Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2009, 13:07   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool *** beware ***

Scam email received today. It reads:
Quote:
After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Tax refund value is $189.60.

Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 6-9 days in order to IWP the data received.
If u don't receive your refund within 9 business days from the original IRS mailing date shown, you can start a refund trace online.

If you distribute funds to other organization, your records must show wether they are exempt under section 497 (c) (15). In cases where the recipient org. is not exempt under section 497 (c) (15), you must have evidence the funds will be used for section 497 (c) (15) purposes.

If you distribute fund to individuals, you should keep case histories showing the recipient's name and address; the purpose of the award; the maner of section; and the realtionship of the recipient to any of your officers, directors, trustees, members, or major contributors.

To access the form for your tax refund, please link removed

This notification has been sent by the Internal Revenue Service, a bureau of the Department of the Treasury.

Sincerely Yours,

John Stewart
Director, Exempt. Organization
Rulings and Agreements Letter
Internal Revenue Service

It’s a phishing email to get your credit card details.

Last edited by Roy; 27-02-2009 at 13:18.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2009, 13:14   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: *** beware ***

Why do you lot have to post this rubbish and include the links to the phishing site as well?
Old 27-02-2009, 13:17   #3
Senior Member+

oh no! i got this the other day

and i was sooo looking forward to spending my Internal Revenue DOLLARS!!!

i feel such a fool

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 13:19   #4
God Member

I don't think anyone here would fall for that - it is aimed at yanks.
My spam is better class - in French

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 13:35   #5
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: *** beware ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why do you lot have to post this rubbish and include the links to the phishing site as well?
Why do you feel the need to reply with your own rubbish in such a disparaging manner?

I started the thread to give the reader the heads up on yet another scam.

I didn’t fall for it and neither did one or two others but someone might and if you don’t think that they should be informed then you are to be pitied.

I left the link in place because it was benign as far as nasties was concerned and it showed the viewer what the web page was like.
Old 27-02-2009, 13:58   #6
K-P

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz................
Old 27-02-2009, 14:21   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I left the link in place because it was benign as far as nasties was concerned and it showed the viewer what the web page was like.
I am sorry to say that only an idiot would post a warning about a phising site and then include a link to the site.

I had hoped you had posted it by accident.
The mods must agree as they removed it after I reported it.
Old 27-02-2009, 14:47   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: *** beware ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am sorry to say that only an idiot would post a warning about a phising site and then include a link to the site.

I had hoped you had posted it by accident.
The mods must agree as they removed it after I reported it.
And only a stupid idiot would respond in the way that you did.

You quoted me is stating that I left the link in place and then have the stupid audacity to try and soften your comments by stating “I had hoped you had posted it by accident.

Sheeeesh!
Old 27-02-2009, 15:28   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
And only a stupid idiot would respond in the way that you did.

You quoted me is stating that I left the link in place and then have the stupid audacity to try and soften your comments by stating “I had hoped you had posted it by accident.

Sheeeesh!
Tsk, one would feel that Neil had more sense than to think you did something wrong, wouldn't one, Butt?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 15:43   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
oh no! i got this the other day

and i was sooo looking forward to spending my Internal Revenue DOLLARS!!!

i feel such a fool

Not a big deal ... $190 wouldn't pay for a good night on the town
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 16:06   #11
Resting in Peace

Just another scam probably started in Kenya, you have to hand it to them they keep trying
Old 27-02-2009, 16:09   #12
God Member

If anybody in the uk is daft enough to fall for that one they shouldn't have been released in to the community let alone use a PC
Old 27-02-2009, 16:11   #13
Caz
God Member

lol, anyone hovered over the link now?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 16:16   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If anybody in the uk is daft enough to fall for that one they shouldn't have been released in to the community let alone use a PC
If someone throws out enough of these lures, there is probably more than one fish stupid enough to bite .... maybe it's aimed at those who come home from the bar, smoke a doobie, and sit down to read their e-mail ... you know, at that time of night, and in that state of obliteration, where most things make some sort of sense, even obvious bs.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 16:25   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
If someone throws out enough of these lures, there is probably more than one fish stupid enough to bite .... maybe it's aimed at those who come home from the bar, smoke a doobie, and sit down to read their e-mail ... you know, at that time of night, and in that state of obliteration, where most things make some sort of sense, even obvious bs.
Are you suggesting this thread was started from a personal experience situation ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..