Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2008, 22:58   #1
Resting in Peace

Bank information.

Little troubled by these E-mails, what do you think ?

Dear Natwest Bank Internet Banking user!

Our Maintenance Division is carrying out an arranged On-line Banking Service update

By visiting the link below please open the procedure of the customer login authorization:

These directives are to be e-mailed and followed by all users of the Natwest Digital Banking

NatWest does apologize for any troubles caused to you, and is very grateful for your collaboration.

If you are not client of NatWest Digital Banking please disregard this notice!

*** This is automatically generated email please do not reply ***

(c) 2008 NatWest Bankline Internet Banking. All Rights Reserved.

The link does not work on copy/paste, but ask you for all you details .. well, no .. don't think so. Am I wrong or what ? Get them often and sometimes the link is invalid as shown on here.

Entwisi may know.

Last edited by Len; 20-04-2008 at 13:31. Reason: Removed suspicious link
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-04-2008, 23:07   #2

Re: Bank information.

I get them fairly regular in one mail account. I normally look up the stated banks official website then browse the site for the fraudulent e-mail reporting facility, they all have them in some form or other.

They generally advise you not to click any links within the mail, but to forward it to their fraud investigation unit (name varies according to bank) then delete the mail.
Old 19-04-2008, 23:25   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I get them fairly regular in one mail account. I normally look up the stated banks official website then browse the site for the fraudulent e-mail reporting facility, they all have them in some form or other.

They generally advise you not to click any links within the mail, but to forward it to their fraud investigation unit (name varies according to bank) then delete the mail.
Thanks Bonnyboy, will follow your advice .. am suspicious ..probably listening to too much Martin Lewis .. .. nevertheless, 'tis all very strange.
Old 19-04-2008, 23:37   #4
Resting in Peace

These are the most worrying (or clever):-

(Bank Logo Here)

Personal Private Business Commercial
Day to day | Save and invest | Borrow | Insure | Latest deals

• Automated Security Notice

• As part of our security measures, We believe that, in everything else, you deserve the best in banking too. Therefore protective measures is been applied to satisfy our striving costumer needs. Our technical service department is currently upgrading our SSL servers to enhance adequate banking security, to give our costumers a better, fast and secure online banking service. We noticed several unsuccessful login attempts and therefore have decided to temporarily restrict your online access. To regain access to your online banking Please click on • Online Banking Logon to continue the verification process. • (Failure to verify your Online Access service changes will lead to account disconnection)

Thank you.
Online Banking Security Team
NatWest Internet Banking.
(c)2007 All Rights Reserved

Legal | Privacy | Security | Affiliates | Media | About us | Glossary
Old 19-04-2008, 23:39   #5
Senior Member+

I would check on the website.. if they are doing anything to the online banking they would put it on there..

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 23:46   #6

Only ever had one dodgy mail supposedly from my actual bankers. Had at least a dozen more from banks other than my own. All the logo's etc. look spot on. I just do as indicated above.
Old 20-04-2008, 04:00   #7
God Member

You wont get emails from your bank asking for personal details, so don't even bother opening them, just report them and delete them. Don't even bother opening them until your bank confirms that it is from them, which you should be able to check with a quick phone call.

Generally banks never email you unless you have contacted them via online resources in the first place or made a transaction online of some sort.

REPORT AND DELETE.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 07:38   #8
God Member

agree 100%, you will NEVER get an email, if they want to contact you they will write to you.

NEVER EVER EVER click or even copy a link from an email regarding your bank/ebay/paypal/credit card/<insert any financial institution>. its a con.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 07:51   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
agree 100%, you will NEVER get an email.

thats exactly what i was told by my bank some years ago, i've been getting these emails for a few months now, i never open them, i just delete them
Old 20-04-2008, 10:24   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Kate you really should not have posted that dodgy link on this forum. Someone may click it and find it is a trojan or some other nasty trying to find out personal information about them or take control of their PC. Just delete these email whenever you receive them. I hope no one has clicked that link.
Old 20-04-2008, 10:32   #11
Senior Member+

Ive had these from banks other than my own, i just report and delete them
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 10:35   #12
Resting in Peace

Thanks everyone, you are correct, have taken a look at the Natwest site and they do have stern warnings about this type of what they call 'phishing'.
Wondered what that word meant ...

I must have my stupid head on this month, musn't I ?

Got a feeling that I may have filled one in a few months ago,(only just gone back to Internet Banking a few months ago) but my account appears to be intact .. they probably didn't think was worth bothering with

Most of the links, there is nothing there, but the latest did have and had heard Martin Lewis telling Jeremy Vine to never, ever, give any details of yourself it they ring you either.

Have recently received a letter from the bank re. a further security measure saying I will receive a Card-Reader that looks like a small pocket calculator along with simple instrutions on its use. All sounds perculiar again to me ??

Perhaps now overly suspicious but they have headed my addressee name with Mrs. (one christian) name and (surname).

All my accounts and correspondence usually are headed Mrs. (two letters of my christian names) and surname. Perhaps I am now getting a little bit too suspicious.
Old 20-04-2008, 10:40   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Have recently received a letter from the bank re. a further security measure saying I will receive a Card-Reader that looks like a small pocket calculator along with simple instrutions on its use. All sounds perculiar again to me ??
Don't worry I have the machine in my hand as we speak. You will or will have had a new chip and pin card to use with it as well. I did not get a letter beforehand so wondered why they had sent me a new card. I still don't really know what it is for (the card that is) it looks like a standard debt card.

Last edited by Neil; 20-04-2008 at 10:44.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 10:44   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Kate you really should not have posted that dodgy link on this forum. Someone may click it and find it is a trojan or some other nasty trying to find out personal information about them or take control of their PC. Just delete these email whenever you receive them. I hope no one has clicked that link.
Sorry ... Nothing there anyway when I have put it up, only on my E-Mail.

Have gone into the site re. this reader which is NatWest - Card Reader User Guide and seems Ok then ?
Old 20-04-2008, 10:53   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Don't worry I have the machine in my hand as we speak. You will or will have had a new chip and pin card to use with it as well. I did not get a letter beforehand so wondered why they had sent me a new card. I still don't really know what it is for (the card that is) it looks like a standard debt card.

I got the card reader yesterday. They said they had told me about it in a letter which I haven't had. Not had a different card either

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..