Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2011, 15:57   #1
Junior Member+

Spencer and Beaty chest Expanders

These were made originally in Oz by my Grandad Spencer, when he died it was sold to the Yanks and called SPENBY chest expanders.

Nigel Packer
NJSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-06-2011, 16:47   #2
God Member

Re: Spencer and Beaty chest Expanders

Congratulations
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 09:08   #3
Resting in Peace

Re: Spencer and Beauty chest Expanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSP View Post
These were made originally in Oz by my Grandad Spencer, when he died it was sold to the Yanks and called SPENBY chest expanders.

Nigel Packer
When I was a teenager it was owned by a man called Tom Baldwin and his brother, he was a member of Rhyddings Methodist Church and ran the Youth Club on a Friday night in the adjacent school, he had a son called John, who worked within the business and a Daughter called Margaret who I dated on and off for about 2 years, in fact Tom actually gave me a pair of chest expanders, think he must have thought I might have needed them to handle his offspring
Old 23-06-2011, 10:48   #4

Re: Spencer and Beaty chest Expanders

Some for sale here on ebay. Description says Spenby with Oswaldtwistle, Lancs written on exercise instructions.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 20:19   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When I was a teenager it was owned by a man called Tom Baldwin and his brother, he was a member of Rhyddings Methodist Church and ran the Youth Club on a Friday night in the adjacent school, he had a son called John, who worked within the business and a Daughter called Margaret who I dated on and off for about 2 years, in fact Tom actually gave me a pair of chest expanders, think he must have thought I might have needed them to handle his offspring
I never knew that.

I knew Tom, and his wife Mae, from church, and because we lived near them up Stanhill.

My mum saw Mae recently, and said she still looked well for her age.

Will have to ask her about the chest expanders.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 20:30   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just being picky, incase the Wesleyan police are snooping, it was known as Mount Pleasant Chapel, at the time you are referring to.

It wasn't until York Street, and Foxhill Bank churches merged with it in 1971, that it changed it's name to Rhyddings Methodist.

Old 01-07-2011, 20:39   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Just being picky, incase the Wesleyan police are snooping, it was known as Mount Pleasant Chapel, at the time you are referring to.

It wasn't until York Street, and Foxhill Bank churches merged with it in 1971, that it changed it's name to Rhyddings Methodist.

I only know because my dad was on the building committee, and was against them using Mount Pleasant. Saying it needed a lot of money spent on it, in the long term, plus it would need an extra church hall, to house the Sunday schools.

He was out voted, because some daft sods thought it was a more pleasing building. Not usually high on a Wesleyan agenda, aesthetics.

Guess my dad was right.

York Street's still standing, unlike the original Mount Pleasant Chapel.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:02   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I never knew that.

I knew Tom, and his wife Mae, from church, and because we lived near them up Stanhill.

My mum saw Mae recently, and said she still looked well for her age.

Will have to ask her about the chest expanders.
Well you've told me something there G. didn't realise Mae was still alive, she must be in her 90s now, I know Tom died quite a long time ago and I haven't seen Margaret or John for years, must be nearly 30 years since I saw John and the last time I saw Margaret it was at Oak college (think that's what it was called) open day, when I went with Ken Hargreaves, she was there because her daughter was starting there the following term that's 20 years ago
Old 02-07-2011, 10:05   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I only know because my dad was on the building committee, and was against them using Mount Pleasant. Saying it needed a lot of money spent on it, in the long term, plus it would need an extra church hall, to house the Sunday schools.

He was out voted, because some daft sods thought it was a more pleasing building. Not usually high on a Wesleyan agenda, aesthetics.

Guess my dad was right.

York Street's still standing, unlike the original Mount Pleasant Chapel.

Ya your right it was Mount Pleasant, slipped my mind, but it was a lovely building true Wesleyan architecture, but as you say its long gone

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..