Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2009, 14:44   #1

Theo Walcott

Theo Walcott the young Arsenal and England footballer has a conection to Accrington. His Grandad Clyde Walcott used to play cricket for Enfield and he lodged with a family in Dill Hall Lane opposite the Cricket Field. He was the Enfield professional in the 1950s. Just thought you would like to know.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-05-2009, 16:21   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Theo Walcott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
Theo Walcott the young Arsenal and England footballer has a conection to Accrington. His Grandad Clyde Walcott used to play cricket for Enfield and he lodged with a family in Dill Hall Lane opposite the Cricket Field. He was the Enfield professional in the 1950s. Just thought you would like to know.
Thanks for that Jim, didn't know that about young Theo, can remember Clyde Walcott, also Everton Weeks and Frank Worrell or the three 'Ws' as they were known. The Lancs League has had some great Professionals down the years, Wes Hall at Accy, Viv Richards and Michael Holding at Rishton, Bobby Simpson at Enfield, and lets not forget that Shane Warne sawed his wild oats in Accy before he became world famous
Old 13-05-2009, 18:00   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thanks for that Jim, didn't know that about young Theo, can remember Clyde Walcott, also Everton Weeks and Frank Worrell or the three 'Ws' as they were known. The Lancs League has had some great Professionals down the years, Wes Hall at Accy, Viv Richards and Michael Holding at Rishton, Bobby Simpson at Enfield, and lets not forget that Shane Warne sawed his wild oats in Accy before he became world famous
Just to add to your list John.....what about this fellow?

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Clive Lloyd

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 19:36   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
No wish to be pedantic Jaysay,but Bobby Simpson was the professional at Accrington not Enfield.

It was the first season I started watching cricket 1959. I think am right he still holds the clubs batting record.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 10:22   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
No wish to be pedantic Jaysay,but Bobby Simpson was the professional at Accrington not Enfield.

It was the first season I started watching cricket 1959. I think am right he still holds the clubs batting record.
Off course he was Bernard, silly me, so who was the long serving pro at Enfield, ah just remembered Conrad Hunt. Im just trying to remember the name of the spinner who played for Rishton, he was English
Old 14-05-2009, 10:34   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Just to add to your list John.....what about this fellow?

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Clive Lloyd
Ya I realise that Roy, but was more or less thinking about Pros from the Hyndburn clubs, just mentioned the three W but only one played in this area. I mean other players in the whole league the were players such as Alan Boarder at EL Roy Gilchrist at Bacup, Azary at Rawtenstall Constantine at Nelson, and probably one of the best bowlers I've ever seen was Chester Watson who pro'd for Church in the early 60 he had some of the most incredible figured ever seen in the league, 7 or 8 for very few was common place. I actually saw Garfield Sobers when he made his one and only appearance in the LL he sub pro'd for Church round 61/62 he had 6 for 30 odd and 49 with the bat, was given out LBW 4 inch above the top of his pads,the Umpire robbed us of a great afternoons entertainment
Old 14-05-2009, 10:42   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Off course he was Bernard, silly me, so who was the long serving pro at Enfield, ah just remembered Conrad Hunt. Im just trying to remember the name of the spinner who played for Rishton, he was English
Was it Jonny Wardle. I never saw him play.
Old 14-05-2009, 12:21   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
You must have seen him play Bernard. I am sure he played for Nelson before Rishton. Same period as Wes Hall at Accy.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 13:18   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
You must have seen him play Bernard. I am sure he played for Nelson before Rishton. Same period as Wes Hall at Accy.
You are probably right Jeff. I don't recall seeing him play, but that probably says more about my memory.

I recall the period Wes Hall played for Acc quite well. I saw him take all ten wickets at one match. I think he may have done that a couple times.
Old 14-05-2009, 14:08   #10
Resting In Peace

Quote:
You are probably right Jeff. I don't recall seeing him play, but that probably says more about my memory.

I recall the period Wes Hall played for Acc quite well. I saw him take all ten wickets at one match. I think he may have done that a couple times.
10 for 57 against Burnley at Accrington on 14th July 1962
10 for 28 against Bacup at Accrington on 25th August 1962
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 16:23   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Cheers Bernard, couldn't think of his name to sve my life
Old 15-05-2009, 08:03   #12

Heres the man.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65682_icon.jpg (4.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 67752_icon.jpg (3.9 KB, 11 views)
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 07:04   #13

Bobby Simpson played for Accrington
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 07:06   #14

The spi9nner at Rishton could have been "Johny Wardle"
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 00:33   #15

the late davy jones sister haaaaaaaaaaa
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..