington, i cannot find very much before the 1870,s or if anyone that still exists in Accrington with this name, any help wuold be greatly appreciated.

Rachel
Hiya Rachel,
I'm descended from Lightbowns of Ossie and Accy, the name is sometimes spelt Lightbound, not sure if there's a connection, please PM me.
Kate
Old 16-06-2009, 13:36   #12

Hi, my first time here:
I acquired a copy of The Parkinson Family of Lancashire from Manchester Public Libraries. The booklet is written by Richard Ainsworth. It also mentions a list of 22 Lantern Lectures he gave on various topics. Are these available anywhere?
Also my maiden name is Parkinson.
KayeAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 20:58   #13
Senior Member+

Ainsworth wrote a 32(?) [page pamphlet 'The Parkinson family of Lancashire' in 1932. I suspect it was funded by Henry Parkinson. I think it was given away rather than sold, and with it was a leaflet asking for anyobne who had any knowledge of Parkinssons to contact Ainsworth. In 1936 he published a very thick book of the same title. Both are as scarce as rocking horse muck.I have been dealing in secondhand Lancashire books sisnce 1969 and can recall having had 3 of the big book through my hands and none of the pamphlet, though I have one of my own.

Retlaw is right to say 'treat with caution' but should not dismiss Ainsworth's books as worthless. If we did not have his books, there would be little else to read on Accrington's history.

I shall now PM Rachel to inform her of someone with a fantastic knowledge of the Parkinson name, and I shall PM Jim Procter to tell him that I have a copy of the Lingard family book for sale. On Saturday I will be in Peel Park school and will have some local history books for sale.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 23:00   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Retlaw is right to say 'treat with caution' but should not dismiss Ainsworth's books as worthless. If we did not have his books, there would be little else to read on Accrington's history. .
Oh yes there is Dobo if you know where to look.
There was a series of articles in the paper in 1902
by the Rev W.H. Burgess. I got one of my daughters to type it up for me in my computer. it runs to 151 pages and is a mine of information, to me anyway.

He was going to produce it in a more handy form, but left Accrington for more urgent matters.

It was completely forgotten till I found the articles in the paper. I've checked some of the stuff against Baines and Whittakers works, and with some of the records at Kew, and he's a dammed site more acurate than ainsworth.

And before you start, its in a program called Wordstar, in DOS, and its not compatable with any of bill gates's rubbishy word processors.
The only other person who ever saw this in my computer, was Jack Broderick.

Retlaw.
Old 21-06-2009, 13:19   #15

I have a copy of the 19 page booklet on "The Parkinson Family of Lancashire".
In the back it also mentions a List of "Lantern Lectures" by R. Ainsworth. There are 22 in all on different areas of England. "The Parkinson Family of Lancashire" is number 22 in the series. Does anyone know if copies of the other Lantern Lectures are available. I can list them if you are not sure what I mean.
KayeAnn (Parkinson)
Australia
KayeAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..