Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 19:22   #16

Re: Rules???

I think it's always very sad when teams go bust. Especially those teams which were in at the beginning of the whole shebang. So yes, I think it was big news when they went bust. Having said all that, I am not all that familiar with their history, did they ever win anything of note like the FA cup or the league, even in the early days?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-06-2004, 20:41   #17
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I've read all the posts in this thread and I think if we have an Accrington Hall of Fame it has to include anyone connected to Accrington even if there is a Stanley connection, otherwise please call it "Atarahs Hall of Fame Only", and ban anyone else from making post in that section.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 20:48   #18
Accy Red

Also Atarah for the record Brett Ormerod is famous for being a premiership footballer for Southampton and coming from Accrington. Mike Duxbury for playing for Manchester Utd and coming from Accrington, is what most people know them for so where is the Stanley connection.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 10-06-2004, 13:21   #19
God Member

You need to ask what you mean by "fame".......in the context of Atarah's thread, I would suggest that "fame" is that recognised at at National or even International level....in that respect, "Accrington Stanley FC" - in either it's old or it's reincarnation mode - fulfills the criteria. However, as regards it's current or recent players - however good they are - then it is self-dellusion to believe that they are good enough or well known enough to get into a "Hall of Fame". Sorry guys - you've got to face the facts.

The same applies to players who originate from Accy....I've simply never heard of the guys above (however good they may be). Admitidly, I not a footy fanatic...but I can still recognise the major players on the pitch; and Brett, I'm afraid, is not a major name.Lets get rid of this small town mentality and think big, eh?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 10-06-2004 at 13:27.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 18:31   #20
Accy Red

Ok Tealeaf enough of trying to wind people up we get the drift that you are not at all interested in football, you stick to your rugby union. The best way would be for Atarah to keep adding her own list of "famous People" to the hall of fame and then let people decide for themselves if they deserve to be listed.

Old 11-06-2004, 20:21   #21
Accy Red

I can't let this pass without comment we can have womens hockey players in the hall of fame, yes hockey, but no male footballers, what's going on ???

Old 11-06-2004, 22:04   #22
Accy Goddess

If they are famous and from Accy then they should be in the hall of fame.
No matter who they are.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2004, 14:52   #23
Junior Member+

I have to say that I had people asking me about Mike Duxbury here in Brisbane Australia when he first joined Man United. There is a very patriotic element still out here on the other side of the world and I don't think you can get any more International than that. My family and lots of our English friends were thrilled to see a hometown mate do well. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.
Old 13-06-2004, 22:13   #24
Accy Red

Do you need anymore proof Atarah and Tealeaf that Mike Duxbury maybe is famous enough to be included in the Accy Web "Hall of Fame", thanks Gerry for your support on this topic.

Old 14-06-2004, 09:44   #25
God Member

Bagpuss, this is nonsense. Gerry says someone is famous in Australia because she went to school with him....I'm sorry, I don't see the logic of this argument. These guys are famous on your criteria on the basis that a) they play(ed) football and b) they're from Accy, so they're invariably known by someone.

If you want to stick footy players in here, then surely the basis should be either a) they've been capped for England or b) they have some unique contribution to the game...while no doubt Brett Ormerod is a good premiership player, dos he have an England cap? No.......I vaguely recall that Mike Duxbury picked up a few....but I can't be certain, you see, because he was'nt reallly...famous!
Old 14-06-2004, 19:17   #26
Accy Red

Do you object to cricketers from Accrington who played for England featuring in the "Hall of Fame" or is it just football you have a problem with?

Old 15-06-2004, 06:52   #27
Senior Member+

Problems? What problems?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 08:05   #28
God Member

No problem....have they played for England? I can think of a few and quite a few more who played for Lancashire. Surely the criteria for any sportsman/woman should be "have they been capped for their country.?"

I seem to recall that about 30 years ago the womens world archery champion also came from Accy or hereabouts......Anyone else old enough to remember, or is this a figment of my imagination?
Old 15-06-2004, 19:38   #29

Her name was Fielding I went to school with her sister Kathleen but I cant remember her 1st name
Pheonixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 19:52   #30

Barbara...thats what her 1st name is...my senile owd mind has just remembered LOL
Pheonixx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..