Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2016, 12:13   #61
Full Member+

Re: Sir Harrison Birtwistle

Yes Taddy it is a cattery now and Mill Hill Lane Hapton not Burnley lane Huncoat.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-04-2016, 08:40   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Yes Taddy it is a cattery now and Mill Hill Lane Hapton not Burnley lane Huncoat.
I have always known it as Mill Hill Lane from the ford to Hapton and Burnley Lane from the ford to Huncoat but I alway's stand to be corrected. Your's Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 09:11   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny creasey View Post
Old posts I know! Ive just found the Accy web again after googling "Cunliffe Orchestra" Wondering if anyone has information about the Cunliffe orchestra..... my father was a member sometime from 1910 onwards, and was also in the Huncoat String Band. I have a photo of the latter, but no idea who anyone else is who is inthe picture. There is a recent book "The Lancashire String Band", by Davide Middlehurst..lots of piccys, but again no names for many of the members of the featured groups. Can anyone help fill in names?!!! The Accrington Reed Band is also featured, but again no manes, although I think the lad at the front of the group is my grandfather!!!!. Have a look at the book!!!!!! Has anyone written about the local pipe band? I used to be terrified of them as a child when we went every Whit Monday to Clayton to the Whit walks!!!!
Hi there,
My Aunty (Edna Swain) played in the Cunliffe orchestra during the 30’s and 40’s. You mentioned something about a photo, would it be possible to upload it?

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 09:32   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I have always known it as Mill Hill Lane from the ford to Hapton and Burnley Lane from the ford to Huncoat but I alway's stand to be corrected. Your's Taddy.
I have just had a look on Google Earth, it seems that Burnley Lane runs from Huncoat village to the bridge over the new link road and Mill Hill Lane from the bridge to Hapton.I am Always willing to learn. It would be interesting to know what the entire lane was called when Huncoat was part of Burnley prior to the 1920s. Your's Taddy
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 12:41   #65
Full Member+

Well Childers Green has always been in Hapton so I should think that it has always been Mill Hill Lane to the other side of that and then Burnley Lane.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 09:39   #66
Junior Member+

I have a history of the Accrington Old Band from 1842 to 1900 compiled by Jim Savage and a further history from 1900 to the present East Lancashire Concert Band. Neither is published but the first one contains a picture of the Reed Band with all the names and the second has a picture of Sir Harrison Birtwistle as a young clarinet player with the North East Lancashire Military Band in the mid 1940's. If anyone is interested in looking at either of these, I can be contacted through the web site of the East Lancs Concert Band. Nick Holme Band Chairman.
nholme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 10:55   #67

I'm researching Harrison as we speak and I believe he may be my great uncle.he was born in accrington as was I and most of my family. I have spoken to some of the surviving elders and it looks as if we are related, I've contacted his agent and he's good me he will pass my details on and Harrison will contact me. It will be great if we are related as I believe we are the only two Birtwistle to break into entertainment. I have been a Lancashire based actor for three years now and things are looking good. I will post another comment when Harrison gets back to me. Ps I know a bunch of names you guys have mentioned on this thread it's nice to speak with you.

Thanks guys
Michael Birtwistle
Michael Birtwistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 08:07   #68

BBC reporting as having died at the age of 87
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..