Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2014, 17:26   #1
Senior Member+

Beware!!!

Just thought I'd give folks a heads up about some dodgy PayPal emails flying about at min, should you use PayPal and get one of these emails that 'doesn't address you by name' then forward it to PayPal I think the address is [email protected].
I also get them now and again from cretins pretending to be banks. I suppose the trick is never click links in the emails purporting to be from companies. Always go directly to their website.

It's suprising that there are still enough people falling for these shenanigans to make it worth the cretins efforts/costs. Saying that i suppose it doesn't take much effort/cost to send a load of emails out and set up a spoof site (but what would I know).
I must admit though, our peg fell for one once purporting to be from netflix. the links even sent her to a site that played programmes. yet it wasn't Netflix.
I had to let the bank know and they sent us a new card out.needless to say she's now banned from online purchases etc

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-08-2014, 21:56   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Beware!!!

I get 1 or 2 of those a day, I always send em to that addy, Then i get 1 or 2 back from paypal, thanking me fer reporting the spoof e-mails etc, but as ive been getting the same uns fer many months, seems like they aint very good at catching the beggers. Its always worth the efforts from these con artists, cos e-mails cost sod all.

Last edited by cashman; 01-08-2014 at 21:58. Reason: addition.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 15:39   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I get 1 or 2 of those a day, I always send em to that addy, Then i get 1 or 2 back from paypal, thanking me fer reporting the spoof e-mails etc, but as ive been getting the same uns fer many months, seems like they aint very good at catching the beggers. Its always worth the efforts from these con artists, cos e-mails cost sod all.
1 or 2 per day , they must know about your secret stash C

password--Accyweb
Old 02-08-2014, 17:14   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
1 or 2 per day , they must know about your secret stash C
Used to get oer 200 e-mails a day drives yeh nuts, cos yeh cant delete all, yeh gotta check through first that theres sod all yeh want in em, got that many fer years, its down to around 60/70 a day these days, manageable but a sod when we go away fer 1 month, which we do sometimes.
Old 02-08-2014, 18:50   #5
Senior Member+

I've been getting Ebay/fake bank emails for a while,never had more than 5 in a day though....I bet you dread coming back to thousands of the things and having to go through them all one by one

password--Accyweb
Old 02-08-2014, 21:05   #6
Senior Member+

Beware!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Used to get oer 200 e-mails a day drives yeh nuts, cos yeh cant delete all, yeh gotta check through first that theres sod all yeh want in em, got that many fer years, its down to around 60/70 a day these days, manageable but a sod when we go away fer 1 month, which we do sometimes.

I think you need to be more careful who you give your email address to.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 13:08   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I think you need to be more careful who you give your email address to.
I know that now, years ago i didn't, thats why i assume they are down to 60/70 a day now? Now only firms i deal with get it, but too late was the cry.if yeh aint computer savvy thats the score imho.
Studio25 likes this.
Old 03-08-2014, 13:35   #8
Senior Member+

Beware!!!

60-70 a day is still a lot. If they are legit companies sending you offers etc. there will be an unsubscribe button somewhere (usually near the end of the email). Any dodgy ones you can mark as spam then they won't make it to your inbox next time.
Old 03-08-2014, 15:27   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
60-70 a day is still a lot. If they are legit companies sending you offers etc. there will be an unsubscribe button somewhere (usually near the end of the email). Any dodgy ones you can mark as spam then they won't make it to your inbox next time.
I think many legit companies sell e-mail addys on regardless, i stopped marking em as spam awhile back, when it told me i had marked me full quota. which is very poor i think, should be no limit.
Old 03-08-2014, 15:36   #10
Senior Member+

Beware!!!

Never knew there was a limit, bit daft if you ask me. A bit of time unsubscribing from the legit ones is well worth it. 60-70 a day would do my head in.
Old 03-08-2014, 15:37   #11
Senior Member+

for the most part these scammers get your emails from public sites. Good practice is never to post your email on a site that anybody can view without signing up...
Old 03-08-2014, 15:53   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Never knew there was a limit, bit daft if you ask me. A bit of time unsubscribing from the legit ones is well worth it. 60-70 a day would do my head in.
Not good i agree,can cope wi that though, cos i'm retired n go on quite a few times most days, but can see it would be a bitch if i worked fer a living.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:00   #13
Senior Member+

Speaking of "scammers", a while back, My mother nearly got conned over the phone. Someone rang up saying they were from Barclays (who she had a current account with at the time) and started asking for details. Luckily I was in the room and clocked what was going on I got the phone off her and told them to go forth and multiply and hung up (if I wasn't there though I'd say she would of glady passed them info).

Afterwards she was a little uneasy, worrying it may of been genuine so to put her mind at rest I rang Barclays (after security questions and getting consent to speak to me) I asked them if they ever made calls asking for account details, I was going to have a good rant at them if they'd actually made the call. As I thought though, it wasn't off them.

Nowadays, I'm still suspicious even if the caller display gives the correct phone number. I heard even they can be spoofed using certain shenanigans.

I assume they just had my mothers phone number and were fishing for the rest. I guess they say they're Barclays etc and a certain percentage will have a Barclays account and they then try to reel them in with BS

password--Accyweb
Old 04-08-2014, 13:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Someone rang up saying they were from Barclays (who she had a current account with at the time) and started asking for details.
Always give the wrong details first time around, if they called you. If you fail the security check, they are legit and you can give them the correct answer on the second try. If they accept the fake details, you can have a bit of fun with them...

Accyexplorer likes this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 14:46   #15
Beacon of light

I would also like to add my twopennyworth here.
Recently I have had a couple of e-mails purporting to be fron BT saying that my payment hasn't cleared.
The e-mail addy looked Kosher...it was from e-billing at BT....but when I went into the e-mail to check, my security system flagged it up as a risk and prevented me from going further.
I send such e-mails to [email protected] so that they know what is going on.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..