Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2008, 22:20   #16

Re: Sir William Cocker

Great thread, very interesting.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2008, 23:43   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbarton View Post
According to my late mother Conly Riley of Rileys Chemicals had a Rolls Royce - he let my mum drive it, much to the annoyance of Mrs Riley!
also Harry Bradshaw who owned National Mill Stores,Branded Lines, n the Home @ Export warehouse which was next door to the "Arden" inn had a Roller used to clean it fer him in 64.
Old 07-09-2008, 14:21   #18

He also as a building named after him at St. christophers high school
vicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:49   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky1 View Post
He also as a building named after him at St. christophers high school
he was one of the first school governors for St Christophers
back in 61

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 13:39   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
he was one of the first school governors for St Christophers
back in 61
Never knew that, u learn something new every day.
vicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 08:08   #21

Quote:
The house is called "Glen Wold" and was built by my greatgrandfather, Alfred Greenwood. I understand he also built two houses next door. He lost all his money when Bury Brothers collapsed.
I've started a website centred on Glen Wold here:-

Glen Wold
Old 26-03-2009, 11:27   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I've started a website centred on Glen Wold here:-

Glen Wold
Quite interesting that rtbarton
Old 28-04-2013, 08:00   #23

Thanks Atarah and everyone else who has logged info about Sir William Cocker, I'm tracing my family roots. I believe he is my mother's, mother's cousin.
Regards Antty Patty
PS: what is a God member?
Antty Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 12:49   #24
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antty Patty View Post
PS: what is a God member?
If you stay around and post regularly your status will change, dependent on your input & participation your tally increases & you attain various levels, that's all nothing special really!

It just means we're a bit gobbier, self opinionated & spout more drivel than most.

Keep at it & you'll get there.
Old 28-04-2013, 17:46   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
If you stay around and post regularly your status will change, dependent on your input & participation your tally increases & you attain various levels, that's all nothing special really!

It just means we're a bit gobbier, self opinionated & spout more drivel than most.

Keep at it & you'll get there.
Should be near God the Father now Dave
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 23:48   #26
Senior Member+

Sir William was also on the board at Stanley sometime prior to '62.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:52   #27

I met Sir William a couple of times when I worked at Cockers in the 60s - seemed a nice chap. By then he had more or less bowed out of the business and his son (Dr.) Eric was prominent - complete ******!

Tried googling cocker but all I get is coker & cocker spaniels - sad.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:53   #28

Sir William Cocker became Chairman of the Governors at Accrington High School, I think about 1961. He was always present at Speech Day. Later he married Mrs. Rhoda Slinger, widow of the well-known butcher and mother of Edward, Thomas & John. I think they went to live at St. Anne's. Mrs. Slinger taught French at the High School and was an excelllent teacher - she really made you learn the subject but was also very entertaining and interesting. When she died a number of years ago I sent a small donation c/o her son Edward and told him what an inspirational teacher his mother had been.
mobertol likes this.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:55   #29

Sir William's daughter, Mary, married Austin Smith, a partner in Simpson & Ashworth, Solicitors in Cannon Street. He was a widower, and she was his second wife. Austin Smith lived in Southport and used to commute to Accrington almost every day.
Talking of Rolls Royces and local solicitors, what about Dick Rowlands' enormous 2 seater 1926(?) Roller? He inherited it from his father (also a solicitor) who bought it from Lord Roseberry - allegedly because it was the only car he could get behind the wheel of.
Judith Addison likes this.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:10   #30
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
Sir William's daughter, Mary, married Austin Smith, a partner in Simpson & Ashworth, Solicitors in Cannon Street. He was a widower, and she was his second wife. Austin Smith lived in Southport and used to commute to Accrington almost every day.
Talking of Rolls Royces and local solicitors, what about Dick Rowlands' enormous 2 seater 1926(?) Roller? He inherited it from his father (also a solicitor) who bought it from Lord Roseberry - allegedly because it was the only car he could get behind the wheel of.
I think that would be the same Rolls, that as lads walking home from school about 1948/9 would be parked at the end of Grimshaw st Clayton-le-Moors, we would stop and gaze in awe at it. Rowlands had an office on the main road just around the corner.
Judith Addison likes this.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..