Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 18:46   #31

Re: Sir William Cocker

I'm assuming that's the same car he was still driving in the 60's. They made them well back then!
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38   #32
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbarton View Post
Were Cocker's Chemicals and Riley's Chemicals connected in any way? My mother worked for Rileys in the war years, they apparently made war gasses. She sadly died aged 64, just after retiring in 1984. The main problem was respiritory, but to be fair she smoked heavily all her life.
I am a very new member to the site and have scrolled through most of the information and came across Sir William Cockers name. I worked for Sir William and his son Dr. Eric Cocker in the late sixties, 'no computers then, just a typewriter and a phone'. .....Sir William moved to a house called 'Dyke Nook' on Whalley Road, then later moved to huge bungalow in St Anne's. Cocker Chemicals and Riley's chemicals at that time had no links and as far as I know never did!! Cocker Chemicals were linked to a company in the USA call 'Florasynth' together they produced synthetic food flavourings, I would type and send letters to the USA and it could take 10 to 14 days for a reply to reach us, transatlantic calls were so expensive, so a 'telex' machine was installed in my office, it was the size of a baby grand piano. I sent the first message to the USA it took around an hour to receive it on the other side if the Atlantic.....emails weren't thought of for appx another 25 years. I left in July 1970 to have my first child.
churchkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 13:05   #33

According to the phone books, Sir W W Cocker lived

Antley Street 1928 - 1936
Glen Wold 1937 - 1951
Dyke Nook 1952 - 1964

The last reference to Cocker Chemicals I can find is in the 1984 Phone Book.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:44   #34
Full Member+

I remember him as one of the Governor's at St Christopher's
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..