Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2007, 02:13   #1

Snooker tables

Riley's, always seen at Crucible etc.
YellaStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2007, 00:02   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Snooker tables

yep E.J.RILEYS world famous for snooker tables, i once took george best there,you could drive up meadow street from whalley rd in those days.
Old 06-12-2009, 14:02   #3
Junior Member+

George Best purchased a snooker table around 1969/70 from Riley's. My dad worked there and was photographed with him which was autographed by George. It started my love affair with Man U, so if you're the one that took him to buy it............cheers!
Oldschoolthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 14:05   #4
Junior Member+

If I remember right, the table was put in his Cheshire home which was somewhat weird looking but novel. Also a gadget in his car opened up his garage which was quite something in those days.
Oldschoolthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 14:45   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolthai View Post
George Best purchased a snooker table around 1969/70 from Riley's. My dad worked there and was photographed with him which was autographed by George. It started my love affair with Man U, so if you're the one that took him to buy it............cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolthai View Post
If I remember right, the table was put in his Cheshire home which was somewhat weird looking but novel. Also a gadget in his car opened up his garage which was quite something in those days.
it did go in his cheshire home, didn't really take him as such, he just stopped me in his 2 tone E-Type on manchester rd bash n asked me where it was, as i lived just around corner i bummed a lift off him, we stopped at royal oak on meadow st, were i was goin fer a pint n he came in wi me, had a couple of drinks n then popped up to rileys fer his snooker table. theres a bit more to that tale, but kids come on here pmsl

Last edited by cashman; 06-12-2009 at 14:48.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 22:01   #6

Did they end up at Rosegrove, Burnley ?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:18   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Did they end up at Rosegrove, Burnley ?
No they moved to Padiham in th late 70s early 80s
Old 07-12-2009, 14:57   #8

Thanks
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 17:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep E.J.RILEYS world famous for snooker tables, i once took george best there,you could drive up meadow street from whalley rd in those days.
I'm sure there's a picture in the library archives of George Best buying his snooker table at Rileys
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 18:10   #10
Resting in Peace

I remember going over to Rileys at Padiham in the early 80s at the request of Eric Parke, who was a director of Rileys, they wanted me to take a look at a prototype of a pool table they were thinking of marketing at the time. When I arrived Steve Davis and his minder were just going in at the same time, he had just won the world championship the previous week, but he was a really nice bloke to talk no airs and grace, just a down to earth chap really
andynlisa likes this.
Old 09-05-2011, 18:19   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejoed View Post
I'm sure there's a picture in the library archives of George Best buying his snooker table at Rileys
Bet there aint one of him n me having a slurp in the Royal Oak just before he bought it.
Mcloughlin1966 likes this.
Old 10-05-2011, 21:54   #12
Senior Member+

Me dad had a friend and his son fitted tables for rileys he went to Nigel mansells home on the isle of man to put one in for him. He said he was the most miserable ****** he had ever worked for.He also went to Hong kong and they fitted 147 snooker tables in ONE snooker club
Old 11-05-2011, 07:54   #13
Senior Member+

A few snooker players came to Riley's when they were in Accrington.
I lived just round the corner on Hood street at the time and had a few suits made by the little Italian tailor on Meadow street ( next street). He showed my photos of some of the players who came into his shop.
I was given a decent suit length of cloth by my guv'ner and the tailor made me a suit. My claim to fame is; there wasn't enough material to make a waistcoat so the tailor made a contrasting one using the spare material left over from the suit he had just made for Dennis Taylor when he won the final.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:12   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
there wasn't enough material to make a waistcoat so the tailor made a contrasting one
The Original John Virgo ! "No Dad, not the waistcoat !"
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:21   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
The Original John Virgo ! "No Dad, not the waistcoat !"
Once Refereed an exhibition match for John Virgo at the 147 club in Hassy, couldn't keep score for laughing, seeing he brought Steve Davis, Alex Higgins, Denis Taylor, Cliff Thorburn and a few more along with him, twas a laugh a minute

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..