Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2007, 20:18   #16
Super Moderator

Re: The first Accrington Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle View Post
But Who cares anyway... He was THE 1ST ACCRINGTON KNIGHT....RIGHT! And to me, that is not just important, it's a great achievement.
It would've been quite interesting if you'd actually told us what he did to achieve his knighthood. However, you're obviously determined not to...or is it that you don't actually know in the first place?
Old 27-10-2007, 19:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It would've been quite interesting if you'd actually told us what he did to achieve his knighthood. However, you're obviously determined not to...or is it that you don't actually know in the first place?

I was told about him being the first Man in Accrington to be knighted. I did'nt ask what he had done. Does it really matter what he did to achieve it? He got one first and that's that. There are some that get one for doing ****** all. and some who don't belong to this country I was Just interested in it being Accrington. I may have gone into it deeper had it been my home town.
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 20:48   #18
Super Moderator

So, what were all these great things he did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle View Post
Riley Lord went on to do many great things in his lifetime.
Old 29-10-2007, 18:15   #19
Senior Member+

we aint never going to find out

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 11:43   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
we aint never going to find out
It doesn't look like it. Because unless Thindle knows, i've Googled my butt off looking for why, but I can't find a reason anywhere.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 11:55   #21
God Member

Apparently knighted for getting the Newcastle Infirmary built.
Old 07-11-2007, 18:58   #22
Senior Member+

The first Accrington Lord

Seek and thou shalt find
If this photo doesnt work, I will try again.

SIR RILEY LORD

Riley Lord was born in Chapel Street, Accrington in 1838. His father, who was a block printer , died when Riley was only 7 years old, and he was forced to start work at Plantation Mill. (mentioned recently in a thread). Round about that time an Act of Parliament was passed that no child should work under the age of 8. So young Riley was sent home for nearly a year. When back at work, he toiled for twelve hours a day, but he had no intention of remaining a block printer. As soon as work was over for the day, he rushed to the night classes at the Mechanics Institute (now the Registrars offices). At 20 he became an insurance agent, and rose to be chief representative in the North for an important company (The Prudendial). Circa 1885 he was able to spare the time to take an active part in the local politics of Newcastle-on-Tyne. In that year he was elected a member of the Council. He was appointed Sheriff of Newcastle in 1892-3 and elected Mayor in 1895-6 and again in 1899-1900 and the year following. It was during his first mayoralty that he conceived the idea which was destined to immortalize his name in the archives and annals of the City of Newcastle. He it was who founded the Victoria Diamond Jubilee Fund which had for its object the building of a new infirmary. By his efforts a staggering £110,000 was raised ...... much more mentioned about this Accrington born lad in various articles.

Atarah

Nearly 40 yrs after he left Accrington behind, he returned to his native town to present prizes at the Technical School. He was then Sir Riley Lord, the Lord Mayor of Newcastle! So "Dick Whittington" was not a mere fairy tale after all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rileylord.jpg (89.2 KB, 29 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 20:56   #23

that was really intresting enjoyed reading about him he had a tough life when he was young but all worked out great in the end. him being the 1st knight
Old 07-11-2007, 20:59   #24
God Member

Well done Atarah
Old 07-11-2007, 21:04   #25
Super Moderator

At last, the low-down on the mysterious Riley Lord! Thanks very much, Atarah.
Old 10-11-2007, 13:10   #26
Senior Member+

we can all sleep soundly now
many thanx atarah

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 15:31   #27

Re: The first Accrington Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Seek and thou shalt find
.......... As soon as work was over for the day, he rushed to the night classes at the Mechanics Institute (now the Registrars offices). .........
The library was in the MI last time I visited Accy a few years ago. I remember as a child my grandad (Harry Townley Barton) used to take me there when he went to play billiards. I was allowed to play at a vacant table, shooting the balls around by hand. (I could barely see over the edge!)

HTB held a position at the MI for which he received a gold watch when he retired. I think he was the treasurer.
Old 21-02-2010, 09:40   #28

Re: The first Accrington Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Seek and thou shalt find
If this photo doesnt work, I will try again.

SIR RILEY LORD

Riley Lord was born in Chapel Street, Accrington in 1838. His father, who was a block printer , died when Riley was only 7 years old, and he was forced to start work at Plantation Mill. (mentioned recently in a thread). Round about that time an Act of Parliament was passed that no child should work under the age of 8. So young Riley was sent home for nearly a year. When back at work, he toiled for twelve hours a day, but he had no intention of remaining a block printer. As soon as work was over for the day, he rushed to the night classes at the Mechanics Institute (now the Registrars offices). At 20 he became an insurance agent, and rose to be chief representative in the North for an important company (The Prudendial). Circa 1885 he was able to spare the time to take an active part in the local politics of Newcastle-on-Tyne. In that year he was elected a member of the Council. He was appointed Sheriff of Newcastle in 1892-3 and elected Mayor in 1895-6 and again in 1899-1900 and the year following. It was during his first mayoralty that he conceived the idea which was destined to immortalize his name in the archives and annals of the City of Newcastle. He it was who founded the Victoria Diamond Jubilee Fund which had for its object the building of a new infirmary. By his efforts a staggering £110,000 was raised ...... much more mentioned about this Accrington born lad in various articles.

Atarah

Nearly 40 yrs after he left Accrington behind, he returned to his native town to present prizes at the Technical School. He was then Sir Riley Lord, the Lord Mayor of Newcastle! So "Dick Whittington" was not a mere fairy tale after all.
I read with interest your posts on Sir Riley Lord, he was a distant relative of mine and I have been compiling further information on him and his life. Does anyone have any further information that they would be happy to share?
Blagdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..